I regret giving up on model railroading. What do you regret?

A lengthy post explaining my situation.

What I'm looking for are other people's stories and ways we can learn from our mistakes, even if all we can do is pass on the lesson to other generations.

I was asked a question in another thread about my reasons for not sticking with model railroading throughout my adult life.

The answer isn't suitable for that thread so I started this one.

I still love trains and model trains. As a teenager I had an 8' X 10' layout in my parents basement. I was also involved with the Lake Simcoe Railway Modellers.

After university I made a decision which I now regret.

While at university I was heavily involved in a Christian campus group.
When I compared that life to the lives of those I knew before and the lives I read about in Model Railroader I came to realize that many people made model railroading their religion. I therefore wanted to choose a different path.

Years later I finally owned a house with a decent sized basement. I considered my carefully stored models, but in the end I decided that it was more important to fix a leek or install baseboards than to build a train layout.
Big mistake -- I missed out on two opportunities:

1)
I'm not a handy-man and I find it almost impossible to take on any project. In retrospect I see that if I was building a train layout, and therefore always working on different projects, then MAYBE I'd find it easier to take on other stuff around the house.

2)
My kids have now left home. I never introduced them to the joys of having a hobby. Heck, when I was in high school my friends were often bored, not me!
I could have taught them a lot of skills and they could have experienced the magic, and frustration, of running scale model trains.

Has anyone else missed out by their decisions of their youth??

"N"- Scale model railroading.

Could run a 100-car freight. Family started to get involved, but then let it get away, got too elaborate, and it took way too much time and energy. Family gave up on it. Then I had to give up also.

Still have the trains. Basement is too damp, though. [We had them, first in the living room and then in the attic.]

Should have kept the family project and moved it to the attic and then gently added on.

Where to start on regrets?!?

Okay, not planting a thousand black walnut trees 30 years ago. I could have, but it always seemed like there were other priorities.

Not practicing the piano enough, so that I’m now very rusty at it.

As a protestant, some years ago, I entered college intending to major in instrumental music. The party atmosphere in the university department was a bit too much for me, and I thought about switching to a Christian college, but I didn’t want to go into debt. (I had a scholarship to the school I was attending). Music has always been one of “my ways to God” and I think had I switched to a Christian school, getting a degree in music would have enriched my life far more. I ended up getting a degree in counseling, which wasn’t a bad move, but music speaks to me at a very deep level. I love jazz, Gregorian chant, classical, rock, funk and rap (well done, with a good message). Today I sing in the church choir and am thinking about picking up my trumpet again.

Oh, wow. If that's your only regret in life, god bless you.
I don't even know where to begin. However, if some things I've done did not come to pass, then some things I consider to be a blessing would not have happened. Who knows.

But if I could go back in time and do anything, I'd try harder, much harder, to stop my first husband from leaving this earth....that's one of my biggest regrets. I think of it almost every day.
Now I have to get.....

[quote="creationlover, post:4, topic:202068"]

Today I sing in the church choir and am thinking about picking up my trumpet again.

[/quote]

So what are you waiting for? Pick up that trumpet!

:extrahappy:

[quote="phoenixrrt62, post:5, topic:202068"]
Oh, wow. If that's your only regret in life, god bless you.
I don't even know where to begin. However, if some things I've done did not come to pass, then some things I consider to be a blessing would not have happened. Who knows.

But if I could go back in time and do anything, I'd try harder, much harder, to stop my first husband from leaving this earth....that's one of my biggest regrets. I think of it almost every day.
Now I have to get.....

[/quote]

Hello, phoenix ...

Hail and well met.
Since we're both phoenixes, maybe that's why I can relate to your post.
It sure is deep.
My one regret would be sin.
Meanwhile, I try to do the best I can with what I have now.
And guess what? It's possible to find new dreams even later in life.
It turns out that I'm an artist.
And that kinda sorta happened due to my strange Forrest Gump-like life.
That said, I'm sorry about your first husband.

~~ phoenix

yeah...sin. I feel you there, I think I probably do wrong to someone's soul every 3 seconds, with my warped outlook on life and my sarcasm, don't mean to, mind, but...oh, well.
I wear a mobius bracelet with the prayer of St Francis on it. When I actually went to mass forever ago, I loved the song they sung, his prayer. Sometimes I sing it to myself when I feel espicially annoyed. I have stronger words...but this wouldn't be the forum to use them.

So you are an artist? That sounds amazing. I used to draw once upon a time, it helps, you can get lost for hours in creating a picture, a good escape-was for me, anyhow. For some reason I just stopped when I was 16, never really went back to it, d/k why.

I can feel from your words that you've had your share of trouble...you know, I think this. The earth is a school, we are here to learn. Lessons for the soul, so to speak, and what we do with them, well...it helps us to understand and love better in this life and other lives to come. You know?

I regret not living my life to the fullest when I was young, instead of spending all my time at work. That "I gotta work at all times" attitude cost me very dearly, and I still shed hot tears for that attitude and what it cost me today.

I regret not purchasing that Nightmist Blue 1966 Mustang GT 2+2 fastback that I had assembled so carefully in my dreams, instead of settling for that mundane Galaxie sedan.

Or, perhaps I should have remained in the military... I would have been much more physically and financially secure than I am today.

I should have obeyed my medical advice back in February, 1994 and stayed home from work that day and called in sick (like I was) instead off being so conscientious. Going in to work that day cost me the "comfortable" (but not extravagant) retirement I had planned and worked for.

Viewing my life in the rear-view mirrors is a sad and depressing pastime... looking at the balance, I see many more regrets than rejoicings.

:(

I regret not praying and seeking God's Will for HIM to bring me the spouse HE wanted for me, instead I just fell head over heels in love without thinking and married. I married a non-Christian without a heart for God, who is weak, of the world, and a weak moral character. It is very sad, because one of our sons is just like him I'm afraid, my other son is not, thanks be to God, but of strong character, and a heart for the Lord. There is still hope for both my husband and one son, though, with lots of prayer, especially for my son! I'm leaving my h solely to God at this point. I also regret not waiting until my husband was completely repentent and remorseful before taking him back after his affair. Stupid me! But I was not strong enough then. So I've had to forgive myself.

I also regret not getting my teaching credential when I was nearly done with it, dropping out of the program, or today I'd have a very good profession.

Live and learn.

I did what I did, and God is good still.
What a great question!

Oh, boy...what a question!! I regret:

1. Criticizing the Catholic Church. I badgered my Catholic friends in college with my oh-so-assured arguments and fallacies. They responded with charity. Ironically, five years later, I converted. :D And they were thrilled. But I regret the falsehoods I spread in ignorance about our Church, our Lady, and the saints.

2. Straying from Christian orthodoxy in my college years. I believed there was a God, I believed Jesus was God...but I didn't think He had much to do with my life. He never entered my consciousness during the day or night. I occasionally remembered that Sunday was a day some people went to church. Later in college, the only church whose doors I darkened more than once was the local Catholic church. But I was still convinced that (a) Catholics were wrong and (b) they wouldn't want me in their Church considering how far I'd fallen.

3. Taking the easy road in my college studies and not doing what I loved. Yes, my career has been interesting, but it is a dying industry. Now I must go back and finish what I started - my medical education. Someday, I will be a nurse practitioner; I started out to be a doctor, but I don't think I can manage that schedule with my family obligations.

There are more. Some of them proved to be blessings in disguise. With others, our Lord, in His Mercy, turned into good things or redemptive suffering.

I regret allowing myself to gain so much weight (I currently weigh 235 pounds at 5'8
" and I have weighed as much as 267 pounds last summer) and allowing myself to get so out of shape.

I gained most of my weight during my pregnancies. I kept saying that I would lose the weight AFTER I had the babies, AFTER I weaned the babies, AFTER the babies were both in school, AFTER the girls were out of grade school, AFTER the girls learned how to drive, AFTER the girls got into college...

But by then the damage to my ankles and knees had already been done. Now I'm 53 and I creep around in more-or-less constant pain from osteoarthritis of the knees. I can't kneel or genuflect. I've had two surgeries already.

For the last several years, my husband and I have been working on eating correctly and exercising several days a week. For me, that exercise is a recumbent bike or swimming because I can't do much weight-bearing. I don't burn a lot of calories with these exercises (compared to running or walking). I've lost 30 pounds since last November--slow but sure. I'm working with a dietician to re-train my eating habits.

But I regret gaining the weight to begin with, and I recommend to all men and women, DO NOT PUT OFF HEALTH! Do it while you're young and the weight comes off easier and the muscles get strong faster.

Looks like you opened up a Pandoras’ Box on this thread Reginator;now I can call you Sir!!:smiley: well done Sir Reginator

I was reading all the regrets that other posters have contributed,I must say on reflection that I do not dwell on the past.The thought that crossed my mind was the words of St.Augustine —

“Late have I loved You,O Beauty so ancient and so new;late have I loved You! For behold You were within me,and I outside;and I sought you outside and in my ugliness fell upon those lovely things that you have made.You were with me and I was not with you.I was kept from you by those things,yet had they not been in you,they would not have been at all.You called and cried to me and broke open my deafness:and you sent forth your beams and shone upon me and chased away my blindness:you breathed fragrance upon me,and drew in my breath and do pant for you: I tasted you,and now hunger and thirst for you: You touched me,and I have burned for your peace” (from the Confessions-part taken from the Office of Readings 28th.August;of the Divine Office)

I know that you ,Sir Reginator started this thread on a lighter note;but I think from the postings so far–your “regrets” thread has revealled a real need we all have at times and even the “if only I had taken this path or not done that”–

So my regret is that I have not always learnt from my past sins and bad choices;not changing my life as St.Augustine did after his conversion to Christ.Instead I regret the back sliding since Christ picked me up from the gutters when I was twenty two-----!

There is one thing I did learn from reading the life of St.Augustine The Bishop,which applies to most of the regret stories so far,including my own is this—

When St.Augustine converted some African people;they went around burning all the pagan temples and buildings;generally running a muck with their new found “zeal”.St.Augustine put a stop to this and told the offenders that the pagan temples could be now used for worshiping the True God. So too if we have misused our bodies or made bad choices,we now can use ourselves as “living stones”–“a dwelling place for God”,a temple of The Holy Spirit.

So like St.Paul “I forget the past”;leave the future to God and try to live in the present which in reality is all we have anyway"

AND YES I REGRET TO DID NOT LEARN TO PLAY THE GUITAR!!:smiley:
(instead it was the piano accordian,brass instruments,harmonica and generally playing around!!:eek:)

Oh, wow. I have the same problem, I’m managing to get the weight off, so far 20 pounds, and about a trillion more to go…hehe.
Actually, if I get to 150 (I am 5’5" and about 190 right now) I will be ok…but it’s getting there that’s half the battle.
I got lazy when I got out of the Army, and coupled with going to school, working PT, raising a little one…then leaving the second husband, well, pfft. I dug myself a hole, for sure. Heh.

Here’s to losing the weight! You know what seems to help? Overeater’s Anonymous. I go on line, I need to go to a live meeting soon, though;0)

[quote="Ponyguy, post:9, topic:202068"]
I regret not living my life to the fullest when I was young, instead of spending all my time at work. That "I gotta work at all times" attitude cost me very dearly, and I still shed hot tears for that attitude and what it cost me today.

I regret not purchasing that Nightmist Blue 1966 Mustang GT 2+2 fastback that I had assembled so carefully in my dreams, instead of settling for that mundane Galaxie sedan.

Or, perhaps I should have remained in the military... I would have been much more physically and financially secure than I am today.

I should have obeyed my medical advice back in February, 1994 and stayed home from work that day and called in sick (like I was) instead off being so conscientious. Going in to work that day cost me the "comfortable" (but not extravagant) retirement I had planned and worked for.

Viewing my life in the rear-view mirrors is a sad and depressing pastime... looking at the balance, I see many more regrets than rejoicings.

:(

[/quote]

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry....and yeah, you know the saying, people who are dying don't regret not working more....but you just kinda feel like if you don't put in the time when they need you, they might suffer, you know...and then you feel guilty, meh. A vicious cycle. I had to learn the word NO, and use it;0)

I used to feel that way a while ago, the military loved me, b/c I'd be dumb enough to volunteer for all kinds of ****, so much so that my squad leader would NOT let me volunteer after a while, HA!

That changed somewhat after I had my kid, esp. so after I had to raise him alone. Sometimes I still go and work or extend myself to the detriment of my son, and I have to step back and recall what is really important, you know?

I'm sorry about your medical condition, too...that must be hard. Yeah....sometimes people extend themselves SO much they hurt themselves, and for what, you know? Like my boss was just telling me last week(!!) you and your family come first, the job can wait, you know?

***....So too if we have misused our bodies or made bad choices,we now can use ourselves as "living stones"--"a dwelling place for God",a temple of The Holy Spirit.

So like St.Paul "I forget the past";leave the future to God and try to live in the present which in reality is all we have anyway"........***

I really like that idea, I might understand it differently, not being religious and not being roman catholic, but, what a wonderful idea.
Thanks so much for sharing that!!!

[quote="Cat, post:12, topic:202068"]
I regret allowing myself to gain so much weight (I currently weigh 235 pounds at 5'8
" and I have weighed as much as 267 pounds last summer) and allowing myself to get so out of shape.

I gained most of my weight during my pregnancies. I kept saying that I would lose the weight AFTER I had the babies, AFTER I weaned the babies, AFTER the babies were both in school, AFTER the girls were out of grade school, AFTER the girls learned how to drive, AFTER the girls got into college...

But by then the damage to my ankles and knees had already been done. Now I'm 53 and I creep around in more-or-less constant pain from osteoarthritis of the knees. I can't kneel or genuflect. I've had two surgeries already.

For the last several years, my husband and I have been working on eating correctly and exercising several days a week. For me, that exercise is a recumbent bike or swimming because I can't do much weight-bearing. I don't burn a lot of calories with these exercises (compared to running or walking). I've lost 30 pounds since last November--slow but sure. I'm working with a dietician to re-train my eating habits.

But I regret gaining the weight to begin with, and I recommend to all men and women, DO NOT PUT OFF HEALTH! Do it while you're young and the weight comes off easier and the muscles get strong faster.

[/quote]

Just wondering if YOu, per chance are the Cat that used to be on Family Life. PM me if you want.

Oh people!

Now I regret not sharing some of my more serious regrets in my Original Post. Such as not waiting a year or more before getting married. I've never earned a paycheque and paid bills once in my life -- someone else has always taken care of the bill-paying for me. (I sometimes feel like a 52 year old adolescent.)

But still, we always need to remember that God ensures the best for us no matter what we've done in the past. Of course God's "good" means that He is looking out for our immortal souls.

I felt a reminder of that was needed as we think about our past in this regrettable thread.

Hi Cat! Hey I am the same age as you…

I hear ya! I also regret gaining 70 pounds with each pregnancy, although I lost it all…still I was a blimpo for a while post baby…oh well. I think though it gave me high blood pressure which I still have. That’s great Cat you’ve lost 30 pounds since November! way to go! I’m sure you feel so much better.

For me, personally, you’ve just gotta exercise daily----like on a treadmill or gym, aerobics—one hour a day of vigorous exercise in order to keep the weight off. That’s the ticket I think. Do you work full-time? Even if you do, hey get on a treadmill in front of the TV----that’s what I do, and it makes me feel greeeeeat!

Good Luck.

Just know, you’re beautiful no matter what you weigh…why? cuz we women are created in God’s eyes and we’re His princesses!:slight_smile:

Love, and Blessings,
Corinne

What do you mean? Are you a man or a woman? If you’re a man, I can understand how you feel as men associate their self-esteem with earning a paycheck. But if you’re a woman, don’t sweat it. I’ve always believed, as I was raised that a man should support his wife. But it sometimes doesn’t turn out so good when your man deserts you. Then you’ve got to figure out what in the world to do. God, though always comes through. Rom. 8:28.

May I ask you WHO has always paid all your bills and how old are you? AND, of course are you a man or woman? Sometimes it is hard to tell here with the names some folks have.

Take Care…

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.