I voted, but will it matter?

Yes, I went and fulfilled my civic and moral responsibility and voted today. I must confess to a certain weariness and cynicism, however. My entire adult life I’ve voted for candidates who claim to be strongly pro-life, many of whom have made it to public office. So often, once they are elected their pro-life rhetoric and promises are scarcely heard from again…until the next election cycle, of course.

Here in Michigan, we’ve had a pro-life Republican governor with majorities in the House and Senate a few times in the last 20 years but yet almost nothing changes. Few if any bills or amendments which would help curb abortions were even introduced, let alone passed. I’m a public school teacher, so voting for a lot of these conservatives really is not helping my own financial cause - sometimes, it’s quite the opposite - but I do it because I believe pro-life issues outweigh my personal financial ones. But yet, nothing changes.

Am I wrong to feel this fatigue, this weariness? So many politicians or candidates seem to advertise their pro-life beliefs while campaigning, but yet go nearly silent once in office. Anyone else feel this way?

Prayers said for the needs of our country.

[INDENT]In my district, there’s virtually no chance that our congressman will ever be voted out. I have to give him credit for at least listening to his constituents. And he was helpful during Hurricane Sandy. But all we can do is vote our consciences as God directs us. And we pray for the best for our country.

God willing, we will bring about the kingdom of God here on earth. Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.

:crossrc:

[/INDENT]

By voting pro life you are helping keep some restriction on abortion. It cannot be outlawed due to roe v wade unless the court changes something.

We often think if we vote pro life it should get outlawed or heavily restricted. It doesn’t really work that way unfortunately.

Keep voting. It does matter!

Your vote helps keep abortion advocates out. If you join others to keep the fire to their toes, those you vote for might start doing more. Look into what happened in those states where the state governments have institutes restrictions–what was different?

ETA: Personally, I think you would be a great person to talk to legislators: to say what you just said right here.

In reality, they don’t know why you voted for them–maybe because of their fiscal policies, or maybe because they are pro-business. It’s up to you to let them know why you voted for them, and I suggest working with a group only because in a realistic level, that packs more punch.

I agree with you, but we are advised by the Church of our civil responsibities which we perform. If you want to know who will win the election ask me who I voted against. :slight_smile:

Fortunately I have a different perspective. If God wanted a good man to run the country, he will be elected. It’s my belief the reason God lets people fail is to make us realize that it is not the people that run the world, it is Him. People now-a-days think they can control everything without God. It’s no longer “In God We Trust” with a great majority of people. It do unto others, before they do unto you. Money is the Golden god, security, and happiness. I look not at the elected officials as much as I do at society in general. Human corruption is endemic, and only Jesus Christ can save us from this evil. I think when society learns it’s lesson that without God, all is futile, and becomes humble and submissive to His Rule, things will get better. All the blood shed for the freedoms we enjoy in this country is still no guarantee that it will last, and we can fall into the trap of taking things for granted. Vote your conscience as your civic duty, but keep your eye on society, if it doesn’t turn to God it will lose all of it’s blessings. There are plenty of warnings, but some still go on partying, living as they please. I pray for the young generation, some of the older generation didn’t provide good example and truth. Some did. The one saving concept to all of this is “Where evil abounds, grace abounds even more.” Trust in God!!

:gopray:

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end
Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

:signofcross:

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Amen.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give our civic leaders guidance & direction for our country.

A Pro-Life Prayer for Our President and Public Officials

Lord God, Author of Life and Source of Eternal Life, move the hearts of all our public officials and especially our President, to fulfill their responsibilities worthily and well to all those entrusted to their care. Help them in their special leadership roles, to extend the mantle of protection to the most vulnerable, especially the defenseless unborn, whose lives are threatened with extermination by an indifferent society. Guide all public officials by your wisdom and grace to cease supporting any law that fails to protect the fundamental good that is human life itself, which is a gift from God and parents. You are the Protector and Defender of the lives of the innocent unborn. Change the hearts of those who compromise the call to protect and defend life. Bring our nation to the values that have made us a great nation, a society that upholds the values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all. Mary, the Mother of the living, help us to bear witness to the Gospel of Life with our lives and our laws, through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

I really do understand your frustration. Still we must remain faithful to Christ and continue to pursue as warriors against the tides of cultural tide. Remember always that our battles are spiritual, not earthly. REMAIN steadfast in faith and do the Willl of Chirst as shown in the teachings of the Church and be Strong in HIM,
mlz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.