" I see dead people "

What does the Church think about seeing dead people? A trustworthy person lately told me that she’s seen dead people several times, especially her grandfather sitting around in the house he used to live in, but once also a girl from the school she teaches in who died in the tsunami, she didn’t appear herself but a light came that illuminated the wall and she let her know she’s happy. The grandfather on the other hand seems to hang around at his old place like a ghost. This person came to me asking if this was of good or evil and what she should think about it. She’s a believing and praying person so no spiritist or anything like that. But she also mentioned something about sometimes being able to put thoughts into ppl’s minds (especially her husband and daughter’s) or alleviate their stress or something by just focusing mentally…once she even had a bilocation experience when she was focusing and wanting to be somewhere else.
Does anyone have experience with such phenomena? Are they dangerous or can they be from God? Also, how can ghosts wander around apparently without being in hell, heaven or purgatory…??

Thanks for your help.
Emil

i read once, that it is not possible for our souls to be roaming this earth. when we die, our soul goes to heaven, pergutory or hell. we have an angel assigned to us from God and also one is assigned to us from the devil to be with us our entire life. if our angel is with us our entire life, than they know everything about us, right down to how we write. if our good angel knows this about us than so does the bad one assigned to us. the bad one can mimik us to fool someone. this is what could be happening. that is why i believe scainces (sp?), fortune telling, oijia boards, horoscopes, etc are against the first commandment, because these spirits are not of God. just my take on it, if wrong, someone please correct me.

Padre Pio also had a bilocation experience. And I’ve known a couple of reliable friends who have seen friends or relative who died either recently or from more than a year ago.

There was a lady (Blessed Simka -something or other) in Europe who heard from souls in Purgatory on a regular basis usually asking for prayers, and some of the saints who have been visited by Jesus, Mary or other saints.

When they are not of our own chosing, and they are “peaceful”, some of these apparitions are from God. When they are disturbing or fearful they are most likely from demons.

I don’t know about demons (I doubt it) but I do believe we are assigned a guradian angel. And as many times as I have narrowly escaped disaster, I believe my angel has been working overtime.

I would think it would be a waste of demon resoures to assign everyone with a personal demon. With folks like us Catholics who try to follow Christ and try to do the will of God, there would be little or no justification for doing so.

Not that the devil leaves us completely alone, because he is always looking for an opening, but it just seems like he would have easier prey looking else where. Many of the saints were personally attacked by Satan, but I doubt he would waste a valuable demon assigning them full time to a saint.

Maria Simma?

The book Nicky Eltz wrote about her is fascinating. (“Get Us Out of Here!!”)

[quote=JoeMike]Maria Simma?

The book Nicky Eltz wrote about her is fascinating. (“Get Us Out of Here!!”)
[/quote]

I highly doubt she is Blessed, since she just passed away in the last few years. I read her book on the advice of a friend, and parts of it gave me doubts. She mentions too many well known individuals as being in heaven or purgatory. Creepy.

This is a difficult issue since I have seen a Ghost. Before I moved into my new house, I used to see this little girl all the time…

What do the church say about this subject, my mum saw my grama shortly after she died.

The Church has offically recognized some apparitions, Lourdes and Fatima are among the most famous. It rarely sanctions any of these things, as many are just too difficult to prove as real versus being hysterics or outright hoaxes.

Even when it does sanction one, it says " this event may be worthy of belief " as opposed to saying that this really did happen. The Church never confirms that any event actually happens, it just says that it may be worthy of belief or is not detrimental to believe it.

I was not talking about apparitions of mary or the saints, they always had a good reason to appear, I’m talking about dead people just hanging around over here…those are tricky cases, because our faith doesn’t really give a straight answer yet the phenomenon seems very common relatively speaking, so many series and movies have dealt with it, so many people witness having seen dead people…
I met a friend today who had read Plato who already said that throughout times it is known that dead people sometimes appear on earth- but those are the ones that had an unclean soul when they died, Plato already believed in a kind of heaven and hell, depending on how well prepared the person was at the moment of death, how well detached from wrongdoing etc… anyways it makes no sense that people from heaven would hang around here, they are probably (I guess) demons masked as ghosts or then souls from purgatory…or is it possible or safe to assume some people God might allow to stay and have their judgment a bit later…?? A very interesting topic…death will be fascinating:)

what do we know of hell? how do we know that bodyless spirits dont wonder around as punisment? why do we assume that god has to tell us everything? why cant it be that, some souls are given permision to see there loved ones, by taking on the child or adults memory of them as they appear. that would explain why they are seen wearing cloths, they use things in are mind to give them selfs shape, so we can relate. but then again they could be deceptive. shortly after my mums grandma died, she was sitting on the stairs, and she felt a presence, she looked behind and it was her grandma, and she was wearing cloths, that my mom knows that she used to wear shortly before she died. she apeared near enough after she died, also my mum wasnt afraid or threatened, she felt calm. my mum really loved my grandma, she was my mums home away from home, the only real family she had, bad things used to happen at her
home. but her grandma was allways there. the apparition of her could have been a good bye, or just to show her that there is life after deaf, which my mum doesnt believe anyway. it could have been grief, her brain could have fooled her( i personally dont believe that) but this is all just speculation, im not saying that you should believe or if its even compatible with are faith. ireally dont know. good luck, and god bless. :slight_smile:

[quote=fineca]I was not talking about apparitions of mary or the saints, they always had a good reason to appear, I’m talking about dead people just hanging around over here…those are tricky cases, because our faith doesn’t really give a straight answer yet the phenomenon seems very common relatively speaking, so many series and movies have dealt with it, so many people witness having seen dead people…
I met a friend today who had read Plato who already said that throughout times it is known that dead people sometimes appear on earth- but those are the ones that had an unclean soul when they died, Plato already believed in a kind of heaven and hell, depending on how well prepared the person was at the moment of death, how well detached from wrongdoing etc… anyways it makes no sense that people from heaven would hang around here, they are probably (I guess) demons masked as ghosts or then souls from purgatory…or is it possible or safe to assume some people God might allow to stay and have their judgment a bit later…?? A very interesting topic…death will be fascinating:)
[/quote]

The fact of the matter is that Mary and the saints are also dead people. Some of my friends saw spirits of folks who led relatively upright lives. More than likely they were folks in Heaven or Purgatory and not the souls of the condemned.

Yes there could be spirits who are doomed to haunt places or things where they have some attachemnt to OR they really could be demons disguised as people that we know.

There is nothing that teaches that the dead are confined to Heaven or Purgatory or even to Hell 24/7. I would think those that are condemned would have less flexibility, but no one knows for sure.

God allows whatever He wants to allow. IF He wants to bring someone back from the dead then He certainly can do that (and He has done so in the past). IF He wants to allow spirits or demons to roam the earth then He can certainly do that as well. The Bible already has testimony to both cases. So I see nothing especially unusual about any of these phenonmena happening now.

It has never happened for me and I don’t particularly want anything like this to happen to me as I find it extremely creepy. :bigyikes: :bigyikes:

Just a suggestion, but why don’t you ask an apologist on this same forum and see what they have to say?

I have to wonder about this too. I’ve had several experiences that would fall into the category of typical ghost things.

[quote=avonlise]i read once, that it is not possible for our souls to be roaming this earth. when we die, our soul goes to heaven, pergutory or hell. we have an angel assigned to us from God and also one is assigned to us from the devil to be with us our entire life. if our angel is with us our entire life, than they know everything about us, right down to how we write. if our good angel knows this about us than so does the bad one assigned to us. the bad one can mimik us to fool someone. this is what could be happening. that is why i believe scainces (sp?), fortune telling, oijia boards, horoscopes, etc are against the first commandment, because these spirits are not of God. just my take on it, if wrong, someone please correct me.
[/quote]

I have never heard that a devil is assigned to us. The angel being assigned is scriptual. I had a priest tell me that we do not know what purgatory is and it is quite possible that so called haunting is purgatory.
In the autobiography, The Hunted Priest ( I don’t remember the priest name) the priest tells of seeing a light that came to a widow. After saying mass for a week, the light appeared with two other lights and raised up to heaven. That priest believed it was the husband of the women who was in purgatory and needed prayer to be released.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=14715&highlight=ghosts

here is link from the “Ask apologist” section about ghost— questions about ghosts are also there just do a search under that forum.

There was a guy on Art Bell who wrote the book “Beware the Night”. He is a Catholic who assists a Bishop in his diocese with exorcisms.

He said that it the apparition is only part of a body and not a whole body then it is demonic. If it is an entire body then it is somebody’s soul. But that soul could be from a good person or a bad person. You just do not know.

Actually, I kind of makes sense that the Devil would focus on strong Catholics…think about it. If he can succeed in stealing one Catholic soul it would almost be like saying “HAHA! I TOLD YOU SO!!” You know what I mean? And think about all the saints that have experiences like that…From my understanding, St. Faustina had seen many things but I have yet to personally read her diary (my mom told me all about it though.).

[quote=OnceUponATime]Actually, I kind of makes sense that the Devil would focus on strong Catholics…think about it. If he can succeed in stealing one Catholic soul it would almost be like saying “HAHA! I TOLD YOU SO!!” You know what I mean? And think about all the saints that have experiences like that…From my understanding, St. Faustina had seen many things but I have yet to personally read her diary (my mom told me all about it though.).
[/quote]

This is true, the devil doesnt waste to much time with the weakest of minds. He satifys him self in conquering the strongest and shackling them in chains of sin, it pleasures him. The idea that he could destroy sombody like mary (who he hates probably more then all the saints ) would probably gives him great satisfication. He also hates the body of Christ, and if he can decieve the head of the church or the those who deal in doctrine, this would give him great beniffits since, once the sheaperd is cut off, the rest of the sheap will scatter. He will also aim for those who are influential in the church, sombody that people listen to. God bless and keep fighting the Good fight! :slight_smile:

Well I do not know the churches stance on “ghosts” But I can say that I have had a couple of creepy chance encounters with them, one was about 14 yrs ago and the last the last sunday of March in church.i was tapped on my shoulder ( which i wrote off as my future son messing around), then pushed into my fiance while kneeling for prayer, (Not hard), again I blamed my future son, then had a hand on my upper back gently tapping me, while everyone around me,except my fiance was up for communion, (yes my future son gets communion also and was not present) needless to say I was very “creeped” out,2 hours after mass I told my fiance what happened and she said she was wondering why i kept looking around and also was wondering why i bumped her during the prayer while kneeling,

Persoanlly i think i was sitting in someone favorite pew, maybe that had recently passed away, as we had several people that week go on, and my fiance actually got me 4 rows from the front that day, usually I sit as far to the back as possible, but she been moving us forward weekly…

anyways call me nuts, i feel like a nutcase trust me on this issue but still i believe in what happened,
I even told my priest about it last night ( and the whole RCIA class) I didnt get the “your nuts or you sinner” out of them.

But I wont sit in that pew again thats for sure.
I scared enough that lightening going to strike me for being in church without having a “Ghost” tease me…

John

the devil is a punk. yeah i said it!

The whole ghost thing… ahhhh, there are just toooo many natural phenomenoa that produce weird things to run right to the supernatural realm. all the poltergeist things that happen… the shadows, lights… i’m thinking it’s just the human mind brain-burping.
i’d bet dollars to donuts that most weird ghostly happenings are objectively explained. and if there are ghosts, they don’t have bodies. ya can’t be afraid of something that can’t even give you a decent fight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.