I tried to pray the Rosary. I'm guilty of vain repetition

But not for the reason you were probably expecting after reading the title. I’m trying out Catholic “things” to see if my call to - one day, possibly - become Catholic is genuine. So, of course, the Rosary is high up on the list. Lutherans could be accused of vain repetition in our Divine Services, and I’ve made heavy use out of the Jesus Prayer and Orthodox Prayer Rope for years, so of course repeating prayers isn’t the issue, as we know what vain repetition really is. I’m guilty of real vain repetition while praying the Rosary because (I realized) that I’m repeating the Hail Mary not truly believing that she can even hear us. I essentially don’t believe the words after the first half of the prayer. I’m not sure how to overcome this.

Have you tried reading Hebrews 12:1?
“Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,”

I would say you are making an act of faith rather than vain repetition. Ask Mary to make your act of faith a true faith act.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners

Now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

What part do you disagree with?

Dear friend,
I would highly recommend going to YouTube and watching this video by Catholic Answers apologist Tim Staples, who used to be Southern Baptist if I am not mistaken -
youtu.be/V6OwlfNwc9A
He shows us that Scripture confirms that the saints in Heaven hear our prayers and offer them to God for us :smiley:
God bless you! I will pray for you!

Your brother in Christ Jesus,

Kyle T.

Jesus was speaking to the Jews and their prayers, not foretelling any “catholic prayers” as non-catholics love to tell that this passage is about that.

I do believe he was a southern baptist but if I recall correctly he was also an Assemblies of God pastor

How much of this do you feel is an exercise for testing waters; to see who responds, and how much of it is a genuine desire to please the Mother of Jesus? The former is the wrong reason for saying the rosary, so how about changing the reason? :slight_smile:

How about just giving her the benefit of the doubt? Just sincerely say the Rosary every day has a gift. Luther was an advocate of celebrating the nativity, so your reason is valid. After every decade, and after the usual prayers, just add, “I desire your love and need the help of you and your son”. Especially, don’t ever test the majesty of those celestial beings, that is not our place in life. We are the servants who desire every friend in high places, and who better than asking the Mother of God to intervene for us. Who can refuse her.

I think you will eventually enter into a new relationship with the Holy Mother. She will ensure that you recognize the graces that were obtained for you because of your trust. There may be a dry period, but that is understandable. There are so many people that bad mouth her behind her back after she puts in a good word for them, that her son allows for a test period. God’s graces don’t get wasted on those who are prone to treachery.

So good for you. You are responding to the Holy Spirit. You have been guided to the right person. So indeed go out and repeat, again and again and shout it from the roof tops, and by every completed decade, that very prayer of repetition.

Alleluia, Alleluia! I have the Mother of God as a friend! :thumbsup:

I pray the Rosary every day but at different times – I pray the first 2 decades with my first cup of coffee – the 2nd, 3rd and 4th I say at various times-- walking to public transportation, walking to Church – to a friend’s house, etc., etc. – and the last decade I say before I turn out the light at night. I couldn’t get through the day without my rosary. I might add that my rosary was sent to me from my grandaughter when she was in Paris – I LOVE it!!!

And the rosary is certainly not vain repetitions. Anyway if you want some more encouragement Tim Staples said that Jimmy Swaggart made him Catholic

In case you were not aware…the praying of the Rosary is not required to come Home to the One True Church. Highly recommended of course, but not required. It seems your real issue is with Jesus’ teaching on the communion of saints. Now that assent is required.

Yes, I think you might be right there. I remember that he was involved with the Assembly of God, I don’t recall if he was pastor, you may be correct.

Your brother in Christ,

Kyle

Try the Scriptural rosary. It helps one to meditate on the Scriptures. You can google it online. Here’s an example of the joyful mysteries. Good luck on your discernment.

The First Joyful Mystery – The Annunciation
Our Father…

1. In the sixth month / the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, / to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph; / of the house of David; / and the virgin’s name was Mary. (Lk 1:26-27) Hail Mary
  2. And [Gabriel] came to her and said, / “Hail, full of grace, / the Lord is with you!” (Lk 1:28) Hail Mary
  3. But she was greatly troubled at the saying / and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be. (Lk 1:29) Hail Mary
  4. And the angel said to her, / “Do not be afraid, Mary, / for you have found favor with God.” (Lk 1:30) Hail Mary
  5. “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, / and you shall call his name Jesus.” (Lk 1:31) Hail Mary
  6. “He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High; / and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, / and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; / and of his kingdom there will be no end.” (Lk 1:32-33) Hail Mary
  7. And Mary said to the angel, / “How can this be, / since I have no husband?” (Lk 1:34) Hail Mary
  8. And the angel said to her, / “The Holy Spirit will come upon you / and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.” (Lk 1:35) Hail Mary
  9. “Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, / the Son of God.” (Lk 1:35) Hail Mary
  10. And Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; / let it be to me according to your word.” (Lk 1:38) Hail Mary

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit./ As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Fatima Prayer ~ (Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.)

You do not ever have to pray a single Rosary. You do not ever have to light a candle. You do not ever have to have a crucifix in your home. You do not ever have to pray near a statue to be a good and faithful Catholic. Amd the list goes on and on.

I believe that you are approaching this backwards. You are stressing form over function. Get a catechism and study doctrine, as that is what the creed is about - a distillation of our faith. The rest will come naturally as you seek to salt your faith lest it become insipid.

That the saints in heaven are somehow made aware of our prayers is indicated in Revelation 5:8, where the twenty-four elders in heaven are described as having bowls of incense that is the prayers of the saints.

Something else to consider is that the soul of dead Tabitha did not seem to have any problem hearing St Peter when with faith he said to her, “Tabitha, rise.” (Acts 9:40)

One of the possible ways the saints in heaven might be made aware of our prayers to them is via angels acting as prayer messengers. The Bible fairly regularly describes angels as delivering messages from heaven. However, Jacob’s vision of the ladder not only had angels descending from heaven to earth but also had angels ascending from earth to heaven. (Genesis 28:12) So, perhaps angels also take messages to heaven. In fact, in Tobit 12:12-15, the angel Raphael says he presented the prayers of Tobit and Sarah in heaven. And, in Revelation 8:3-4, an other angel is described as presenting the prayers of the saints before the throne of God.

Angels acting as prayer messengers not only seems biblically sound but also answers the question, How can one saint in heaven possibly hear the simultaneous prayers of numerous people from all over the world since only God is omniscient and omnipresent? The Bible, in Matthew 18:10, suggests that each of us, or at least each believer, has an angel assigned to him. Perhaps when we finish praying, our assigned angel zips up to heaven and presents our prayer to the heaven court, to God or to one or more of his saints, and then zips back down to us. In that case, all that is necessary for a saint to be made aware of the simultaneous prayers of numerous people from all over the world is for all those angelic prayer messengers to figure out a way to present the prayers of their charges to the saint in an orderly and expeditious manner.

When saying the Hail Mary prayer just know that the Angel Gabriel and St. Elizabeth were the first to pray these prayers. Since the Bible gives us these prayers, then there is certainly no sin in repeating them. If you are having trouble asking the Virgin Mary to pray for you, then tell her this. Talk with her as you would your own mother. She understands these things. What you have trouble believing through knowledge and understanding, believe through faith. It’ll come to you if you ask for it and put forth the effort to try best you can.

God bless you in your journey of faith! :slight_smile:

And it wont make sense until you have a accurate understanding of who she is.

She is the Ark of the new covenant and Mother of God. Read REV, the end of chapter 11 and then chapter 12. (and remember chapter divisions are man made, not part of the bible). And then it becomes a little clearer that she is who the Church has said she is…our Mother.

Took me years to grasp her true identity because i didn’t understand the typology and the significance of some of these scriptural passages.

Pax

This is a really nice post that is well-said. :slight_smile:

As Aquinas said, ***“one who has faith no explanation is necessary, one without faith no explanation is sufficient.”

That said, here is why I, a Catholic, pray to saints and to Mary.

Praying to the Saints

The Bible Supports Praying to the Saints

Praying to Saints Revisited

Praying to Dead Folks

Praying to Mary - A Biblical Defense , (2 min video)

Unless you were praying to be seen by people, it was not vain.

This is how some denominations take the bible out of context in order to contradict the Catholic Church.

Some even go so far as to say the Lord’s Prayer is a vain repetition.

You can find evidence of the communion of saints in the bible and in early church tradition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.