I think I might be called

I have had a deep, fulfilling feeling in my heart when i think about the priesthood. I am afraid though sometimes. i fear i will be a bad priest or a lazy one. i am driven aback at times by some things i hear on the news. i am a very traditional catholic but i am doubting. there is both joy and anguish.
i have looked at the fssp website, and they seem like very holy men. i’m just afraid i’m not worthy

None of us are worthy

When Jesus met Peter… Peter said : “Depart from me Lord …for I am a sinful man” and Jesus said " Do not be afraid…from now on…you will be catching men "

Like Peter you recognize who and what you are and you have a sense in your soul that you need to change and grow…that’s perfect! That’s what Jesus is looking for!

You need to trust that Jesus can transform you and do wonderful things with you.

I hear a lot of people looking to see if they have a vocation scared by these feelings. DONT LET THE DEVIL DO THAT TO YOU!!! He wan’ts you not to follow Jesus and the feelings He put into you to explore …he dosen’t want you on a journey with Christ.

Take heart and trust

God bless!

Michael

Hello Kyrie 1,

I’ve been discerning a call to the vowed religious life in a serious way for a little over three years now. As I’ve come to understand my own vocation I have grown in the realization that a call is a gift, and an invitation. Through a vocation Christ calls an individual into a unique relationship with Himself and the whole trinity. This can be inspireing, but also frightening. Are we really ever worthy of any of God’s gifts? In some ways, no - we, in our limitedness and incapacity to love completely and give totally to God, are not worthy.

But through the incarnation Christ aeternaly manifested Himself through humanity - and, as the images of Christ active in the world today as His instruments of love for all people, we are all deeply worthy of all honor and love. All of humanity has been transformed into a people set apart. So yes, you are worthy.

It is also a form of false humility to refuse what God is offering us because it is in a sense believing that we know better than God himself what God should give us.

Having said that, I understand how overwhelming and incomprehensible a deeply rooted sense of call and vocation can be. Who am I that God could desire so much for me? But in hope and grace we find the strength to love, in trust, in the ways God knows will fulfill our deepest selves and lead to our greatest capacity to love God, others, and ourselves. This is what we are seeking through the process of discernment.

Inside or outside of a religious vocation we are all called to christian perfection. We will all make mistakes. We will all give into temptations and give less than our full heart and love at times. This doesn’t mean that we should never love at all though. We must recognize in humility our own weaknesses and ask God to help us love as God loves - to be the incarnation present within our own world.

I would recommend you read “To Love as God Loves” by Roberta C. Bondi. You can buy a used copy for only a couple dollars on amazon. She explores in a deeply meaningful way what the early desert monastics meant by love and humility - I think it will be helpful to all those engaging seriously the Christian life, but particularly in the instance of discernment. (It’s short too - 100 pages.)

There is joy and anguish in everyone’s life, and they are often surprisingly intertwined. (Compare the seven sorrows of Mary to the Joyful mysteries of the rosary.) Our own lives and emotions are no less complex.

Ultimately, we can do no more than place all our trust in God and love with our whole hearts, relying on God to to that which we cannot.

I hope that you are filled with the Holy Spirit during this time of discernment, and through your whole life. :slight_smile:

In the joy and hope of an Incarnate God,
Amanda

God has no hands, but your hands, and no feet but yours to help his people.

Dear friend,

here are links that I hope will provide food for thought and courage to take a step forward:

+++

In the question and answer session at the end Archbishop Chaput was asked this question: “What would be your advice for someone considering priestly life?” It’s at 40.55.
HBU Presents An Evening with Archbishop Chaput
youtube.com/watch?v=wEMHWy9urzU

+++

This is an excerpt from Bishop Louis Morrow’s book, “My Catholic Faith” p. 347. Since it’s from 1958, some things, e.g. education, might not apply. Emphasis in original.

• What are some of the preliminary signs of a vocation to the priesthood?
    Some of the preliminary signs of a vocation to the priesthood are:

First, that a boy or young man be capable of living habitually in the state of grace;

Second, that he be attracted to the priesthood and manifest the attraction by frequent confession and communion, by a virtuous life, by a love of serving Mass, teaching catechism, helping others to be good Catholics.

Those who are called by God to be priests ordinarily receive no special revelation to this effect. God expects all to use the gifts of reason and of grace in determining their state of life.

Third, that he has a right intention to save his soul and the souls of others; that he has good health and suffienct ability to succeed in the studies of the seminary; and that his qualifications be accepted by the bishop.

• What are some of the requirements, that a man may receive Holy Orders worthily?
    That a man may receive Holy Orders worthily, it is necessary:
  1. That he be in the state of grace and be of excellent character. “Excellent character” implies good will and virtuous conduct, as well as good sense.

**Good sense **is needed if a priest is to do good to souls. The delicate functions exercised by a priest, especially as a judge of souls, would exclude from priesthood a person of an unbalanced disposition, or one who is wanting in prudence.

1. That he have the **prescribed age **and learning. To be ordained a priest, one must have completed his twenty-fourth year of age. The prescribed learning for the priesthood ordinarily consists of four years of college after high school, and four years of theology completed in a seminary.

A man must have a **good mind **in order to make successfully the studies for the priesthood. Besides, here in our country as elsewhere, the priest is almost always compelled to defend the doctrines of the Church from attacks of its enemies.

1. That he have the intention of **devoting his life **to the sacred ministry. This includes willingness to bear whatever burdens and difficulties Holy Orders may bring, for the love of God. It presupposed sincerity in the intention to devote his entire life.

No one should enter the priesthood because his parents have forced it on him. On the other hand, no one should abandon a desire to become a priest just because other people oppose it. One must enter the priesthood of his own free will, because he loved God and believes it is the best way to save his own soul, and other souls for Christ. It would be very wrong to become a priest just to assure oneself of a living.

1. That he be **called to Holy Orders **by his bishop. The bishop must be satisfied that the applicant has the virtue and the physical as well as mental fitness required and that he is free from all canonical irregularity. In general if a young man has good will, good health, a good mind, good sense, and a sincere desire to dedicate himself to the service of God, he has the qualifications necessary for the priesthood.

It is not necessary, in order to become a worthy priest, to receive a direct call from God.

+++

You might also want to read Bishop Ullathorne’s second discourse “The Discourse Delivered at the Third Diocesan Synod of Birmingham, in the year 1864” for a wonderful piece on the priesthood. It starts on page 11.

books.google.com/books?id=sMEzAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=ullathorne+ecclesiastical+discourses&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fJL3UJeTB-LIigK1uIGgDQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA

+++

Something that struck me in my own discerning for religious life, was the fact that it’s not a one way street, but a mutual discernment process on the part of the community/order and the person, so I heartily recommend getting in touch with the community you’re interested in.

May God bless and guide you!
amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

thank you all, i will pray with your advice in mind.
What prayers or practices are good for devoting the mind and soul to purity and orthodoxy.
I also realize, that before my i felt a calling i felt a-ok and completely adequate. now i question myself more. is this normal?

I applaud you in discerning this calling and will keep your fulfillment of it in my prayers. A friend of mine, who recently passed away, wrote some time ago on FB that if God has put something on your heart, do it. You don’t know if you’ll have minutes or decades to live, but for whatever reason there is your calling and He means you to follow.

If you do decide to pursue ordained life, do it with all your vigor. Don’t let yourself be lazy or bad at being a priest. If however you find as a novice that the calling isn’t what it was, don’t beat yourself up over it. Perhaps you needed to learn something from the experience. But no matter what, keep praying on the question and you will find the answer.

thank you

Continue to be open and accepting of God’s Will, keep spending time in prayer, and don’t be hesitant to talk to a Priest about what you feel God may be calling you to. Each Priest has felt that call and has responded to it in their own individual ways, and most are willing to share how they came to that conclusion.

God Bless you as you continue to pursue God’s Will in your life!

-CMC

You’re just aware of your weaknesses.

Don’t worry about it though. Remember, it was the stone that the builders rejected that became the cornerstone.

It’s your weaknesses that will give you strength and help you minister to other people. Once you recognise your own ability to fail, it means you can be far more empathetic to others who have failed and need understanding as well as absolution. It will enable you to show that compassion to others whereas if you considered yourself ‘perfect’ (which of course nobody is) you would be subject to the temptations of arrogance and pride, and those aren’t nice characteristics in any one, let alone a priest.

Sounds to me like you’re a good candidate. If you truly are called, then go forward and offer yourself for priesthood and your recognition of your own weaknesses will make you a better priest than you ever expected you could be.

None of us is really holy enough to be a priest. The callikng haS to come from the holy spirit and it is your bishop that calls you to the ordaianed priesthood.

In His Divine Mercy

thank you all

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.