I used to pray daily

After years of praying for my son with physical and emotional difficulties from a premature birth, with no discernable effect, I give up. Apparently God enjoys my son being handicapped. Everything that happens must be a reflection of either God’s permissive will or his active will. Since God always does his will, what’s the point of praying? I can see a theoretical argument for praying to resign oneself to God’s will or even loving it. Practicality might force me to be resigned to my son’s handicaps, but I cannot imagine LOVING God’s will that his life be the way it is.

So save yourselves the anxiety of wondering whether God is going to answer this prayer or that. He’s going to do or permit whateve he wants. Just let go and take whatever comes.

Dear Jesus please help this good suffering soul to see what might be Your hidden good in this childs life, and what he is meant to teach by his reality. As a mother of sons, I feel for you. As a sister of my younger sister who raised her own five and knowingly adopted two handicapped children, one severely, I pray for you with real consciousness of what it entails for you; and as sister to a brother who raised three children of his own, and then deliberately and knowingly, with his wife, adopted two severely handicapped and one simply Down’s child, I reall do know about the anxieties, the hospital visits, the unending care…that somehow is done with great love…but with pain.

Our God, we pray to You for others and ourselves, and sometimes it seems, if only for a time, a time of awful pain and loneliness, that no one is listening, that You are not there
Many have turned away, disappointed and bitter, that You have not answered their urgent prayer, their painful need for self and for others. There is no satisfactory human answer to their challenge, whatever one might say of Your ways, Your time, because their anguish or their anger is the reality they experience.

Dear God, You need no reminder, but our humanness leads me to remind You that we are human in our minds and hearts and bodies. We have little or no actual sense or knowledge of ourselves as spirit. If You do not touch us as human beings living in a physical world that we acutely experience, then who can blame anyone for losing faith and hope in You. I cannot blame those who do…but I pray for them with all my heart and life.

O silent God let us hear Your voice in the words of others, and let us be Your love spoken to them. Yet may I ask that You also speak directly to their hearts and minds with unmistakeable Love even where we cannot detect the action of Your Spirit in ourselves or in others. Speak to them in their last moments, if not before.

Please be mindful of our needs, and nurture us as we pray and seek Your healing and care. Embrace all who have lost their hope in God and prayer.

Trust
Eternal Father, I cannot endure prolonged or severe spiritual desolation without Your support. Please comfort me, and increase my faith.

Jesus suffered doubt as we do when He cried out, “My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?” We unite our doubt with His, for You look with silent pity and unspeakable love on Your Son. You know that Jesus, though sinless, chose to suffer with us, drinking the cup of our unloving choices.

Jesus, You say to me, “Take up your cross and follow Me!” “If you love me, keep my commandments.” I fix my eyes upon the bright scars of Your ransom for me. Why did You suffer so terribly for me who even now remain unconverted? Yet Your wounds, Your hands, Your heart and Your word are filled with promises that You desire to fulfil in me and in others.

Give me strength to bear doubt when it comes, our God, so that with Jesus we can say, “Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit”, thus joining with Him to death of unbelief and sin—into freedom of rising with Him into the glory of the redeemed spirit.

I offer You my only coin—trust against all appearances, hope despite my heartache, and faith despite my sins and flaws. Mercifully accept this meagre offering and open Your treasure house of love to me and my loved ones, and to those whom You wish to serve through me.

I’m so sorry I can’t give you a real answer, because your question comes from so much pain and desperation. So all I’ve done is share something of the stuff I wrote when trying to make sense of the terrible helplessness one feels when one’s children are suffering. It’s far from the whole story, what I’ve shared. I know. And it doesn’t answer your questions. There are many things possible to say, and you probably already know them in principle, but nothing answers the distress you feel unless God answers it in your heart.
Obviously I’ll be thinking of you and praying for you. How can I not.

Why have You abandoned us?

Dear Lord, dear citizens of Heaven above…
I pray for sake of all I love
that You could speak with us,
that You would answer direful need
when hearts rise up to plead.

I know when they request of me
some help, I respond immediately!
It hurts when You appear to care
not even quite as much as that!

Do You not care that hearts lose hope
when no word or sign or touch
comes even to the heartfelt cry,
the most intense of prayers?

I would defend Your merciful Name to them–
but what apologetics, or platitudes or words,
are strong enough to counter and outweigh
the honest disillusion, loss, and pain they feel?

[BYour thoughts are far above our human minds,
Your ways are vastly beyond, Scripture claims.
For us to rise and grow in them, Yourself must lift,
heal, illumine, nourish, and cherish us aloft.

]Please give Your comfort, speak Your truth.
Let our prayers seem not in vain.
Save us from our desperate straits.
Grant our lives experience of Your love.

I don’t think God derives pleasure when people suffer, most especially when it is innocent children. We live in a world damaged by sin. Bad things happen to good people because the world is filled with poverty, disease, injuries, natural disasters, and so on. How we respond to these can go a long way in what happens to our faith. My concern here is for your precious son. He will model your bitterness if you allow it to take over you. For his sake, be honest with God. Tell God you are angry and disappointed and ask Him to help you deal with those feelings as you raise your son. God still loves you no matter how upset you might be with Him. I am struggling with issues with my now adult son. I know how heartbreaking it can be to watch your child struggle. Trust that God loves your son at least as much as you do. I hope this helps a little.

I don’t believe God ‘enjoys’ our suffering, or that of our children…Rather, perhaps pray for strength, understanding and the ability to persevere with your son…I think that when we don’t hear certain things from God, perhaps He is responding to our prayers in a different way–and His way is always best, even though we can’t see it right away. :o I pray for your son, and you…I’m sorry you’re hurting right now, but never give up your prayer life…just talk to God, doesn’t always have to be a formal prayer. Allow Him to ease your pain, and just rest your head on His shoulder. God bless you!

All prayers are answered.
No prayer is wasted.
Sometimes the answer is “NO.” I’ve personally received that answer for something I specifically prayed about. Sometimes after some time passes, you might even get to see in this life the reason(s) why.

Not all healing is physical. Healing can also be spiritual, emotional, mental, financial, social.

And we should not become anxious wondering if God is going to grant a prayer. St. Padre Pio said, “Pray, hope, and don’t worry.”

St. Padre Pio, pray for Sonny1954’s intentions.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thank you to each and every one of you good, faith-filled people. Thank you for your prayers. I truly appreciate them.

God is with you always, and God loves us no matter how broken we are. We are praying hard for you Sonny. We are also praying that you have peace of body, mind, and soul for your sake, as well as for that of your family’s sake, Sonny. Don’t give up. God hears your prayers. And believe it or not, God loves you and your family.
You are on my rosary list this morning. I will pray for you always. My nephews are Autisic. and one cannot speak words without prompts to do so. It took him 4 yrs to speak words, but he is able to do so. So that he gets what he needs out of life. I DO understand, and I DO empathize with you. I have disabilities of my own…Severe diabetes and liver disease, just to mention 2 out of 12. If you wish we can speak in private conversations in this forum if you feel the need to just unload some anger or something.
God’s Blessings,
mary1173

Praying for your peace and the well-being of all your loved ones…
Our Father, Who art in Heaven,hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done,
on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,pray for us now, and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, as is and
ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell,
lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of Your Mercy.
Amen

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Dear Father, when anything is worrying regarding one’s child and the parent tries everything time and time again, yet to no avail, the anguish can be almost unbearable, and parents can be worn out beyond possibility of expressing their actual pain. Father for sake of Jesus Your Son, please have mercy on Sonny and his family, and on others who are suffering similarly

Again, I am deeply moved by the sincere, loving prayers of all of you good people. You are indeed an inspiration to me.

AMEN!

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done,
on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us now, and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, to the Son,and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, as is and
ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell,
lead all souls to heaven, especially, those in most need of Your Mercy.
Amen

God doesn’t “enjoy” the suffering of your son, any more than He “enjoyed” the crucifixion of His beloved Son. God permits these things for some immensely greater reason that stems from His love. We cannot fully see that reason now, but we know that He is our loving Father, infinitely wiser than we are - how can we expect to know His reasons, or complain against Him?

Our prayers are accepted by Him as a part of His plan. If we pray, He gives us greater help to understand His answers and to accept His will gladly.

==
Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou
among women,
and blessed is the
fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour
of our death. Amen.

God listens to our prayers.
I am praying that will see God’s hand in your life and that of your son’s. I will keep you close in my prayers. There is hope! :slight_smile:

" O blood and water, which gushed forth from the heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us,
I trust in You." Amen.

Jesus please help these parents every day as they strive to achieve the best for their child.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Again, I have to thank each of you kind posters. You have moved me to try praying daily for my son again. Not for a cure. But for God’s will to be done in his life.

I’m not so old that my mind and heart cannot be moved in the face of such faith.

Dear Lord allow Sonny’s family and Sonny find comfort in your love for them, and understanding that you are with them always. In the shadow of darkness, you are the light that leads the way. In the midst of the storm, you rescue from the flood. In the loneliness and despair, you are the bouy of the heart and soul. And in all your wonderous ways, Lord, you are the giver of life, the forgiver of sins, and the life of the world to come,
Amen

How Great is our God…

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.