I saw the Duggar Family today!

**I went to a homeschool convention here in my area today. The Duggar parents had a few seminars which I did not attend because the cost to attend the seminars was too pricey for me (although I wish I could have attended).

Anyway they had a booth set up in the convention. It had some of their books that the dad and mom recommend etc. along w/ a computer (I think it was a Mac) set up w/ a slideshow of their family. It was very cute. Here are some things I found interesting that I did not know before:

1. The kids were NOT all dressed alike.

2. They were extremely well behaved as they were eating dinner at the booth w/ out the parents in sight. I couldn’t get over how all of them were just sitting there eating so politely.

3. Mrs. Duggar looks remarkable!!! She looks really great and happy.

4. Mr. Duggar seemed very nice, I didn’t speak to him but he was at the booth (him and her were there when the kids left after eating, not sure where they all went off to). I heard him speaking to others as I was walking by their booth and he seemed to be a nice guy.

5. Two of their older boys own a used car business. Did any of you know this? I had no idea that they worked outside the home. I thought that was kinda neat.

6. The 2 boys that own the car business were not at the convention due to work and also a third son wasn’t there because he was proposing to his girlfriend.
    How exciting!!!

The entire family really did impress me. They just seem so happy, peaceful, down to earth, etc. I really think that my view of them changed just from seeing them in action. The kids are all so adorable!!! I just wish I could have attended their seminars. :frowning: One was titled “Learning to Love Children like God loves Children”, another was titled “Managing diapers to driver’s ed!! Learning to organize life to be available to serve God and others”. I would love to have heard what they had to say but then again, I wasn’t able to shell out 40 bucks to attend those and the other seminars that were available.

Just wanted to let you all know that they seem like such a nice and happy family. :wink: **

Just a little clarification. You mention that a third son wasn’t there as he was proposing to his girlfriend. In looking up the ages of the children, the oldest three boys are 20, 18, and 15. So if the 20 and 18 year olds weren’t there due to work, it was the 15 year old who was proposing?

Hopefully there was a small miscommunication and the three boys weren’t there but it was the 20 year old who was proposing.

Either way, I’m jealous that you got to meet the family!

HOW NEAT IS THAT! Thanks for sharing, mamacita. I have always been a bit fascinated with this family.

:shrug: Proposing isn’t getting married. My dh proposed when we were both 16, but we didn’t get married until 19.

[size=]No, I don’t know how old the boy is. In my post it says " a third son" NOT THE 3rd son. :wink: Although, anything’s possible. I heard from a mom in karate today that the parents got married when the mom was 17? I, myself, didn’t hear/read that, she just told me this.** [/size]

So who are the Duggars?:blush:

The family in Arkansas who has 17 kids and the mom is currently pregnant w/ baby #18. They live debt free and built their own house. They have been all over the TV, on the Discovery channel, on the Today Show, and others.

That family exudes such peace and confidence in God’s will. I am glad to hear that your real life meeting with them gave me the same impression. They are my heros.:smiley:

Every time I see Mrs. Duggar on TV, I can’t believe how young she looks, especially after all of those kids. I know she’s in her early 40s, but she sure doesn’t look it!

I’ve seen a couple of specials where all the kids are dressed very similarly. Glad to hear that’s not an all-the-time thing. Come to think of it, the more recent TV spots have showed the older girls wearing cute, somewhat trendy button-up shirts and long denim or chino skirts rather than the prairie dresses. Still nice and modest, but not such a contrast to their brothers’ jeans and polo shirts.

:bigyikes:

What does Dad do for a living?

How cool! Wow, what a neat experience! :slight_smile: I wonder if you could get their seminar on tape? The titles sound really impressive.

I’m always amazed at how genuinely happy the entire family appears. That’s really neat that you got to see them! :smiley:

**He has a real estate license (and so does she). I was told from my friend that did attend the seminars that they mentioned in the ‘becoming debt free’ one that a way to make money is to invest in property. She said that they didn’t exactly come out and say that’s what they do but suggested it.

I know he served in the Arkansas House of Representatives, and ran for U.S. Senate in 2002. They still have a website w/ all the info.

I am sure they make pretty good money from their shows that they’ve done and probably get money each time they are rerun.
I know they also are instructors for Jim Sammon’s Financial Freedom Seminar.

I also found out that they didn’t purposely become ‘well known.’ What had happened was when they went to vote in 2002 when he was running for Senate, they brought the whole family to the polling place. The town newspaper took a photo of them and they didn’t really think anything of it. Then some New York journalist caught sight of it somehow and phoned them wanting to do an interview or something like that w/ them. From that point on I guess they decided that maybe it would be good to be out in the spotlight to make others see that big families aren’t crazy. :smiley: :shrug: **

I don’t know. That would be really cool though, wouldn’t it??
I think I will go to their website and see if maybe they are for sale to buy. Probably some good advice considering their kids seem so well behaved and HAPPY!!! :wink: **

**Yes, the girls had on cute skirts and tops. Church appropriate type of clothing but not at all ‘outdated’.
Could you imagine shopping for 17 kids? Well even if the older 2 or 3 buy their own clothes, still imagine shopping for 14 kids?? WOW!!! My grandma had 15 kids but they were more spaced than the Duggars. I don’t know how she did it. She looks great too!! Still just amazes me!! **

Cool ! :smiley:

I watch the show ‘The Duggars’ …I thought the way they managed everyday life with their large family was interesting. And Mrs Duggar has the nicest way about her…nice family :slight_smile:

I also found out that they didn’t purposely become ‘well known.’ What had happened was when they went to vote in 2002 when he was running for Senate, they brought the whole family to the polling place. The town newspaper took a photo of them and they didn’t really think anything of it. Then some New York journalist caught sight of it somehow and phoned them wanting to do an interview or something like that w/ them. From that point on I guess they decided that maybe it would be good to be out in the spotlight to make others see that big families aren’t crazy.

Wow that is interesting!

I’m jealous mamacita! I think you know how I feel about the Duggars after the last (heated) thread:D :stuck_out_tongue: I’d love to meet them and pick Michelle’s brain a bit. She seems like a lovely woman.

Hum,

I guess I just don’t see their situation through rose colored glasses. From what I’ve read on this family they assign every child in the family an older sibling as a buddy and that older sibling does quite a bit in the raising of their assigned buddy. I won’t go into specifics but that kind of system makes me a little skeptical of the parents. I’m all for having big families and raising kids with a sense of responsibility but you don’t want to over burden the older kids either and take away their chance to be kids and enjoy a childhood. This is just MHOP. If you don’t have the time to be a parent to each child and do the basics then maybe you have too many kids. :eek:

Amazing ! :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.