I’ve been a Democrat for 20 years. Here’s what I experienced at Trump’s rally

Because it keeps falling down?

Valid point. But remember, even though Congress didn’t allocate any money for the wall Trump took it from the military budget, so now military families aren’t getting renovated base houses or new schools.

Except, of course, in Kentucky. Mitch made sure to take care of his state.

That’s why we elect them from each state though. I’m sure other states got something KY wanted but didn’t get.

You don’t get it. Military funding was taken from all states but Kentucky, from what I remember.

Hasn’t military funding increased under Trump ?

I am NOT a Trump supporter, but I still think he will win in November. This is more because of the candidates on the Democratic side rather than Trump’s positive accomplishments. For the Democrats, the fault lies not in their stars, but in themselves. The candidates vying for the nomination as of right now include a 78-year old man who recently had a heart attack, a gay man who is married to another man, a woman with moderate-sounding ideas who looks and sounds like the girl-next-door rather than a presidential leader, and another woman who seemed promising at first but is fizzling out, perhaps due to her second-hand leftist policies copied from the master of such policies. Oh yes, there is also a man in his late seventies who has always been prone to gaffes and is now looking quite tired and sounding as though he has the early signs of dementia. These are the current choices. I have nothing personally against any of these people, and in fact wish them all well. But none of them is so appealing even to dyed-in-the-wool Democrats, let alone Independents and potential cross-over Republicans.

1 Like

The article certainly stated the reason why Trump will win. Look at the knitting reference and Mx. Borysenko’s statement about online harassment of individuals who were “not lockstep” in the ideologies of bullying social justice warriors. Those “social justice warriors” definitely leaned left, since the author identified as a long-term registered democrat of 20 years.

The unforgiving behavior of the left is of great concern to the author who writes, “Many things were not right about the hatred, and witnessing the vitriol coming from those I had aligned myself with politically was a massive wake-up call.”

She is not talking about everyday knitters being bullied for their beliefs by “right-wing haters”. Instead, the rage is coming from self-righteous liberals who are affiliated with the Democrat party. They are the voice of the current party and will not tolerate anything but absolute belief and adherence with their leftist political views.

The author makes it clear that she had no interest in Trump, his party, and his supporters because she had already had an established perspective of him that was reinforced by the “echochamber” she had buffered herself with (by cutting out any voices of those who saw Trump through a different lens).

However, it was that knitting group’s experience that challenged her to open her mind. The author says, “But when I witnessed the amount of hate coming from the left in this small, niche knitting community, I started to question everything. I started making a proactive effort to break my echo chamber by listening to voices I thought I would disagree with.

So, the author chooses to attend a Trump rally, test the voices, and leaves pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome she received (even though she said she was a Democrat) and by the respectful camaraderie between Trump’s supporters.

It challenged her to question everything she had heard about Trump and the conservative party and whether she was so filled with spite that she would prefer to “see my country fail just to spite him and everyone who voted for him?” She ultimately decides to #walkaway from the democrats, register as an Independent, and “sit in the middle for awhile” per her quote.

Reading the article, one can clearly conclude that currently, there is no room for a moderate in the party of democrats. A dem voter better adhere to every proposed ideal of the party, or be met with ostracism and bullying by those who feel that they are the absolute voice of the party.

And this^^ is why Trump will win the election. Moderates in the Democrat party will vote for Trump because they do not have a space, place, or voice in their own political party at this time.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.