"I ship it" - Favorite romances

If this is a duplicate thread, I’m very sorry. I hate to resurrect old threads.

So, CAF, I like a good love story, either happy or unhappy. What are your favorite romances and romantic pairings from books and television shows and such? I’ve been watching a lot of anime lately so I’ll start with that.

Two of my favorites are Ishida and Orihime and Renji and Rukia from Bleach. Neither of these is official, but the hints for them are definitely there. The first two have a very silly, flaky dynamic that just works for them, and Renji and Rukia are a great story of childhood friends who separated and then were reunited.

Also, despite (no, because of, I lie) it having a very bad end, I also have a soft spot for Captain Aizen and Lieutenant Hinamori. I know Aizen’s the villain and that he tried to kill her, but beforehand, when he was pretending to be a good man, it’s lovely and bittersweet.

Also, William and Emma in the manga Emma. It’s classic star-crossed lovers, but when they’re together and believe they can be together they’re cute and blushy. I also think Emma the maid is a great heroine, the way she’s willing to sacrifice him for what she sees as his own greater good.

I’m definitely one for the literary classics - so in no particular order
Romeo and Juliet
Petruchio and Kate from Taming of the Shrew,
Jane Eyre (Jane and Rochester),
Catherine and Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights,
Lizzie and Darcy and Jane and Bingley from Pride and Prejudice

And I have a thing for opera too - so
Butterfly and Pinkerton from Madame Butterfly,
Mimi and Rodolfo, Musetta and Marcello from La Boheme,
Alfredo and Violetta from La Traviata - and of course
*Carmen *and her Don Jose!

The Barnabas Collins/Angelique/Josette love triangle from Dark Shadows.

Hey I admit to reading Harleqin romances…

my fav historical author is Kathleen Woodweiss…

Classics …authors the Bronte sisters…Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre

All the Bogart & Bacall movies, and (of course) Casablanca.

Books, in no particular order: Pride & Prejudice (and all of Jane Austen); Jane Eyre; most of Georgette Heyer, especially A Civil Contract and a couple of other ones; just about anything by Angela Thirkell; Earlene Foster’s series of mysteries involving quilting; and some others I can’t recall at the moment.

I can’t think of anything on TV. In the kind of shows I used to watch, if one of the main characters fell in love, the love object would always get killed by the end of the show. :eek:

And then there’s the other kind of romance: Rome Sweet Home and any books about “swimming the Tiber”… and these forums!

God bless us all,

Ruthie

F’Lar & Lessa from Dragon Riders of Pern
Rose & Doctor Who
Elizabeth Bennet & Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice)
Deborah Kerr’s character & Cary Grant’s character in An Affair to Remember (can’t remember the names of the characters)
Romeo & Juliette
Mr. Higgins & Eliza Dolittle (My Fair Lady)
the Von Trapps (Sound of Music)
and many other literary romances too numerous to list.

Mulder and Scully
Buffy and Angel
My all time fave, though…Sam and Diane

Which Doctor, Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant? Ninth/Rose was almost glowing in how lovely it was, but Tenth/Rose… not so much. But then, I don’t much care for Tenth, I think he’s far too young and “hip” for the role.

Seconding the von Trapps. I’ve only seen that movie once, but it genuinely made me happy. I love either heart-warming through the odds or terribly tragic.

Both the ninth and tenth Dr. Who’s, for different reasons. I liked the ninth better than Tennet as well, but my all time fave was Tom Baker in the old series before the special effects took over (he was quirky but had class at the same time)

Tsk! Tsk! no one has mentioned yet my favorites:
Rhett and Scarlett in GONE WITH THE WIND
Ashton Pellham Martin and Anjuli Bey In THE FAR PAVILLIONS
Lara and Dr. Zhivago in DR. ZHIVAGO
Rick and Ilsa in CASABLANCA
and now the best of all
My husband and I:blush:

Scarlett O’Hara? forgive me, but I find her absolutely intolerable.

Movies:

Paul and Victoria from "A Walk in the Clouds"
The Von Trapps (glad to see I’m not the only one!)
All-time favorite: Rocky and Adrian

Books:

From “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn”, the love triangle of Johnny Nolan/Katie Nolan/Sgt. Michael McShane. I really liked all three characters and I usually feel disappointed when a widow/er remarries (especially when the other love interest has been present all along), but in this story it just felt right and didn’t seem to diminish Katie’s love for Johnny.

And she hasn’t written one in ages, but Allana Martin’s “Death of a …” mystery series had a great couple, Clay and Texana Jones. I have to re-read thos books again!

I’m sure I’ll think of others!

Jane and Rochester, of course.
Lizzie and Mr. Darcy (because if you don’t love Jane Austen, you’re just dead inside. :P)
Allie and Noah from The Notebook
Sorcha and Red from Daughter of the Forest
Liadan and Bran from the sequel Son of the Shadows

I ship:
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles- John Connor & Cameron Phillips( probably never gonna happen but I don’t care).
Harry Potter- Ron Weasley & Hermione Granger ( It was so obvious :wink: ).
Teen Titans- Beast Boy & Terra (It may not be that popular but I love them together).
Robin & Starfire
Bleach- Ichigo Kurosaki & Rukia Kuchiki (They seem canon to me)
Uryū Ishida & Orihime Inoue (It’s just cute).
Ulquiorra Schiffer & Orihime Inoue (Crack FTW)
BtVS- Buffy & Angel (They were ment to be together)
Buffy & Spike ( Its just hot).

This is all I can think of right now.

I liked…

WALL-e.:o

I like the Julie Garwood novels that aren’t real racy.

I also love the Willa Cather novels. O Pioneers and My Antonia.

I also like old Dorothy Garlock novels although there is cussing. I also skip over the racier bits, but its mostly kissing and not so graphic you feel like you accidentally peeked into someone’s bedroom window.

Cecilia and Robbie in Atonement.
Sayuri and the Chairman in Memoirs of a Geisha.
Sophie and Howl in Howl’s Moving Castle.
Lizzie and Mr. Darcy Pride and Prejudice.
Anne and Cpt. Wentworth in Persausion.

Jacob & Lyssa from “The Vampire Queen’s Servant” and the sequel “The Mark of the Vampire Queen”

David & Mina from “A Witch’s Beauty”

Both of these books are by Joey W. Hill

Han & Leia from Star Wars
Aladdin & Jasmine from Aladdin
Bob & Grace from Return to Me

I forgot about those…I ship them too! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.