I squealed on my priest: Now What?

My parish has long prepared kids for First Penance two years after First Communion.
After failing to persuade our Religious Formation director, and then our pastor, to look at the Church’s myriad of documents on the issue (all saying the same thing), I finally wrote the monsigneur at the diocese, who verified that I’m correct, but sidestepped my request that something be done.
I’ve sent all this to the bishop now, directly insisting that the diocese meet its responsibility so that “parents are no longer guided to violate Canon 914.” It’s a safe bet that things will start happening.

My priest and the religious formation person had been indignant about the whole thing; shortly, they’ll be feeling quite more so!

What would you do? I have another good nearby parish which I used to be a member of. I’m thinking of switching just to avoid the awkwardness.
Peace.
John

Since you snitched on the priest, there is a fair chance that they may well move him to another parish anyhow. So why leave?

Perhaps you might consider a move if you lose this dispute and the priest stays, but that’s still up in the air, no?

If it’s the right thing and judging by the post and what I know it is, follow up on it. As Catholics we have an obligation to fix error. If we allow the error, then we are in error.

[quote=Kielbasi]Since you snitched on the priest, there is a fair chance that they may well move him to another parish anyhow. So why leave?

Perhaps you might consider a move if you lose this dispute and the priest stays, but that’s still up in the air, no?
[/quote]

I sure hope he wouldn’t be moved. Sounds disproportionate. And I pray I could stand being wrong, and not run from it. Thanks.
peace.

Now What?

Pray for Him and everyone else involved especially the children.

[quote=john ennis]I sure hope he wouldn’t be moved. Sounds disproportionate. And I pray I could stand being wrong, and not run from it. Thanks.
peace.
[/quote]

Is this the only major error? How does this priest, and other priests and lay leaders of the Parish react to you?

If there are situations which woould affect your being comfortable in the Parish—perhaps it may be better to move on. I would definitely follow up on the time Penance is received.

God bless you and let us know what you decide.

[quote=john ennis]My parish has long prepared kids for First Penance two years after First Communion.
After failing to persuade our Religious Formation director, and then our pastor, to look at the Church’s myriad of documents on the issue (all saying the same thing), I finally wrote the monsigneur at the diocese, who verified that I’m correct, but sidestepped my request that something be done.
I’ve sent all this to the bishop now, directly insisting that the diocese meet its responsibility so that “parents are no longer guided to violate Canon 914.” It’s a safe bet that things will start happening.

My priest and the religious formation person had been indignant about the whole thing; shortly, they’ll be feeling quite more so!

What would you do? I have another good nearby parish which I used to be a member of. I’m thinking of switching just to avoid the awkwardness.
Peace.
John
[/quote]

What did you “snitch” about? I had my First Penance shortly before my First Communion. Did they switch the order or something? Even if they did, would it really matter. I mean could a young child be guilty of a mortal sin?

[quote=4 marks]What did you “snitch” about? I had my First Penance shortly before my First Communion. Did they switch the order or something? Even if they did, would it really matter. I mean could a young child be guilty of a mortal sin?
[/quote]

What I’m talking about is the Church’s instruction to all parishes that Children MUST be prepared for First Penance first. There are about a zillion theological reasons why this is proper, not the least of which is to make clear the association between these two Sacraments. It does not imply that kids have committed mortal sins. In fact (though it would be irregular, and not recommended), a child would not be refused Communion if parents for some reason insisted they go without First Penance.

In case you didn’t know, LOTS of parishes, in the early seventies, started experimenting with delaying Confession until about fourth grade. The experiment was cautiously permitted, then put to a stop, in about half a dozen different documents and letters (the last of which was Redemptionis Sacramentum, last spring).

But a whole bunch are still doing it!

Check out Canon Law, and you’ll see why I said, “Parents are being guided to violate Canon 914.”

Peace.
John

[quote=4 marks]What did you “snitch” about? I had my First Penance shortly before my First Communion. Did they switch the order or something? Even if they did, would it really matter. I mean could a young child be guilty of a mortal sin?
[/quote]

They did experiment in the US for several years, until Rome steped in. The thinking is that if a child MUST be of the age where they can “reason” or make informed decisions about the Eucharist they then have the ability to also make decisions about right and wrong. At that point they must have access to Reconciliation. They are not required to go to Confession but must have the ability and access to the Sacrament if receiving the Eucharist.

You have informed the proper authorites. it is now in their hands. Go and be well.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]They are not required to go to Confession but must have the ability and access to the Sacrament if receiving the Eucharist.
[/quote]

Access which is effectively denied, when the parish’s official, consistent policy is to prepare them for First Communion without preparing them for Confession. In virtually all such cases, parents are not informed as to what Canon 914 requires of them. I would say the percent of parents who know what it says, in such parishes, is in the single digits.

Peace.
John

[quote=john ennis]Access which is effectively denied, when the parish’s official, consistent policy is to prepare them for First Communion without preparing them for Confession. In virtually all such cases, parents are not informed as to what Canon 914 requires of them.** I would say the percent of parents who know what it says, in such parishes, is in the single digits.**

Peace.
John
[/quote]

It’s simply the “New Springtime” effect.
Besides, hardly any prot sects do it.

Hope you had a lot of “parish” members aware and behind you. Especially the ones who give big contributions. Shutting off the cash flow does wonders for “pastoral” concern in Newchurch.

John

My nephew when receiving the first communion never had a pennance, which is backwards, but I was again told by the Priests at St Anthony here in New York on Long Island that this is the way things are done now.
I then sat through the infamous “bagel Mass”, which a friend of the family sent into a traditional web page and I am told it is featured along with all of the other famous masses that take place like the dorito mass, the cheesehead mass and the clown masses.

The priest was walking with the bagel, telling the kids that the body of Christ is the same nourishment that a bagel is and that it is no different as both are needed to live. He said nothing about consecration or the canon or anything that had to relate to the importance of the mass. And again said that if he prayed over the bagel it would be our Lord.

Well I wrote to our Bishop and he as usual did not respond.

My advice-Travel and go to a good TLM parish with sacrements that use pre-Vatican II words before the ICEL destroyed them

[quote=john ennis]My parish has long prepared kids for First Penance two years after First Communion.

Peace.
John
[/quote]

[quote=CrusaderNY]John

Well I wrote to our Bishop and he as usual did not respond.

[/quote]

Then I think it’s best to go to St. Joseph Foundation–a means by which you can hold his feet to the fire. They’ll back you up on this stuff.

Peace.
John

Thanks John

What is that , do they have a web site or number?

[quote=CrusaderNY]Thanks John

What is that , do they have a web site or number?
[/quote]

www.st-joseph-foundation.org
(210)697-0717

Catholic answers referred me to them, so I don’t thing they’ll mind me posting this address.

Peace.
John

[quote=john ennis]What I’m talking about is the Church’s instruction to all parishes that Children MUST be prepared for First Penance first. There are about a zillion theological reasons why this is proper, not the least of which is to make clear the association between these two Sacraments. It does not imply that kids have committed mortal sins. In fact (though it would be irregular, and not recommended), a child would not be refused Communion if parents for some reason insisted they go without First Penance.

In case you didn’t know, LOTS of parishes, in the early seventies, started experimenting with delaying Confession until about fourth grade. The experiment was cautiously permitted, then put to a stop, in about half a dozen different documents and letters (the last of which was Redemptionis Sacramentum, last spring).

But a whole bunch are still doing it!

Check out Canon Law, and you’ll see why I said, “Parents are being guided to violate Canon 914.”

Peace.
John
[/quote]

Do you pray for your parish priest? I don’t mean do you pray that he will change and conform to what is written in the Code of Canon Law in Canon XVI6756b or something. I mean do you honestly take the time and pray for his well being. He is your pastor after all. The man whom God and his Church have hand chosen and therewith commissioned to shepherd you, a meager layperson. I ask you…Is it really the job of the laity to inform the clergy what they should or should not be doing? Why not investigate him for allegations of sexual misconduct while you are at it? I’m sure that if you bring such a charge, your wish will be granted and he’ll be shipped off to embark upon the joys of prison ministry at Saint Alcatraz in a cell next to some maniac like Joey Druce.

What I am trying to say is that…given the larger scheme of things…is it really worth it to get so discombobulated over this. It sure sounds to me as if you have a personal ax to grind with the man. Let me guess…he’s one of them there progressive types. Start gatherin’ the wood boys, this one’s a gonna make us all one heck of a bonfire.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Congratulations. That must have been a difficult decision for you. I admire your courage. I know it is not a decision you made lightly.

While I can udnerstand the idea that “children aren’e likely to commit grave sins that would hinder them from being able to recieve the Eucharist,” I think that the order is necessary in order to teach them the improtance of the right frame of mind to receive communion, and to initiate them to the habit. Yes, we are only asked to abstain if we have committed mortal sins, but the best way to receive the Eucharist is as free of sin as possible.

But the thing with Catholicism, particularly in regards to the sacraments, it does not really matter what I think about understanding the motivation behind an approach that conflicts with standard operating procedures. The Church has the responsibility of guiding us in their interpretation and implementation. The parish was ignoring the Church’s role model.
In terms of changning parishes, pray on it and do as you feel is right. I know that you expressed your uneasiness with the practice, but will your name as “the” person who filed the compalints be revealed? Is there a way that they will know if it is you for sure, and not another concerned parent or other individual affiliated with your parish?

What I am trying to say is that…given the larger scheme of things…is it really worth it to get so discombobulated over this. It sure sounds to me as if you have a personal ax to grind with the man. Let me guess…he’s one of them there progressive types. Start gatherin’ the wood boys, this one’s a gonna make us all one heck of a bonfire. by 4 Marks.

Listen, my last two kids were exposed to this Communion before Penance fiasco. Then for Penance, it was “group” Reconciliation, no individual confession. They are now 28 and 30 and have never been inside a confessional, because they were taught it wasn’t necessary. So, 4Marks, how do you get them to confession. It is a big deal, whether you think so or not. Not only their classes, but all the classes before them, have not been to individual confession. Who is accountable? I think we can do without your preaching and sarcasm. Inferring that the priest is now going to be investigated for sexual abuse is outrageous. Grow up! :mad:

[quote=4 marks] I ask you…Is it really the job of the laity to inform the clergy what they should or should not be doing?
[/quote]

Actually, it is.

Redemptionis Sacramentum

[184.] Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.