I think my Father thinks he's GOD

…A few months ago My father claimed that “King David was a man after his own heart”.the Bible clearly states that King david was a man after God’s own heart.My father claims that God is with him. But I think he’s taken it too far.I think he thinks he’s GOD and that king david’s a man after his own heart. I’m afraid my father’s lost his mind. what can I do?:frowning:

I think being a good example of a Christian for him and also praying for him and doing some sort of penance for him. God would be pleased! :o

You don’t mention your age or situation, that is, whether or not you are still under his roof and subject to him. That fact would have some bearing on how you should react.

Has he said anything else besides this? Are you sure it wasn’t a misunderstanding? If he indeed said verbatim what you quoted above, shouldn’t he have used the pronoun “my” as in “my own heart” rather than the pronoun “his”?

My father Said.“King david is a man after my own heart”.I am a grown man and my father is in his sixties.

Laudatur Iesus Christus.

I do not follow the problem. Why should anyone not favor King David? He is a saint of the Old Covenant and a great man.

Pax Christi, fili David, nobiscum.

John Hiner

Don’t you think he probably just meant that he admired King David? The expression “a man after my own heart” is a common expression used to express admiration for an individual or feeling a common bond with someone. I consider my close friends “after my own heart” because they display qualities I admire and because we share so much in common, and I use the expression myself.

I always thought that if someone was “after my own heart” that means that they were always looking for ways to please me. God was pleased with King David because despite the King’s sinfulness, he was still a man who was after God’s own heart. In other words King David always strived to please God.

Now, it could be that OmegaMan5’s dad just doesn’t understand what the phrase means since it’s really not language that is used everyday. But if he is saying this along with stuff like “I remember when I told Noah to build the Ark.” Then, I would be a little worried.

Laudatur Iesus Christus.

I see the logic of your reading of the phrase, however, that is not the meaning that I associate with it.

The meaning I understand the phrase to have is “A kindred spirit - someone I can agree with.”

This is the meaning attributed to the phrase by “The Phrase Finder,” at phrases.org.uk/meanings/242850.html.

This meaning of “fitting with the desires of my heart” seems more appropriate as translations of the two Biblical passages from which the phrase is drawn:

But now your kingdom shall not continue; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart; (1Samuel (RSV) 13:14.)

And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king; of whom he testified and said, `I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.’ (Acts (RSV) 13:22.)

Both the Greek and the Latin of these verses seem to make it clear that it is the heart that is being used to recognize the man, not the man who is seeking to capture the heart.

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner

:rolleyes: I understand. He feels he and king david are kindred spirits. I guess if there was anybody to have kindred spirits with ,it would be King David.I feel a little kindred my self with Jonah and Habbukuk for some reason.Thank you for your time.:thumbsup:

“Houston we have a problem.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.