I think what I did was wrong

I’m wanting to purchase several tickets to the opera. As you know, they’re not close to being cheap.

I saw when buying them on-line, you can put in a discount promotion code. I thus searched on Google and found someone published a large company’s promotion code for buying tickets.

I have not yet bought any tickets. Although the code is published on the worldwide web, should I have not sought it out to begin with? Is it most likely wrong to use it?

The code is there because the company that sells the tickets accepts the code. They issue it. There is no way for an invald code to work.

So, basically, you're asking if safeway puts a coupon in the newspaper and use it, is that bad?

Nope, it's a sad economy. They want their performers performing to a packed house... not 3 people that could afford the ticket...

I speak as a biz owner that sells on line with promotion codes from time to time, and a performer that thinks an empty house stinks BIG TIME!!!!

[quote="faithfully, post:2, topic:219887"]
The code is there because the company that sells the tickets accepts the code. They issue it. There is no way for an invald code to work.

So, basically, you're asking if safeway puts a coupon in the newspaper and use it, is that bad?

Nope, it's a sad economy. They want their performers performing to a packed house... not 3 people that could afford the ticket...

I speak as a biz owner that sells on line with promotion codes from time to time, and a performer that thinks an empty house stinks BIG TIME!!!!

[/quote]

Very good point about searching out grocery store coupons.
In my reasoning, the valid discount code is from a company, and it's somehow been leaked out onto the WWW, and I actively looked for a discount code. I found one that belonged solely to a company until it someone put it on line.

You could phone the company and talk it out with them.

It’s not fine when a company negotiates a deal, gets one single code for all employees, then the employees start leaking it to friends and finally to everybody on the Internet.

It is fine when a company negotiates a deal, gets a code and allows anybody willing to use it as some kind of a sponsored visit.

It basically comes down to whether the person who shared the code was entitled to do it or not.

[quote="TurboVW, post:3, topic:219887"]
Very good point about searching out grocery store coupons.
In my reasoning, the valid discount code is from a company, and it's somehow been leaked out onto the WWW, and I actively looked for a discount code. I found one that belonged solely to a company until it someone put it on line.

[/quote]

It leaked out? I don't think so. When you issue a code for discount on the internet, you know that it will be used. You intend that it will be used. In fact you issue it in hopes that people will buy your product because they have a discount, instead of someone elses product. You may limit the number of uses. And when that number is hit, your program quits accepting the code.

How is it that a code belonged solely to a company? How is that to be inforced? If you want to inforce that sort of thing, you issue paper coupons that must be handed over in person, while showing proof that you validly hold the coupon. If that's the case there should be some sort of safeguard on it. There wasn't. I doubt that is an error.

[quote="faithfully, post:5, topic:219887"]
It leaked out? I don't think so. When you issue a code for discount on the internet, you know that it will be used. You intend that it will be used. In fact you issue it in hopes that people will buy your product because they have a discount, instead of someone elses product. You may limit the number of uses. And when that number is hit, your program quits accepting the code.

How is it that a code belonged solely to a company? How is that to be inforced? If you want to inforce that sort of thing, you issue paper coupons that must be handed over in person, while showing proof that you validly hold the coupon. If that's the case there should be some sort of safeguard on it. There wasn't. I doubt that is an error.

[/quote]

Interesting points of view here. It's a code that belongs to a large company in my city. Obviously, they had no safeguards as to prevent the code from being told to people outside of the company, and thus it's ended up on public view on the Internet.

I could call the company to see how they go about their opera promo codes, but that could be opening up a can of worms....thus is the reason for my post today.

[quote="TurboVW, post:6, topic:219887"]
Interesting points of view here. It's a code that belongs to a large company in my city. Obviously, they had no safeguards as to prevent the code from being told to people outside of the company, and thus it's ended up on public view on the Internet.

I could call the company to see how they go about their opera promo codes, but that could be opening up a can of worms....thus is the reason for my post today.

[/quote]

Sorry, this is wrong and I think you know it. You are using a code that was not meant for the general public. The people who put the code out were in effect stealing from the company, who has negotiated that rate for their employees, not for everyone else in the world. It would be one thing if YOU had received the code, legit, or even a family member who agreed to purchase the tickets for you, but to just put it out on the web? No.

See if the opera has any matinee performances, or any other discounts. Sometimes you can buy one of those discount coupon books for your area and it pays for itself several times over when you buy this kind of ticket.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:7, topic:219887"]
Sorry, this is wrong and I think you know it. You are using a code that was not meant for the general public. The people who put the code out were in effect stealing from the company, who has negotiated that rate for their employees, not for everyone else in the world. It would be one thing if YOU had received the code, legit, or even a family member who agreed to purchase the tickets for you, but to just put it out on the web? No.

See if the opera has any matinee performances, or any other discounts. Sometimes you can buy one of those discount coupon books for your area and it pays for itself several times over when you buy this kind of ticket.

[/quote]

Good points - thank you....thus fills in the gray area between something given and something taken for me.

I'm sorry. Does the coupon code say that it's for XYZ company employees only to use?

I have NEVER heard of something so restricted put out without any protection. Perhaps when you go to will call to get your tickets you will be asked for employee identification? Or you will pay the difference.

Did you hack into a computer main frame to get this code? That would be wrong.

When a company extends a discount, and IF they want only a certain group to get the discount, then they don't put out a general code for the world to use. There are restrictions on the code, and they are either enforced at the time of sale (through programing), or they will be enforced at the time of p/u.

[quote="faithfully, post:9, topic:219887"]
I'm sorry. Does the coupon code say that it's for XYZ company employees only to use?

I have NEVER heard of something so restricted put out without any protection. Perhaps when you go to will call to get your tickets you will be asked for employee identification? Or you will pay the difference.

Did you hack into a computer main frame to get this code? That would be wrong.

When a company extends a discount, and IF they want only a certain group to get the discount, then they don't put out a general code for the world to use. There are restrictions on the code, and they are either enforced at the time of sale (through programing), or they will be enforced at the time of p/u.

[/quote]

I didn't hack into anything, just did a Google search for opera discounts, and someone wrote in on a local forum with the code. There weren't any disclaimers on its usage.

I'm starting to think it's not the best way of going about buying tickets.

Remember, character is what you do when no one is watching.

:thumbsup:

There are other ways to do something, that won't violate your conscience. Whenever I get that little twinge, I know I'm fixing to do something that will cause me distress and that I won't enjoy as much because my conscience is bothering me. And then I have to go to confession too. :)

Ok... I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill... But if you're that concerned, call the opera house. Ask about the code, and if there are any restrictions on it.

If they say yes, then don't buy the tickets. If they say know.. .then get them for a discount...

[quote="TurboVW, post:1, topic:219887"]
I'm wanting to purchase several tickets to the opera. As you know, they're not close to being cheap.

I saw when buying them on-line, you can put in a discount promotion code. I thus searched on Google and found someone published a large company's promotion code for buying tickets.

I have not yet bought any tickets. Although the code is published on the worldwide web, should I have not sought it out to begin with? Is it most likely wrong to use it?

[/quote]

It is not wrong to seek discounts. If it were, most of us would be in trouble.

What would be wrong would be if:

1) The discount were for a group that you are not part of, for example, an AARP discount and you were only 25.

2) The coupon were somehow fraudulent (I have seen stores saying that internet coupons would not be honored due to computer fraud).

[quote="Norseman82, post:13, topic:219887"]
It is not wrong to seek discounts. If it were, most of us would be in trouble.

What would be wrong would be if:

1) *The discount were for a group that you are not part of, for example, an AARP discount and you were only 25.

2) The coupon were somehow fraudulent (I have seen stores saying that internet coupons would not be honored due to computer fraud).

[/quote]

I think that is what the OP actually said - that this discount was given to a large company for either their employees' use or their customers use, but that someone shared it and it ended up on a website where people can share these codes.

If it were a code that everyone has access to, of course it would not be wrong for the OP to use it. But the way I read his question, it's like a special benefit to a large company and he would be taking advantage of a discount he is really not entitled to.

I prefer to do things the honest way, even if it means I don't get that discount.

oh please tell. what are you going to see? this week at the MET, Roberto Alagna in Carmen. i would beg on the sidewalk for a ticket.

here in the midwest, i wait for the live HD performances.

if the code is available to the public and not listed as restricted (which would probably require you another code to aqccess the discount code, use it.

but what are you going to see?

Please call the opera house. My guess is that they would sell you the discounted tickets. If not, then ask if there are other discounts available. Maybe you could buy one of those entertainment coupon books or some such thing.

When something is meant to be restricted, there are conditions put out there with the code that you must meet. Companies have a good handle on this sort of thing.

We were given a "coupon" for a symphony that had a code, which was used by use successfully. However, when we picked up the tickets at "Will Call" we had to show an ID plus hand over the paper coupon. This allowed the symphony to verify the legitimacy of the coupon.

Seriously, stop posting here and call the opera house. You will get a faster, more accurate answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.