I think i know why i have such a problem with this

batk to my issue with duteronomy 22:5.

i thinnk it’s been bothering me so much because of the strong language being used. how wearing opposite gender clothing is detested and an abomination. a lot of other things were not classified so badly.

abomination ws usually used for serious sins such as homosexuality and others things like that. so it suggests a strong moral component, if you now what i mean

are there other examples of things that were “abominations” which are now done away with? i thik that might help

There is a great book by John Pilch called, The Cultural Dictionary of the Bible. He covers thus topic quite nicely.

The Jews were quite concerned with gender and shame. Men and women worshipped separately, had strictly defined roles, and even rules about their hair length. The Jews were concerned with even unknowingly committing a sin or incurring shame by associating with the other gender in what they judged to be an inappropriate or impure way. They had LOTS of rules about such things.

They even worried that they might mistake a male for a female! So, women had very long hair which was worn differently depending upon marital status. Clothing requirements were also strict. It was all about making sure they didn’t “accidentally” incur shame which was devastating in the culture.

We don’t share this concept, but it was very real to them. Since sexually related sins were considered so serious, wearing such clothing would be extremely serious because by doing so the person could confuse others and invite shameful behavior.

Does that help?

amazon.com/Cultural-Dictionary-Bible-John-Pilch/dp/0814625274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397102699&sr=8-1&keywords=cultural+dictionary+of+the+bible

Vision of Abominations in the Temple. Ezekiel 8:3-18

The End Has Come. Ezekiel 7: 1-9

False scales are an abomination to the LORD,
but an honest weight, his delight.
Proverbs 11:1

Prophets.
When you come into the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you, you shall not learn to imitate the abominations of the nations there. Let there not be found among you anyone who causes their son or daughter to pass through the fire, or practices divination, or is a soothsayer, augur, or sorcerer, or who casts spells, consults ghosts and spirits, or seeks oracles from the dead. Anyone who does such things is an abomination to the LORD, and because of such abominations the LORD, your God, is dispossessing them before you.
Deuteronomy 18: 9-12

The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
but the prayer of the upright is his delight.
The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
but he loves one who pursues justice.
Proverbs 15: 8-9

Humility is an abomination to the proud;
and the poor are an abomination to the rich.
Sirach 13: 20

Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD,
but those who are truthful, his delight.
Proverbs 12: 22

There were over 100! To find more:
usccb.org/search.cfm?q=abomination&btnG=Search&start=0&scopeType=0&sort=date:D:L:d1&num=10&site=newusccb&islibrarysearch=0&client=default_frontend&areasofwork=&doctitle=&pubid=&author=

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.