I told a lie in church

My friend and I went to church today for First Friday devotions, mass and confession, but we forgot to drink anything before we left. When it was all over, I said to the person I was with, “I’m so thirsty.” They said, “Me too, I actually have a headache from the thirst.” And I said, “Yeah, I have headache from it too.”

Now, I have NO idea why I said that, because I didn’t have a headache. Thirsty as all heck? Yes. But a headache? No.

Now I feel so bad for lying (or agreeing with somebody elses symptoms when I didn’t have them) while in church!! Especially since I had just gone to confession and had received communion and everything. From now on I’m going to THINK before I speak, and not blindly agree with whatever someone else says when it doesn’t even pertain to me.

Do you think I need to go back to communion before receiving the host again on Sunday? I hope not, the priest is going to think I’m crazy. :confused:

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

It sounds like you were just being agreeable so I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve done the same and walked away wondering why I said that?! Thinking before speaking is probably good advice for us both!

Did you think to yourself " I am going to lie about this headache". Or did it just sort of happen. If it just happened I think you can chalk it up as one if those quirky things that happens to everyone!

It’s still probably a venial sin though, even if the subject seems so trivial.

Being agreeable is a very serious problem in modern society. It is not silly and harmless.

Thank you all so much for taking the time out to respond! I definitely didn't plan on lying in advance, I didn't even think about it at all - I just immediately agreed. I am definitely going to think before I speak in the future to prevent this nonsense from happening again, ESPECIALLY while in church! And I'll mention it the next time I go to confession but I probably won't make a special trip to do so before this Sundays mass. Thank you for your opinions and wisdom. I feel better now. ;)

We are forgiven of venial sins at mass.

You’ve only been a member for a few weeks. If you stick around long enough, I think you’ll change your mind about people being overly agreeable. Start a thread about whether shorts are ok at mass and you’ll see what I mean.

[quote="yellowbird, post:6, topic:332005"]
We are forgiven of venial sins at mass.

You've only been a member for a few weeks. If you stick around long enough, I think you'll change your mind about people being overly agreeable. Start a thread about whether shorts are ok at mass and you'll see what I mean.

[/quote]

So true! LOL

It sounds like you had a brief episode of sympathy :). You imagined how the other person felt, or it stirred some recollection of your own experience, and you spoke spontaneously. I don’t think there is a moral issue in this one occurrence. When things like this happen, you can make it a learning experience. Examine your response, figure out what you should say in similar situations in the future, and you will do better.

[quote="Beryllos, post:8, topic:332005"]
It sounds like you had a brief episode of sympathy :). You imagined how the other person felt, or it stirred some recollection of your own experience, and you spoke spontaneously. I don't think there is a moral issue in this one occurrence. When things like this happen, you can make it a learning experience. Examine your response, figure out what you should say in similar situations in the future, and you will do better.

[/quote]

I totally agree!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.