I think its time... Sam 777

Our dear brother in Christ Sam,

Your friends have been praying for you. I realise how hard it is for you to convert to Catholicism in SA. but have you thought about approaching a church to actually get baptized my friend? I understand your family, relations etc are living there, but remember when Jesus said to the apostles, come with me and they left their comfort zone to do the duty of God. Have you thought of going to the USA, England or Australia to lead the life you can? Im only suggesting this cause all your friends care about you and want you to be safe. There is no reason you will not be able to visit your family. You can still enter sa but just dont take a bible, show you used to live there and im sure they wont ask your religion if you dress as a muslim, but deep down your catholic? i know it sounds crazy, and i know in your heart your a Catholic, but its more special when you can receive the eucharist. But on the other hand, you know Jesus is with you and has led you to him, this is just a suggestion from me.
Anyone else got ideas how he can leave yet visit his family?

Amen! Daily prayers here.

Reminds me of the reading from August 20th this year:

…"Then Peter said in reply, “Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. But many that are first will be last, and the last first. " (Mt 19:27-30)

I think you should take the time to study the basic laws concerning religious freedom in a theocratic monarchy such as Saudi Arabia before comfortably suggesting to someone in said country, from the safety of your secular nation, that it’s time for him to consider official conversion.

You seem to be unaware of two very important facts:

1. There is no “approaching a church in Saudi Arabia” in order to be baptized. The Saudi Kingdom allows for the existence of churches only to administer to those who are already Christian, which essentially means non-Saudi tourists, visitors, or permanent residents. Proselytism is illegal and if a Saudi (Muslim) were to approach a Christian priest for baptism, the priest would most likely refuse and tell him to leave the church immediately.

2. Not only is it illegal for Christians to proselytize in Saudi Arabia, but it is similarly illegal for Muslims to leave Islam for another religion. Apostasy is officially proscribed by the death penalty. If a Muslim does in fact convert to Christianity in an official capacity and manages to leave Saudi Arabia, there is no “going back to visit family” (assuming his family would even want anything to do with him as his presence would be a liability on their end).

Yup. If Sam openly becomes a Christian, he will in turn become a martyr.

On the upside, it’s believed a martyr goes straight to heaven, right? As I recall, St. Therese used to long for a missionary life in a foreign land that would end in a chance at martydom so she could go straight up. Not my cup of tea, for sure, but hey…

Which is probably why God did not let her.

Thank you sister in Christ, I fully understand that and I might do it at the right time in the right place, also I’m praying for THE MOST HIGH to stand with me in that, since it’s a big decision to make.:gopray2:

Meanwhile, I’m trying to overcome/understand/accept some Catholic dogma practices like (although this not the right thread to discuss them):

1. The wine consumption at the Mass ( I do not want to touch alcohols at all).
  2. The confession to the Priest (I want to confess to THE MOST HIGH only).
  3. Calling Virgin Mary “Mother of GOD”.

OK, but briefly:

Not too much of a problem. If you remember it’s not wine: it’s our Lord’s Precious Blood. You’ll be fine if you don’t reject that belief. You can receive only our Lord’s Sacred Body.

These are more troublesome. They are fundamental. Confession to a priest and receiving absolution for mortal (a.k.a. grave or serious) sins is a must. Belief in the Theotokos, Mary as the Mother of God, is a dogmatic belief.

Considering this thread is for you Sam, I think you can take it any way you would like.

With regard to concerns about details, they are details and have lot’s of information to help with understanding.

With your life’s situation, the right day might come, or it may not, but God knows your heart and is understanding of the natural boundries we live in.

It’s quite possible that it is purposeful that you are who you are right there, Christ’s light in your area of the world.

1. Just because Jesus drank wine & the New Testament actually says, “Stop drinking only water & have a little wine for the sake of your stomachs.” and it’s permissible does NOT mean anyone HAS to drink wine or any alcohol. I detest the taste of it, I also don’t like the taste of coffee - God made my taste buds unique :wink: Anyway, the Cup of the New Covenant received at Mass is no longer alcohol, but has been made the real Blood of Jesus Christ. If all you ever drink is the Cup served at Mass, you will Never in your life drink any alcohol.

2. The confession to the Most High through the priest is how Jesus established His dispension of forgiveness (or retention of sin). The Most High went through a LOT of trouble to reveal & establish the Sacraments exactly the way He wanted them.

3. If Mary is Not the Mother of God, than who is Jesus? Calling the Blessed Virgin the Mother of God is simple acknowledging that Jesus is Who He proclaimed Himself to be: God Himself!

This might help you Sam:

Hebrews 5: 1 Every high priest is selected from among the people and is appointed to represent the people in matters related to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2 He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness. 3 This is why he has to offer sacrifices for his own sins, as well as for the sins of the people. 4 And no one takes this honor on himself, but he receives it when called by God, just as Aaron was.:slight_smile:

MJ

It should also be noted that the translation of Theotokos is not “Mother of God” (which almost implies an “origination” or “source”) but God-bearer.

We can set the Greek dictionary aside. By the power of the Holy Spirit, Elizabeth said:

Luke 1:43
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?

Remembering that Mary vowed to Gabriel:

Luke 1:38
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
38 And Mary said, “Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

Mary declared herself, before Gabriel (who stands in God’s presence) to be the bondslave of her own Son, the Lord. Now, Jesus is not simply Lord, but God in the flesh (John 20:28). In this context, Lord and God are interchangeable. Mother of the Lord is mother of God - but not of God the Father, rather of God the Son.

Hi Sam, I started this thread for you, so you ask any questions you want that will help lead you to the faith. I believe i did try and answer them for you once, but someone might be able to explain it from a different viewpoint and give you the answer you are seeking.
Please, this is now your thread, go right ahead and hopefully we can give you the answers you are seeking :signofcross:

Hi Brother,

This book may help you.

lumenverum.org/apologetics/DefendtheFaith/page.html

May God bless you and light your path toward him.

Your brother in Christ,
Augustine3

:hug1:, You know I have my tribe traditions behind my back, they will curse the hour which I was born at once they know my story, I will be alone at that point and no one from my tribe would want to see me again, so I’m preparing myself for such situation and I’m praying for THE MOST HIGH to help me in that matter.

However, as for which Christian sect I will follow once I completely convert, I’m researching from time to time, I really think The Catholic Church is the nearest one, but the points I have raised bother me, so I will start a thread for each one soon.

Thank you sisters & brothers in Christ for supporting me. :grouphug:

Theotokos literally translates as “God bearer”; however, it is commonly translated by Western Catholics as “Mother of God”. I’m not sure how such hair splitting contributes to the discussion.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.