I think something is wrong with me! Eucharist question

I know this is going to be silly but I will ask anyways. I was accepted into the church 3/30 so this was, of course, my first Communion:D I have received the Eucharist 4 times since then and every single time, afterwards for a few hours, I feel almost in a trance. It's not stressful, I just feel completely calm,nothing bothers me, I'm fully relaxed (very unlike me), it is a wonderful feeling but I feel like I have just taken a drug (best way I could put it). Obviously, the Eucharist is fully Christ so he is able to run through me but I have never heard of someone being in this type of state afterwards. I don't want it to stop but I just need to make sure this is normal. I don't believe it is from fasting prior but I don't know. Has anyone experienced this?

Consolations are not uncommon, especially for beginners in the spiritual life, though they take different forms. Some people have feelings of peace, others see visions, others have interior voices, and so on. God knows that many of us need the extra encouragement, especially in the beginning of our conversion, or before he calls us to something difficult.

Christ appeared to Bl. Teresa of Calcutta before calling her to work with the poorest of the poor. Then he withdrew for I think 50 years, leaving her to intense spiritual aridity and feelings of abandonment. Because of this she had to rely more on faith, and her faith was purified of dependency on consolations. Others seem to have consolations all their life. God knows what we need.

Ok, so there is a name for this! It is Euphoria and it was overwhelming at first but the experience is great. If you would have told me prior to conversion, I would have thought you were crazy but not now! If it were not to happen again, I would be fine, it wouldn't change my faith but it is an awesome feeling!

I don't think it sounds like anything is wrong with you; in fact, that sounds like euphoria. What a blessing! :heaven:

And congrats and welcome home to the Church! :thumbsup:

Thank you, I’m so happy to be home, where I always should have been! It is fantastic but I never dreamt of having an experience like this, I wanted to make sure I was in my right mind.haha Anything is possible with God though:)

How incredible for you!
Welcome Home!!!

[quote="MaryRita85, post:3, topic:322275"]
Ok, so there is a name for this! It is Euphoria and it was overwhelming at first but the experience is great. If you would have told me prior to conversion, I would have thought you were crazy but not now! If it were not to happen again, I would be fine, it wouldn't change my faith but it is an awesome feeling!

[/quote]

Sounds awesome! Even your attitude about it sounds great! Isn't Jesus just absolutely wonderful?

I see you are the mother of twins, that is a great grace too!

Welcome home!

It sounds like a blessing from God!

Welcome Home!

God Bless!

Thank you all! Apparently, I was blessed with the "Gift of Tears" too! Everythingn is so new yet I feel so comfortable, like I'm where I should be.

Yes, twins are something else. They were a true blessing:)

Sounds like a spontaneous ecstasy state.

Smile while you're in it and open yourself to God.

I definitely did.My husband kept asking what was wrong, because I was just floating (not literally) around and I didn’t have a care in the world. I am so high strung that it was quite noticeable.lol

One day I was just chatting with a priest about nothing special and happened to mention that I had recently taken an airline flight and at the destination city, had to give a brief presentation.

My hosts provided an easel and I had brought with me a set of magic markers.

So, I was talking away and pulled the top off of one of the magic markers ... well, the lower pressure in the cabin of the plane had caused some of the alcohol in the ink of the magic marker to "gassify" ... and when I pulled off the top, I got a strong whiff of the alcohol [or whatever it was.]

So, I am talking and suddenly experienced this "high" ...

My speech was well prepared ... so I just kept talking ... [although I did have to reach over with my free hand and gently grab onto the easel to steady myself] ...

AND THEN I ACTUALLY SAW AND HEARD MYSELF GIVING THE TALK ...

Everything went well.

And when we were chatting and I mentioned the episode to the priest, he said that I had had a second order out-of-body experience.

[Cue spooky music.]

Definitely creepy! I have had one OBE a long time ago. That is similar to what it is, I didn't see myself this time but I felt like I was separated out of my body or something or like my body didn't exist (what I mean by the floating example) and it was just my soul there. So very hard to explain!

I think it is funny that there are other people (myself included, once-upon-a-time) who think there's something wrong with them because they DON'T have these experiences. :D Take heart, you might be someone else's "normal."

I had a very mystical "out of body" type experience the first time I visited a perpetual adoration chapel. This was before I had converted, at the time I was very much confused, lost and alone. I had been considering Catholicism for more than a year but because of my family (none of which are Catholic on either side, nor were any descendants that I could find for that matter) I was more than a little hesitant to give in to the call of The Holy Spirit, though I knew intellectually where the true Church existed. A friend took me to the chapel early one weekday morning (she had no idea that I was considering what I was considering, as I had told no one). The immediate emotion was one of intense, almost overwhelming awe and simultaneously peace. I was awake but felt as though I was sleeping, or dreaming. I thought I was only in the chapel for 15 or 20 mins. but found after exiting that we were there for over an hour. The entire time my head felt heavy, literally, I felt like I couldn't raise it and only laid my eyes on the Blessed Sacrament for fleeting seconds. In the following weeks thoughts of the Eucharist would not leave me and I had several very intense, surreal dreams about the Eucharist.
After I entered RCIA and began my journey I found myself often crying and being overwhelmed during the consecration of the host. I, of course, could not receive so I would go up to receive a blessing from the priest. During the time of prayer that followed I would often shed tears of joy and of sorrow at the thought of the sacrifice of Calvary and the beauty and grace of the Eucharist. I was baptized, confirmed and received my first Holy Communion during the Easter Vigil. Since then I have received the Eucharist five times and I have noticed that the initial, surface emotion has begun to leave me but it has been replaced by a deeper, more real type of peace and understanding. I think that I am being taught that the Truth is greater than my emotions, which were used in a very real way to speak to me and draw me into the Church. I have found great solace in the teachings of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross, meditating upon the mystery of the Blessed Trinity dwelling within and the beauty and depth of meditative prayer. Emotions are good and are a gift from God but I would warn against marrying them to faith, this can be a trap. These are my personal thoughts.

I am a convert also, but I entered the Church over 45 years ago at age 18!!
Still, I can look back on a very euphoric time both before and after I became a Catholic:)
I think God gives these graces at times - such as to "seduce" us into the Church or confirm that we have found our true home, and later to strengthen our faith for the times when all is dry and arid - which happens! Remember the apostles who witnessed the Transfiguration. They were in a state of ecstasy at the sight of Christ's glory, and that strengthened them for the Crucifixion.
I came from a very anti-Catholic family who gave me a lot of grief over my conversion, or even that I should consider it in the first place. I didn't like confrontation, and I hated all the arguments.

But I was so sweetly and irresistibly drawn into the Church that I have always thought of it as a seduction on God's part!:)
My relationship with the Church is like a well-weathered marriage now - much deeper.

[quote="MaryRita85, post:5, topic:322275"]
Thank you, I'm so happy to be home, where I always should have been! It is fantastic but I never dreamt of having an experience like this, I wanted to make sure I was in my right mind.haha Anything is possible with God though:)

[/quote]

Hi MaryRita, Welcome home -- I'm a convert also, and thank God every day for leading me to his church. It's wonderful that your faith and belief in Holy Eucharist leads you to such happiness.

I had a similar thing happen. One spring Sunday Vigil a couple years after I had been brought into the church I was playing piano for a small congregation. From my piano, as I looked at the altar at the point the gifts became the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord my heart jumped, exactly like it jumped with the thrill a person has when they love and adore someone so much and that person walks into the room. It was such aN AMAZING moment I will never forget.

Blessings to you, and welcome home....

[quote="MaryRita85, post:1, topic:322275"]
I know this is going to be silly but I will ask anyways. I was accepted into the church 3/30 so this was, of course, my first Communion:D I have received the Eucharist 4 times since then and every single time, afterwards for a few hours, I feel almost in a trance. It's not stressful, I just feel completely calm,nothing bothers me, I'm fully relaxed (very unlike me), it is a wonderful feeling but I feel like I have just taken a drug (best way I could put it). Obviously, the Eucharist is fully Christ so he is able to run through me but I have never heard of someone being in this type of state afterwards. I don't want it to stop but I just need to make sure this is normal. I don't believe it is from fasting prior but I don't know. Has anyone experienced this?

[/quote]

First, welcome back! And no, nothing is wrong with you, as others have said. It's truly a blessing and Grace to experience it; enjoy it!

I had like 2 straight weeks (every second of every minute of every day) similar to this. Can you imagine how WONDERFUL Heaven will be, if this Grace we are granted is only a tiny tiny microcosm of what we will experience in full unity? :) I have had short bursts of this at various times throughout my life after Communion and Reconciliation.

Listen for Him. I had the pleasure of hearing His voice, His laugh, His tears during my 2 weeks of Grace. Be aware that temptations (new ones even) may also come your way, and you can easily turn away from them by remembering and feeling the Grace within you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.