I receive the Sacrament of Penance today

I receive the Sacrament of Penance today…
for the first time in 10 years!
I cannot describe the JOY I feel inside! I cannot believe it!
If only I could share the joy I feel!

I just have a small question,
should I forget about my past sins, the ones which were forgiven?
And
How come we can’t have communion unless we confessed our sins first?

It has been an amazing day for me!

The priest asked me, “So what made you come here today?”
and I answered, “The Holy Spirit”
and I think he was happy :smiley:

I remember this feeling after coming home from a 21 year absence… I’m really happy for you!

your answers
1–YES
2–Because you dont go to a wedding wearing 'dirty clothes"

First of all let me just say - Praise God and his infinite Mercy and Love.

I’m not sure what you mean by “past sins that have been forgiven”. If they were previously confessed then you need not confess them again.
If you have a lot of sins to confess, you might want to “bundle them”. By that I mean, many individual sins might be caused by the same defect such as Lust. Rather than try to go through 10 years of sin, simply confess that you have “sinned often agains purity”, or something like that. When I went to confession (after 30 years) I used the “Seven deadly Sins” as my guide to summarize how I had failed God.

We confess first so that we may meet Christ in communion with a free and clear conscience. Or as the poster before me said, we don’t wear dirty clothes to a wedding.

In any event - congratulations and welcome home!! :thumbsup:

Peace
James

Cool. It would be nice if novus ordo churches made the sacrament more available to the people. My church has it 16 times Monday-Saturday and before/during mass on Sundays. Many novus ordo churches offer it for less than two hours a week–ouch!

[quote=polgas733;6285374
]

In case anyone reading this gets the wrong impression, perhaps we should clarify that the Sacrament of Penance (‘Confession’) is only required before Holy Communion in the case of mortal sin.

For less serious sins (‘venial sins’) repentance expressed privately to God by means of the Penitential Rite at the start of Mass, or something similar is all that’s required.
[/quote]

A Catholic is required to confess “mortal sins” …before Holy Communion.

Hopefully that they will never have any…

Awesome! Welcome home! I came back after an absence of 8 years, and I well remember that feeling. I think I walked on air for days.

Yep, the Holy Spirit sent that nudge, and you had the good sense to follow it up in obedience and humility.

What an amazing thing is His mercy!

Wonderful! :smiley:

:extrahappy: :whackadoo:

I went today, too. I love it. :thumbsup:

Forget about them the way a husband would want a wayward wife to forget her affairs.
Remember that you fell, and take care not to put yourself in situations where it might happen again. (Take the number of your “lovers” off of your speed dial!)
Remember that you fell, and re-double your devotion to your true love.
But do not dwell always on the past to the detriment of today.
Do not worry that he holds it against you, for he is not prone to the grudges of the fallen.
Do not worry that he does not understand you. He knows you better than you know yourself, and loves you all the same.
Forget your sin, then, in order to just be in love with God. That is all God ever wants.

Thnx guys

until now
all i can feel is joy! Nothing but joy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.