I think Easter burned me out with Catholicism

It was just too much…the fasting…all the prayers…etc. I just kind of chunked the whole thing aside for a bit.

I’m doing my usual prayers and saint prayers but that’s about it. I just don’t know…Hubby and I have been watching CBN and some Baptist preacher guy on Finnish tv…(not alot here for Christian viewing :rolleyes:)…

I feel like I’m on the middle road these days…like I like the intercession of saints but MAN is it easy to be Protestant…but even that feels weird to me.

Ever go through spells like this?

Kat

Maybe you over did things? You say all the fasting and extra prayers? Did you take these to level 3000? Lol idk Lent didnt hurt me and I didnt add any extra prayer… my usual morning, midday and nightly

Sounds like you did too much for Lent. Next time, do only one thing for Lent. If you don’t read the Bible often, make your penance to read a chapter a day. If you know only the Rosary, learn the Divine Mercy Novena and do that. Don’t overload yourself.

Is there any actual relationship with God in there anywhere? Or are you just trying to find the right “hobby” that suits you most comfortably?

I suspect you overdid it. We don’t have to do everything at once. Don’t kid yourself with Protestantism. It’s a DIY project built on sand. The people may be very committed followers of Christ, but the way it has fractured into all kinds of opposing camps shows the problem. S t Francis de Sales is very down to earth, and my go-to guy when in your situation. St. Teresa of Lisieux is also known for a simple faith–the Little Way.

“Wide and easy is the path that leads to destruction.”

I think all of us go through something like this, a sort of spiritual exhaustion. You might have taken on more than you were ready for this last Lent. God does not ask grand displays of faith from us, only that we strive to grow in faithfulness. For some people, this is a slew of extra prayers and penances, for others, it’s working to remember to say your evening prayers every day.

Goodness, what did you do?

Fasting is only twice a year. Don’t tell me you fasted the whole of Lent?

And what extra prayers?

What conclusion should we draw from observing all the opposing camps within Catholicism?

Explain how that was supposed to be helpful.

If they’re matters of prudential judgment, then the different camps believe different things about non-moral issues, or at least about the best way of achieving a moral requirement.

If, on the other hand, one group is promoting things against the dogmatic teachings of the Church, then what you have is a heretical group. The fact that people reject Church teaching on some moral matter doesn’t give their rejection any authority or validity, it just means that they refuse to accept the Truth, just like the Jewish in Christ’s time. This is why Christ left a central authority in the church, otherwise we’d have no basis from which to discern what is True and what isn’t in regards to moral issues.

There’s a big difference between having an authoritative teaching that people ignore or reject, and not have a core authority and leaving things up to personal interpretation.

Sounds like good ole spiritual dryness, a condition that everybody feels once in a while. Sometimes you just feel blah, and sometimes you actually feel like God has removed His Presence.

It is annoying, but it is not bad. Basically, you are being given an opportunity or exercise program to strengthen your faith muscles. Just keep doing your normal prayers and Mass, and gut it out. God is actually closer to you now, but He is working on you “behind your back”, so to speak. This can last a while, but all the saints had to put up with it too. (Well, maybe not the martyrs… so yeah, spiritual dryness is a lot easier than that!)

Do not try to get out of spiritual dryness by adding more work or prayers. That is a classic mistake akin to beating one’s head against a wall, and all the saintly classics warn against it. Keep to your usual routine, as that is plenty hard enough under dry conditions.

Reading about spiritual dryness can help, because at least you will see that it is common and normal.

Yes.

Prudence.

Often a new Catholic in their new zeal take to doing more than they ought …

Prudence.

Perhaps get a regular confessor or Spiritual Director too can be good - if one wishes.

The various prayer and practices, If not done for a deep love of Christ, is worthless yes. You would not go for “easy” if a relationship was there.
Nature That.

That, just as within Protestantism, Catholics happen to be sinners, and that all of us are disobedient to greater or lesser extents.

However, even granting this point and allowing for it, some argument can be made, IMHO, as to the effects of sola Scriptura on Protestantism, and that many of this does involve a lack of an objective standard for knowing what is or is it not essential doctrine for salvation.

Protestants are often divided because they disagree on true doctrine, since they make their private judgment their final rule of faith. Catholics often divide because they disagree that the Church *should *teach something, since they make their private judgment their final rule of faith.

For the OP:

First of all, I think you’ve gotten one or two sarcastic comments, and I hope you’ll overlook them.

Secondly, please keep in mind that the number one priority here should be following that which is true, not that which is comfortable. If we make our own level of comfort the rule of faith, we’ll only end up being dragged all over the map, which will never result in peace, but only upheaval. Emotions change on a daily basis: don’t use them as a sort of anchor.

Lastly, it is indeed very possible to burn yourself out with prayer. But this should lead to a change in one’s prayer life not to a throwing overboard of doctrine.

If you find certain practices tiring, then try simpler ones. We Catholics can talk to Jesus and simply tell Him we love Him and that we’re super grateful for all He does for us. We don’t need to bury ourselves in certain forms of formal prayer, which are simply meant to be aids, not an end in and of themselves.

Don’t fall into the trap of legalism: doing things on an external level without really intending them inside of the heart.

Rather, do all things with love for God, and you’ll soon see how much more merit they have.

But again: I encourage you not to interpret truth through the glasses of your emotions. Be as objective as you can, while talking to God and asking Him for the grace of faith.

Beautifully put! I wish I didn’t need 79,398 words, as in my previous post, to say the same thing.

It was supposed to glean more information about the situation. We all get burned out or lose interest in different activities after awhile. I was trying to ascertain whether or not the OP’s understanding is that Catholicism is primarily about fasting and reciting particular prayers.

Again note what I and others just noted above…about not taking on too much during Lent.

Something on one way or another being “easy” is not the measure of truth and of the path to take.

It is easy to drive off the road over a cliff than it is to stick to the curves of the mountain road…but that is not the way to go…

Jesus spoke too in the Gospel about two ways…one wide and one narrow…with the wide path being “easy”… and the narrow path being “harder” with few finding it…the easy wide path lead to where we do not want to go…

so with those two examples one can see that “easy” is not always the right choice…

Remain in Christ an his Church - there in you will have “true life”!

And do not “bite off too much” next Lent!

Getting closer to God is hard. But keep going! :cool:

That is is catholic, in the sense of pro multis, for many. Universal. Concerning the whole. One people, many tribes.

katpants (the OP) is new to Catholicism, and I think she is discovering it in her own way. Look up her threads and posts. This is awesome! Give thanks and praise to God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.