I truly dislike saying the Rosary, did anyone learn to like it

I find saying the Rosary to be very tedious. I very much embrace the Church's teachings about Mary. Frequently people are given the advice to say the Rosary so much so that I understand that it is a special source of grace nearly to the level of a sacrament. I enjoy praying and also utilize a prayer book, however the Rosary just leaves me feeling bored. Any suggestions or should I just move on with other prayers and just view this as a non-issue?

the Church has a wealth of formal prayers and a rich tradition with many spiritualities find what works for you. Outside the liturgy they are all optional private devotions. Find what works for you. Just avoid the natural temptation of criticizing those who pray differently.

Puzzleannie, thanks for your sensible response. Cheers, g.

[quote="Tighty_Whitey, post:1, topic:222660"]
I find saying the Rosary to be very tedious. I very much embrace the Church's teachings about Mary. Frequently people are given the advice to say the Rosary so much so that I understand that it is a special source of grace nearly to the level of a sacrament. I enjoy praying and also utilize a prayer book, however the Rosary just leaves me feeling bored. Any suggestions or should I just move on with other prayers and just view this as a non-issue?

[/quote]

I know sometimes it can be difficult to pray the rosary, especially when it feels dry saying it but it's such a powerful means of grace that if you can slug through the dryness it will be well worth it. Our Lady wants us to come to her and spend time with her, then she feeds us through the Holy Rosary, with heavenly nourishment that enlivens our soul, helps deepen our devotion to Jesus.It's also a great way to pray the gospel and contemplate Christ with Mary.....it's kinda like walking down memory lane with Our Lady...if that makes sense

....and if you can't muster a rosary, just start out with a decade and ask your guardian angel to pray the rest for you.

“The greatest method of praying is to pray the Rosary.”
Saint Francis de Sales

“Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world.”
Pope Blessed Pius IX

“The Rosary is the most beautiful and the most rich in graces of all prayers; it is the prayer that touches most the Heart of the Mother of God…and if you wish peace to reign in your homes, recite the family Rosary.”
Pope Saint Pius X

“The Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Rosary to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families…that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.”
Sister Lucia dos Santos, Fatima seer

I love praying the rosary. I suggest that you really concentrate on the mysteries and on your intention for which you are praying to keep from getting bored. If your mind drifts, that's okay too; some times that is when God will send you a message.

The Rosary is the scourge of the devil. As Fr. John Corapi says, it's the "preferred small arms" of our Lord's army! He says you don't have to like saying it. Just do it. (Like the Nike saying.)

When we enjoy praying and get interior consolations, etc., from doing so, that's God's gift to us. Like teaching a baby to walk by holding its hands and showing it how to move its feet. When we don't enjoy the prayer, but do it anyway, that's our gift to God! He's allowing us to walk without holding our hands. :)

Here's a short series of talks by Fr. Corapi on the Rosary:

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Fr.%20Corapi---The%20Power%20of%20the%20Rosary---Part%201%20The%20Power%20of%20the%20Rosary.mp3

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Fr.%20Corapi---The%20Power%20of%20the%20Rosary---Part%202%20The%20Five%20Joyous%20Mysteries.mp3

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Fr.%20Corapi---The%20Power%20of%20the%20Rosary---Part%203%20The%20Five%20Sorrowful%20Mysteries.mp3

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Fr.%20Corapi---The%20Power%20of%20the%20Rosary---Part%204%20The%20Five%20Glorious%20Mysteries.mp3

Just right click on each one, then left click on Save Target As (for Internet Explorer). They're .MP3 files that you can listen to on your PC with Windows Media Player or RealPlayer, or copy to your MP3 player or ipad/ipod, or burn to CD's, etc.

I can relate to a point. But I found that if I just said 1 decade (and not the 5) per day it was "more manageable" so to speak. As the days went on I found that with my regular prayers of the day I was more open to saying 2 decades and so on until there is an eagerness to continue and pray to completion all 5. As the devotion grows in you, you become more attuned to the message of the Rosary and the Gospels, and learning the life of Jesus through Mary according to the Gospels. A scriptural Rosary is also a great way to get more from saying the Rosary too. Google it and print it...easy to find.

Like Puzzle said... really you can pray as you are comfortable. Search and find a devotion that you are passionate about and your spiritual life will flourish more then if you feel that you have to stick to something that you really don't "feel".

Keep searching, you'll find something.

Paul

SeekingHisHeart, thank you for your reply and enthusiasm. I appreciate the citations and recognition that the Rosary is a special source of grace. Many thanks, g.

I once said the rosary in a group & a Deacon was leading us…he had an intention for EVERY Hail Mary & oddly enough I automatically adopted this method & I feel it keeps me interested & engaged with every prayer & I have learned to love it. I feel as if I am helping so many in the 1/2 hour it takes me to say it. If I have a prayer list, every single person or need is touched when I say it. Once you get into the habit of it, like excersise, you miss it when you DON’T say it. Good luck, it’s a beautiful prayer & obviously encouraged for our (& others) salvation.

[quote="SillyLizzy, post:9, topic:222660"]
I once said the rosary in a group & a Deacon was leading us...he had an intention for EVERY Hail Mary & oddly enough I automatically adopted this method & I feel it keeps me interested & engaged with every prayer & I have learned to love it. I feel as if I am helping so many in the 1/2 hour it takes me to say it. If I have a prayer list, every single person or need is touched when I say it. Once you get into the habit of it, like excersise, you miss it when you DON'T say it. Good luck, it's a beautiful prayer & obviously encouraged for our (& others) salvation.

[/quote]

I do the same thing! I have an intention for every single Hail Mary and I have been utterly amazed at how many of my prayers have been answered thru this! It is a blessing indeed! I'm glad to hear someone else doing this as well. I think it's a beautiful way to say the Rosary and it keeps all my loved ones and ..not-so-loved-ones on my mind and in my prayers. I often make a list of all those I want to pray for and sometimes have to add more Hail Mary's!!

[/quote]

There are actually various ways of praying the rosary, some longer than others. You can find this in "The Secret of the Rosary", written by St. Louis de Monfort. If memory serves me correct, he also speaks of a very quick way of saying a rosary. That said, the Blessed Virgin appreciates a well-thought and well-said Hail Mary prayer than 100 poorly bad ones, so keep that in mind.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

4shared.com/get/VfYDgeb_/Vital_Lehodey_-_The_Ways_of_Me.html

TighteyWhitey -

I love praying the rosary especially when "attaching" intentions on the Hail Mary's and also praying the rosary through the Scriptures (several books on it).

What a great God we have that we can pray however/whenever/wherever we want.

Praise God!

I can't speak and meditate, nor can I "mentally" speak and meditate.

So, I just mediate on the Scripture passage / mystery as seen through the eyes of Mary.

Then I say a Hail Mary asking her to pray for me, and I move on to the next passage.

This is awesome! Lots of good advice and suggestions. Many thanks!

[/quote]

I pray it very infrequently. Although I am partial to the odd impromtu Hail Mary. :thumbsup:

I used to dislike the Rosary; now I consider the day wasted if I haven't said at least 5 decades

The links at the top helped me :)
rosary-center.org/howto.htm

Read The Secret of The Rosary by St. Louis de Monfort. It's really great! catholictradition.org/Classics/secret-rosary.htm

A few years back, I thought the rosary was boring. I was just forcing myself to finish the 5 decades. But now, it's one of my favorite devotions. :D

I look at it very differently. To me its time management which comes down to 15-minutes daily for 5-decades. So, I look at it like this , “Do I have 15-minutes daily for Jesus Christ, God, Salvation of my Soul, the Holy Family, Eternity/Heaven?”

Could I devote 15-minutes out of 24-Hours for eternal life/salvation? If not, than really what am I doing? Do I even believe? Am I kidding myself here? I should just show up and have an abundance of Grace bestowed upon me?

To me it doesn’t really come down to likes or dislikes. It comes down to a NEED. What needs to be done for salvation of the Soul.

No different than cardio-vascular or lifting weights, or whatever to gain physical fitness. Its not about a like/dislike. Its to acheive a goal of fitness. Same with Prayer only the goal is spiritual fitness and not physical.

God Bless, GT

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.