I took my first steps today!

I just got my walking cast yesterday and took my first unassisted steps today. :extrahappy: My doctor said my xrays looked really good. And that was somewhat surprising for the severity of my injury. She also said that II have nerve damage and the best thing to do is to take advantage of the walking cast, get up on it and try to use it as much as possible and as soon as possible, or my progress will regress. So I’ve been walking with my walker much more and today just decided I’d try walking on it w/out the walker. AND I DID! :smiley: It was super painful and wobbly and limpy but I did it! :clapping: I’m SOOOO happy. I have so much hope that I will be walking again in time. :smiley: Praise God!!! I can’t thank God enough for this miracle. :love: My ankle was so shattered they weren’t sure how long it would take or if it would even be possible to heal fully. Now this blessing comes out of nowhere. My dream for walking with a walker by Christmas has already come true, maybe, just maybe, I’ll be blessed to walk w/out the walker by Christmas now. God is SO good to me. I just can’t get over this wonderous gift of starting walk again, when there was a chance it wasn’t going to happen at all. :eek:

I think maybe you should be more excited! I mean, your emotion really isn’t coming through all that well. :smiley: lol

Congratulations! Peace & Prayer for you as you continue to heal. God is Awesome! :D:thumbsup:

:extrahappy: :bounce: :dancing: :extrahappy: :bounce: :dancing: :extrahappy:

Is this better? :smiley:

:thumbsup: :extrahappy: :clapping: :dancing:

very happy for you

That's so awesome!! Are you enrolled in some kind of physical therapy and rehab? It's a long, painful recovery I'm sure but sounds like you will do great! :thumbsup:

*Hip hip hooray!! That is awesome!!! I’m glad you’re on the mend!!!. :hug1: :bounce:

Prayers for your continued healing!*

YAAAAAAY!!! I was on crutches for several months myself, plus a surgery, so I know how you’re feeling! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Now for the long haul of building your muscles back up again. >.> But it’s amazing how much you appreciate every little ache and pain because you know that limb is working in the way God intended again. :smiley: Good luck with the rest of your recovery! :extrahappy:

Oh my you sound just like me! :eek: What happened if you don’t mind me asking? I also had surgery…3.5 hours worth :eek: to fix this severely shattered ankle. But it looks like it did the trick. Thanks be to God! :smiley: SO glad you are doing fine now too. I’m so happy for your new marriage too…what a blessing you are to so many. :hug3:

I had something called osteochondritis, which is basically a small piece of bone that has broken off; in my case it was in my knee joint, off the bottom of my femur. Even though it was just a small piece of bone, it was on a weight-bearing point so it caused me a lot of pain to walk anywhere. I spent several months being a bit of a shut-in because I didn’t know what was wrong. The break didn’t show up on x-ray because it was held in place by cartilage. It finally took an MRI to see it, and I was put in a knee brace to hold my leg straight and crutches. This would take the weight and irritation off of it, and hopefully allow it to heal.
Well, it decided it didn’t want to heal, and a month or two later, I had a follow up x-ray and even I could see it wasn’t doing well; the bone piece had rotated and was threatening to fall out of place. My orthopedic surgeon explained that if it did fall out, I would need a bone graft, but he was hoping to pin it into place before that happened. So a few days later, I went in for surgery. This was all happening while I was at university, too, trying to keep up with classes. >.> I ended up missing a week of classes, which definitely affected my marks a bit in the end, but the good news was that my doctor didn’t have to graft it back into place! :smiley: That would have involved going into my hip, so the surgery would have been more intensive. Instead all they had to do was cut two little holes in my knee, poke the instruments inside, insert the pins, and stitch me back up.
After that, I had several more months of crutches, about 6, and then I was able to slowly wean myself off of them. :smiley: Unfortunately I still have issues with that knee, like occasional bursitis and chondromalacia patella(which means inflammation of the joint capsule and improper tracking of my kneecap as I bend my knee, respectively), but physiotherapy has helped a lot with those. I just have to be gentle with myself. :stuck_out_tongue:
So there, hope that wasn’t too much info. ^^;;

You go, girl!! :extrahappy: :clapping: :smiley:

[quote="pumpkinbeast, post:9, topic:178277"]
I had something called osteochondritis, which is basically a small piece of bone that has broken off; in my case it was in my knee joint, off the bottom of my femur. Even though it was just a small piece of bone, it was on a weight-bearing point so it caused me a lot of pain to walk anywhere. I spent several months being a bit of a shut-in because I didn't know what was wrong. The break didn't show up on x-ray because it was held in place by cartilage. It finally took an MRI to see it, and I was put in a knee brace to hold my leg straight and crutches. This would take the weight and irritation off of it, and hopefully allow it to heal.
Well, it decided it didn't want to heal, and a month or two later, I had a follow up x-ray and even I could see it wasn't doing well; the bone piece had rotated and was threatening to fall out of place. My orthopedic surgeon explained that if it did fall out, I would need a bone graft, but he was hoping to pin it into place before that happened. So a few days later, I went in for surgery. This was all happening while I was at university, too, trying to keep up with classes. >.> I ended up missing a week of classes, which definitely affected my marks a bit in the end, but the good news was that my doctor didn't have to graft it back into place! :D That would have involved going into my hip, so the surgery would have been more intensive. Instead all they had to do was cut two little holes in my knee, poke the instruments inside, insert the pins, and stitch me back up.
After that, I had several more months of crutches, about 6, and then I was able to slowly wean myself off of them. :D Unfortunately I still have issues with that knee, like occasional bursitis and chondromalacia patella(which means inflammation of the joint capsule and improper tracking of my kneecap as I bend my knee, respectively), but physiotherapy has helped a lot with those. I just have to be gentle with myself. :p
So there, hope that wasn't too much info. ^^;;

[/quote]

hahaha, i love reading about stuff like this :p but then again might be the fact I'm a nurse and find this stuff fascinating :shrug:

Yay! And I will pray for your continued healing! :gopray:

WHAT?!?! Pumpkinbeast is married?!?! Whoa, where have I been? :whacky: Congratulations, Pumpkin! :extrahappy:

I’m a nursing student myself! :smiley: So I know what you mean. ^^

Yup. :stuck_out_tongue: I was kind of busy, well, getting married, so I wasn’t on the forums for awhile, but now I’m back. :smiley: Thanks! ^^

Sorry for taking over your thread, prolifewife. >.>

Yes PRAISE GOD! I love His miracles! They happen every day! :D today was definitely a miracle for me as well!!! :D I am not in a terrible mood, not crying, not hurting badly, and I treated my children and fiance with a lot more kindness than what I have been doing lately! :( Hormones driving me crazy! :( I started spotting this morning, was scared it was me losing my baby, so far right now spotting has diminished so GOD willing all will be ok!

I am so happy for you that you are doing better! I hate being hurt! I hate being sick, I know it seems like such horrible words to say but it's true! I don't function well at all! I don't even function at all! :( I was in a car accident and my right leg was literally destroyed almost completely and they could have very well cut it off from my thigh but they didn't GOD allowed great doctor's to take care of me and take care of my legs, I was able to start walking 3 months later! It was a lot of work, and my knees get stuck and legs hurt a lot still, almost a decade later but I am grateful for having my legs and being able to walk, no matter how badly scarred they are ( they are lol) or how much they hurt (almost every day when walking) but I love my legs! Believe me I thank GOD every day for sparing me!

I am so happy for you! God willing you will be walking around in no time! :D Keep us posted!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.