I think I'm being called to priesthood

I've seen a spiritual director about this and have seen signs in my life suggesting it. Though I do wonder if I can still help out the autistic, I'm willing to give up that goal if it's not meant to be. Can anyone help me learn more about priesthood?

Every parish has a vocational director. Perhaps you could make an appointment with him. When you enter a seminary, much time is spent in discernment with a driector and then you will discover whether or not God wants you to serve Him in this way. What a wonderful calling to have! You don't say whether or not you are autistic or you just work with the autistic, but a vocational director would be able to help you with this issue. I pray for vocations every night, so you will be included as well.

If you are from a small parish you may not have a vocations director, but each Diocese does have one. I would go to your Diocese website and find the tab for vocations and find out who to contact. The vocations director will spend time with you and will probably take you on tour at the Seminaries in your area. They are interested in what field you would like to end up in whether it is helping those with autism, being a parish priest or what ever.

I will be praying for you! I do pray for vocations every day also, so you are added to my list.

St. John Vienney, patron saint of priests, pray for us.

Me too! I just emailed the vocations director in my diocese!

[quote="RaymondJensen, post:1, topic:220010"]
I've seen a spiritual director about this and have seen signs in my life suggesting it. Though I do wonder if I can still help out the autistic, I'm willing to give up that goal if it's not meant to be. Can anyone help me learn more about priesthood?

[/quote]

With helping autism, priesthood would not necessarily exclude that. Certainly, diocesan priesthood might make it difficult, but there no doubt is a religious order or congregation somewhere that might do that sort of work. I'd recommend that you try to discern such a path. The choice between secular and religious priesthood is an enormous one. Don't take it lightly, it's almost as significant as the choice to go into priesthood itself. Simply continue to pray about it, and keep talking to a spiritual director. They will guide you well.

thank you everyone.

Keep us posted as to if you find a vocations director and what seminaries you look at.

St. John Vienney, pray for us.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.