I think I might become Mormon again...

I know you all know me and i’m a pain but I like to say how I feel. I think I might go back to the LDS church again (mormon)

I am sooo happy being Catholic again but I keep thinking i need to go back there

I don’t know…

:frowning: :o

Why would you ever want to go back to a man-made sci-fi religion like Mormonism when you have the Catholic Church established by Jesus Himself?

i wish someone else would have responded to you. someone with more knowledge. i’ll pray for you. i know faith life takes its ups and downs but dont leave the Church, the pillar and foundation of truth. i’m just trying to get in (Church) and to think years from now i

may be feeling like you reminds me where to keep my focus psalm 63 may be a nice prayer for you to pray. seek God, Patty!

I think you should evaluate exactly why you feel this way. Your post is pretty vague. Why did you become a Catholic? Did you believe that the Catholic Church is the true Church established by Jesus Christ? Do you believe in the Real Presence? If not, what has changed? If you do believe these things how could you possibly leave? Perhaps you miss the fellowship you felt as a mormon? Perhaps there are family pressures? I haven’t seen other posts of yours so I do not know what your situation is, but I think for the purposes of this thread you should give us a little more info.

To me, the LDS church theology is very bizarre and scripturally unsupportable. For example, the Bible teaches that Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever (Heb 13:8), yet mormon theology would have you believe otherwise. Scripture aside, the founder of the LDS, Joseph Smith, has been proven to be a fraud with the Book of Abraham/egyptian papyrus fiasco among other things.

It is a large leap to go from a monotheistic faith (Catholic) to a henothiestic faith (mormon). While mormons worship the “Heavenly Father” and believe that Jesus Christ is the “savior” of this world, they do not believe that they are one God. Thus, they are henotheistic (a form of paganism). Mormons will use the same terms as Christians -Father, Son, and Holy Spirit–but their definition of who They are differs from the Bible and from what the Early Church taught. Of course, I realize they don’t care what the early Church taught because of the supposed apostacy, which is unproven and conflicts with scripture (the gates of hell will not prevail…). And the whopper that really blows my mind is the belief that we (well, mormon men) can become gods ourselves. Do you realize that the LDS actually teaches that men (interestingly, not women) can be made gods of their own planet? I was told by a mormon that they believe this is how God makes them part of His family. Ironically, one of the very first recorded lies of Satan is that eating the fruit would make man like God.

Please post exactly why your feelings have changed and maybe we can help you. I believe there is a reason you posted here, perhaps God is trying to keep you from making a huge mistake?

From your recent posts, I gather that you’re in quite a bit of life turmoil. Didn’t you say that you and your husband both were intending to leave Mormonism?

You must have things going on in your life that are causing you tremendous stress.

Maybe it is best you stay put for now and allow other issues to work themselves out before making big leaps. If you’re being fed in the Mormon church, then maybe best to stay there for now and let time help you with your issues. If you’ve already left the Mormon church, ie have already burned certain bridges behind you such that reentering would require some hoop-jumping, such as a rebaptism or whatnot, then maybe better to remain outside of it while the dust settles. I’m just thinking that, if you’ve got a lot of emotional gristle on your plate already, don’t ladle on anymore until you’ve finished what’s there.

You and your husband (family) are on my prayer list. We will say prayers for you and hope that God gives you peace of mind to be able to make good decisions for yourself.

My husband just wrote an official letter to the mormon bishop yesterday. He is in the process of being dropped from membership.I think I understand what this person is going through though even though I knew I could never be baptized and make all those required vows to the church. They say you are vowing to God but it really was to the church itself. The thing that held us back the most was the love, acceptance, and fellowship we found there. That aspect alone made it so much easier to just sweep under the rug those things that were really bothering us for all the warm fuzzies we were getting from the mormon people themselves. We just finally had to make a choice. I have one mormon friend who still talks and walks with me in the mornings and only time will tell if she will eventually cut off all contact with me. If she does that to me, I’ll know for sure that her love was always conditional and a sham.
Johannah

Patty,

I think Allweather gave some good advice here. If you’re recently converted or have recently thought about converting out of the LDS you might want to really look at why you’re having the conflicting feelings.

Does any of this spring from possible separation from friends and/or family because of leaving the LDS? Are any of your feelings because you’re breaking away from the paths, places and traditions that you are used too? If so that’s not unusual. However, as you well know those reasons don’t really constitute a good reason to be in a religion.

If you left the LDS then there were reasons that you did. At some point their theology seemed to be less correct than Catholicism. Has any of that changed? At some point something about Catholicism drew you in. Has any of that changed for you? If yes to either of the above questions then how?

I think you might be going through the totally normal pangs of conversion. Converting religions is very tough. You’re walking away from a lot and possibly even feel guilty because previous relationships can be jeopardized or destroyed. I myself just had an argument with my mother (who I adore) because of my conversion to Catholicism. Its tough and your doubts may be totally understandable.

What is it exactly that is bothering you? What are your misgivings?

Please be very patient and prayerful before you make any decisions that will have a direct impact on your eternal life. If you are in a stressful time, please seek counsel of a trusted Catholic religious or someone at Catholic Charities. Your conversations will be confidential and perhaps they can help you sort our your feelings.

Peace be with you,

Kelly

Weeper,
I am sorry if my response seemed cold. But I have a great deal of knowledge on the subject of Mormonism, being a former very active Mormon myself. Mormonism is a ridiculous sham perpetrated by a power-hungry con-man with a penchant for sorcery and young girls. It is not a Christian faith by any stretch of the imagination.
Paul

On what are you basing this decision? You do not say.

Hi Patty, I am guessing that many of your friends and other family members are LDS. The best advice I can give you is to make friends with your fellow catholics. You need to develop friendships within the catholic church to release you from the pressure of family and friends who are LDS. Your doubts, and desires are normal because by leaving the LDS church you are walking outside your comfort zone, and it is normal to want to turn back into your comfort zone. Basically, I think you need to develop and locate a new comfort zone among catholic friends.

Judging from the time of the posts, I’m guessing theweeper may have been referring to him/herself and not you. Your posts on Mormonism are insightful.

Very good advice, Daniel.

I agree with the poster who stated that if your Mormon “friends” are really friends they won’t drop you if you aren’t a Mormon anymore. From what I have seen, most of them DO drop you. It’s not that they are necessarily mean or rude, it’s not that they refuse to speak to you, they just don’t include you in their circle of friends anymore if you no longer attend their church.

Fellowship/friendship can be very very compelling, but only if it is real. But even friendship is not a good reason to be a member of a church that is as wacky as the Mormons. And if the friendship is conditional upon your being a Mormon, then it’s a REALLY poor reason.

I support the idea of finding friends among your fellow Catholics.

I’m not sure what your situation is, but I have gone through similar indecision.

I was Baptist for my whole life (42 years) until this past November when I started looking into the Catholic Church and became convinced that it is the “True Church.” I joined this past Easter.

My family are still devout Baptists. My decision has cost a lot of emotional turmoil, as everyone thinks I’m crazy. My wife, kids, and in-laws have made a concentrated effort to re-convert me back by throwing the usual anti-Catholic arguments at me. It often leaves me emotionally exhausted.

Sometimes I get so weary of the constant fighting and strong anti-Catholic sentiment, and feel like giving up and just “going back” to make peace with everyone - just to get out of the war zone. I also miss the good things about my Baptist experience.

I have to put my emotions aside. I am convinced that the Catholic faith is where God wants me, and I need to refresh myself with times of deep prayer and quietness. Hope that you make it through this difficult time. I’ll pray for you.

I forgot to say in my previous post that the practice of dropping people they used to call “friends” by Mormons when those “friends” stop going to church strikes me as one of the best examples of why many people call Mormons a “cult”. I myself have never used the word “cult” to describe Mormons, but it seems rather apt when attempting to describe such behavior.

Having said that, the original poster, if once a Mormon, and now something else, is far from unique. The “pull” of the Mormon social structure is very strong. It’s like being “in with the IN crowd” when you are in. Then when you leave, you are “out”. The chilling effect can be devastating. I’ve seen in in practice. I live in California and there are a LOT of Mormons here.

Some Mormon posters to this forum say it’s not a general practice or rule within the Mormon church to shun or otherwise disfellowship inactive members or those who have left the church completely, but I have seen it happen time and again and while it may not be a “rule” it sure is a “fact”. It’s hard to believe that every incident is just an “accident”.

Because of the possible social isolation, many people maintain their LDS membership years after they have grown totally disaffected with the LDS religion, strictly because of the social apparatus. We’ve even seen other posters on this forum post about how they go to Mass for religion, but maintain their Mormon ties for family and social reasons. I think that’s wrong, but it’s what some people do.

I would encourage the original poster to NOT do that, but instead cultivate friendships within their local Catholic parish. Please don’t get your religion from people who believe that their scriptures were translated by a man looking at magic rocks at the bottom of a hat!

Just don’t leave a church like Mormonism as ignorant as this poster with viral ad-hominem rhetoric. If you have real questions, I’d be happy to entertain them: in this forum. One request…one at a time.

That being said, I’m not one to bash other religions. I’ve posed some questions to the ‘apologists’ here which have now gone unresponded. I have very serious misgivings about the RCC on a number of points, and I’m happy to DISCUSS them with anyone willing to respond in a strictly objective (and respectful) dialog. I don’t ask that any accept my view, but happy to debate the logical connections. That being said, I tend to be poignant and want to apologize if I ever sound trite. It is not intended, but does come across that way sometimes.

A Pac

I forgot to say in my previous post that the practice of dropping people they used to call “friends” by Mormons when those “friends” stop going to church strikes me as one of the best examples of why many people call Mormons a “cult”.

CALL FOR REFERENCES!!

On the contrary, this has never been my observation. Having had a number of friends leave the LDS church for drugs, sex, etc., and one for another religious preference (which he has since abandoned), I have never witnessed this. There is no “practice” of dropping people. This is complete ridiculous nonsense, and contra the teachings of the church. The position of the church is to love them, and then love them more.

A Pac

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have seen this happen numerous times among the people that live among me where I live. Since I live in California, a state that has more Mormons than Utah, it is not that odd to have many Mormon friends/neighbors etc.

And the people I am talking about didn’t leave the church because of drugs or sex, but because they found fault with the religion itself. They found out, once they were members, that the Mormons had all these crazy ideas that they concealed during the missionary discussions. Once the people I know found out about the wacky Mormon ideas, like the magic rocks thing, they LEFT. And then they found out who their real “friends” were!

You may say that the position of the LDS church in regards to those who leave the chruch, is to “love them” but the FACT of the matter is that as soon as the person stops going to church, the church ABANDONS them. People they thought were “friends” are no longer friends, it turns out they were only “church friends” not REAL friends.

But of course the church they thought was a real church turned out to be a travesty too, so perhaps that isn’t surprising!

Good evening, A Pac. I don’t recall seeing any of your posts. Maybe you posted over in the ask the apologist forum?

I’m far from an apologist, but I have an interest in Mormonism because my fiance is recently ex-Mormon, yet a few of her family members are still Mormons in varying degrees of activity. I spend some time most every day reading about Mormonism, and having conversations with my loved one. I can’t say I entertain any love for the Mormon religion, same as I don’t care much for any sect that places itself outside the authority of the Catholic Church; so in those terms, I am equal opportunity and consider Mormonism not as bad as many, and better than some.

None of the Mormons I know are less than the very best human beings. My regret is that these fine people are not contributing their talents and devout faith to the Church that Jesus established, the Catholic Church. My interest is to see everyone Christian, and every Christian Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.