I used to feel "called"

Now there are times when I do, and times when I don’t. It’s very inconsistent. It’s very disheartening. I don’t know if the Lord has stopped calling me, or maybe never was, or if He is and I’m just blocking it out because of my own fears and frustrations (of which I have plenty). Any thoughts?

You need to speak to your priest or find a good spiritual advisor to guide you through this. Discernment is a process and sometimes you have to doubt in order to find what your true calling is.

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:2, topic:259413"]
You need to speak to your priest or find a good spiritual advisor to guide you through this. Discernment is a process and sometimes you have to doubt in order to find what your true calling is.

[/quote]

And how does one find a good spiritual advisor?
It was so much easier to discern my vocation when I was young and naive.

[quote="Providence_Peep, post:3, topic:259413"]

[/quote]

Have you talked with the vocations office in your diocese?
That is usually the best place to start! :)

Peace be with you on your journey!!

Oh, if it were only that easy.

It actually is that easy. Are you afraid to speak to someone? Were there past issues or concerns you had that want you not to talk to a VD? I don’t need to know the answer, but if you do not want to talk to your diocese’s VD, for whatever reason, contact another diocese’s VD.

If you’re afraid to contact him due to some perceived impediment you believe you have, still feel free to contact him. You can bring up the impediment issue with your SD. Your VD doesn’t need to know about it unless you are actually applying for formation or seminary, which would be some time after you begun your discernment process.

Call your local parish or a parish nearby you and ask to talk to their pastor. Ask him if he knows of a good SD for you to speak with. Ask them to work with you on an anonymous basis.

Finally, if you still feel uncomfortable, talk to your priest in the confessional. He’ll be required to not share any information and he will not be able to see you.

You can find your local or another VD here: ncdvd.org/vocation_directors.asp

Perhaps you aren’t aware of this, but the reality is that, if Mr. Peep were to speak with a VD of another diocese, it wouldn’t take long for the the VD of Mr. Peep’s own diocese to find out.

[quote="Providence_Peep, post:3, topic:259413"]

[/quote]

[quote="Providence_Peep, post:5, topic:259413"]
Oh, if it were only that easy.

[/quote]

If, as you said in another post, you were in the seminary for a while, I am finding this post hard to believe. And since you have been introducing the subject of the NAOCC, I'm wondering if you are either, A) a troll promoting the NAOCC, or B) you are not qualified to become a priest in the Catholic Church.

God is calling everyone to sanctity. That's the first and most important call. Start there.

[quote="Providence_Peep, post:1, topic:259413"]
Now there are times when I do, and times when I don't. It's very inconsistent. It's very disheartening. I don't know if the Lord has stopped calling me, or maybe never was, or if He is and I'm just blocking it out because of my own fears and frustrations (of which I have plenty). Any thoughts?

[/quote]

I think maybe try to surrender your fears, becuase they block us from hearing God. We can only discern when we are at peace. :) then we can hear Him more clearly. Try to speak to a good priest.

God bless

[quote="Catholic7000, post:7, topic:259413"]
Perhaps you aren't aware of this, but the reality is that, if Mr. Peep were to speak with a VD of another diocese, it wouldn't take long for the the VD of Mr. Peep's own diocese to find out.

[/quote]

right, most VDs link up with vocationmatch or the like, however, there is always the request of anonymity.

[quote="Viola_Incognita, post:8, topic:259413"]
If, as you said in another post, you were in the seminary for a while, I am finding this post hard to believe.

[/quote]

What is so hard to believe about anything that I've written?

And since you have been introducing the subject of the NAOCC, I'm wondering if you are either, A) a troll promoting the NAOCC, or B) you are not qualified to become a priest in the Catholic Church.

I have already said that I have no intention of going to a NAOCC service anytime soon.

Why do you say I am not qualified to become a priest in the Catholic Church?

[quote="Saint_Macarius, post:10, topic:259413"]
right, most VDs link up with vocationmatch or the like, however, there is always the request of anonymity.

[/quote]

What is vocationmatch?

Now there are times when I do, and times when I don't. It's very inconsistent. It's very disheartening. I don't know if the Lord has stopped calling me, or maybe never was, or if He is and I'm just blocking it out because of my own fears and frustrations (of which I have plenty). Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Basically, there are three signs of vocation:

An attraction to the life
The ability to lead the life
Acceptance into the life

You seem to certainly still have attraction and I am presuming that you have the necessary ability or qualities. These are the first two signs - the third is the final sign and that is that a religious order or the priesthood accepts your application. But your discerning at this point involves attraction and ability.

The reason that the feeling that God is calling you comes and goes could have many reasons- many - and it would take spiritual direction probably to guide you and give you some insight and understanding. Fears and frustrations and even a 'see saw' type of ' I am called/I am not called' type of reaction - and all sorts of negative matters can arise when considering/discerning something as serious as a decision for the rest of one's life and if it is God's Will for you and perhaps particularly if one does not have a spiritual director. Not unusual at all.

If you have contacted your diocesan offices and they cannot help you re a spiritual director, and this would be most unusual I should think, you certainly could make an appointment with the Vocations Director in your diocese and go from there. The other alternative is to contact religious orders and ask them if they undertake spiritual direction.

Tigger

[/quote]

I went through the exact same thing! Finally, I decided that the best thing to do would be to just give it to the Lord (that is, to give Him all my wonders and fears about the future). Once I realized that the only way to be happy is to do the will of the Lord, I asked God in all honesty to tell me what it is He wants me to be. Seeing how utterly lost I was, He gladly helped me out. He showed me His Great Love for me, and I knew from that moment that I am meant to be a Bride of Christ.

The Lord might not reveal it to you in this way, but, even when you are confused, rejoice in doing His Will by not knowing. If it is not yet His Will that you know, then do not seek to know His Will unless you feel that you must know. Wait patiently and the answers will come to you. After this darkness, your resolve will be even stronger and you will know that what you are doing is according to His Will.

The Lord doesn't "stop calling you," but you might have matured more and seen things that you failed to see before. God is all-powerful, and He can reach through anything, even fear and spiritual darkness, to help you! He is most likely using this darkness to strengthen your faith and your soul.

I agree that you probably should talk to a priest or spiritual director about this. I could give you tons of advice from my own experience, but a priest/someone experienced in helping people through these kind of things will most likely give you the best help.

Have faith and never lose hope! Trust always in the Lord!

God bless you on your journey! I will be praying for you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.