I think the Lord is calling me

For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been getting this feeling that the Lord is calling me to serve Him, to serve His people. I don’t know whether that means I should become a priest, but I willing to do ANYTHING (literally anything), to serve the Lord and His people.

I think that since I have been in a “crisis of faith” for years now, searching other church’s and whatnot, I have FINALLY come to the realization that the Catholic Church is Christ’s Church on earth. I have, though, not been active in the Church; only attending on Christmas and about 2-3 times last October. I was baptized when I was three months old, and now I want to go through the sacraments and dedicate myself to the Lord.

I am absolutely okay with being celibate, and live the life of poverty. I’ll give up everything for the Lord. All I need is to finally go through the sacraments. :slight_smile:

Also, what do I have to do exactly to become a priest, deacon, etc? Can I go into a seminary right after high school? Or do I have to attend a college, and then join a seminary? I don’t think I’d have the finances to get into university (or the grades, my average is 70-75%, 80% in English, however). Btw, I live in Ontario, Canada, maybe some fellow Canucks could give me some advice. :slight_smile:

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:1, topic:344385"]
For the past couple of weeks, I've been getting this feeling that the Lord is calling me to serve Him, to serve His people. I don't know whether that means I should become a priest, but I willing to do ANYTHING (literally anything), to serve the Lord and His people.

I think that since I have been in a "crisis of faith" for years now, searching other church's and whatnot, I have FINALLY come to the realization that the Catholic Church is Christ's Church on earth. I have, though, not been active in the Church; only attending on Christmas and about 2-3 times last October. I was baptized when I was three months old, and now I want to go through the sacraments and dedicate myself to the Lord.

I am absolutely okay with being celibate, and live the life of poverty. I'll give up everything for the Lord. All I need is to finally go through the sacraments. :)

Also, what do I have to do exactly to become a priest, deacon, etc? Can I go into a seminary right after high school? Or do I have to attend a college, and then join a seminary? I don't think I'd have the finances to get into university (or the grades, my average is 70-75%, 80% in English, however). Btw, I live in Ontario, Canada, maybe some fellow Canucks could give me some advice. :)

[/quote]

Welcome back home! :D

The first thing I recommend is that you speak with your Priest, and talk to him about how you've been away for a while, but you believe you may have a religious vocation, and want to get back into the faith. Yes, you can enter seminary right after high school. However, some seminaries may want you to have a college degree before entering. If you don't mind me asking, what grade are you in? I have read that it is recommended you being applying in your Junior/Senior year, because you may have to apply multiple times from what other posters on here have said. As for the finance part, I found this website for you: seminary.com/Prepare-For-Seminary*Financial-Aid.html Well, I live in Florida, and I'm not too sure about seminaries in Canada, but I do hope I could help you out!

May God bless you!
~Grace

Thank you! It’s great to be back. :slight_smile:

Right now, I am 19 and in grade thirteen, which is called a “victory lap” in Ontario. After this, I am done high school (in June of this year). When you say college degree, do you mean diploma? And what college diploma would they want exactly, and from any specific college? I’m fine with applying multiple times, I guess it’s God’s way of testing us to see if we really want the vocation. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the help! I’m going to check out that site.

May God bless you as well! :slight_smile:

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:3, topic:344385"]
Thank you! It's great to be back. :)

Right now, I am 19 and in grade thirteen, which is called a "victory lap" in Ontario. After this, I am done high school (in June of this year). When you say college degree, do you mean diploma? And what college diploma would they want exactly, and from any specific college? I'm fine with applying multiple times, I guess it's God's way of testing us to see if we really want the vocation. :)

Thank you for the help! I'm going to check out that site.

May God bless you as well! :)

[/quote]

Ah, I didn't know that! I mean degree. By college degree, you will want something relating to religion, preferably a Theology degree. However, most seminaries will accept you if you are studying something different, but have a change of mind/heart in the beginning or middle of your studies. I wouldn't think any specific college would matter, but a Catholic one would be a good choice. A Catholic Priest whom I'm close to went to a small university, received a B.A. in English and Special Education, and about 4 years later, entered seminary. I believe he received his Masters in Divinity while he was in seminary, but I'm not positive. Are you looking at seminaries only in Canada, or are you open to ones in the US, as well? I agree! It works the same way, I believe, for us women who want to be a sister/nun. Just gotta keep trying! The Lord will give the ok when He's ready. :)

No problem! If you'd like me to, I can do some more research if you have more questions.

Thank you so much! :)

The fact that the Creator of the cosmos took time out of His 'day' to so lovingly communicate lasting, objective truth to human beings is literally amazing. (Are we worth that kind of time and consideration from the Creator Himself?)

The fact that your life might soon be devoted to that truth is profound. You have one go-round on this planet; exhaust all potential and possibilities. I'm excited for how your life could go, and for how it could lead into your particular judgment (and your potential for heaven).

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:3, topic:344385"]
Thank you! It's great to be back. :)

Right now, I am 19 and in grade thirteen, which is called a "victory lap" in Ontario. After this, I am done high school (in June of this year). When you say college degree, do you mean diploma? And what college diploma would they want exactly, and from any specific college? I'm fine with applying multiple times, I guess it's God's way of testing us to see if we really want the vocation. :)

Thank you for the help! I'm going to check out that site.

May God bless you as well! :)

[/quote]

Not from Ontario, but on the other side of the Falls so I can partially understand your dialect. :thumbsup:

Yes, they mean going to university. In the United States, you need 30 credit hours of philosophy before you can enter seminary. Not totally sure about Canada, but I have to imagine it's similar. No specific diploma is required, but it's recommended that you get major in something that you like, that way if you do not become a priest you've not wasted your time.

Some dioceses in the US have “college” or “minor” seminaries, so a man can live in a seminary environment while attending college/university.

For example, in the NY area the Douglaston Seminary in the Diocese of Brooklyn is the minor seminary for NY, Brooklyn and Rockvill Center dioceses. Most of the men there are studying at St. John’s or other local Catholic colleges.

After completing their degrees, the men from all three dioceses go to St. Joseph’s in NY, for “major” seminary, to get their theology degrees.

May God bless you abundantly in your vocation!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.