I think I have a vocation and I'm scared to tell my parents

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:20, topic:200779"]
I disagree; one should not sacrifice obtaining a good education because of time(4 years is really not that long) or money. For one thing, what if one enters an active order? A baccalaureate is needed in order to serve, for example, as a schoolteacher or registered nurse.

[/quote]

I see what you're saying, I am just telling her from my experience, and I wish I'd had to go to less school in order to enter earlier. When I'm in school I get very stressed out and my prayer life suffers, which is not the way to nurture a vocation. Plus it's been a ton of waiting. She can always enter, and then if her order teaches, get a degree while she is a postulant/novice.

[quote="jrs88, post:21, topic:200779"]
I see what you're saying, I am just telling her from my experience, and I wish I'd had to go to less school in order to enter earlier. When I'm in school I get very stressed out and my prayer life suffers, which is not the way to nurture a vocation. Plus it's been a ton of waiting. She can always enter, and then if her order teaches, get a degree while she is a postulant/novice.

[/quote]

I feel the same way. I am a college student. The stress from college and peer pressure makes my prayer life suffer and my church work suffer. I regret not running into my relationship. I won't be able to enter a order until I turn 23.

[quote="jet100, post:22, topic:200779"]
I feel the same way. I am a college student. The stress from college and peer pressure makes my prayer life suffer and my church work suffer. I regret not running into my relationship. I won't be able to enter a order until I turn 23.

[/quote]

I agree. I entered at 17 with 1 year of college and finished the rest while in temporary vows. Because of the number of sisters that leave after college, my community started asking sisters to sign a form stating that if they left the order, they would repay them for the college expenses incurred.

Just trust the Lord. He knows what He's doing. It's not always clear to us, but then that's where faith comes in. (He still keeps me guessing, after all these years!)

[quote="jrs88, post:21, topic:200779"]

[/quote]

All right. I happen to love school and learning, so my perspective is a bit different.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.