I walked out of church today

because I couldn’t STAND what I was seeing.

I was visiting family up in Las Vegas and decided to go to Mass before I started the long drive home to Los Angeles.

The name of the parish should have been a warning: EDIT Catholic Community (I’m sure that there are Catholic “Communities” that are just fine, but still…what’s wrong with Catholic Church?).

Walking into a big squarish room with a chopping block on a platform surrounded by chairs (no kneelers!) facing a center “aisle” with the chopping block in the middle maybe should have tipped me off…

A hear empty baptismal font, the only source of holy water in the place, that you have to reach in to your elbow to wet your fingers should have maybe given me a clue…

Or being told, “leave a path for the dancer” in the procession of palms should have given me some kind of indication…

Or the priest wearing the stole over the chasuble could have told me something

But no. I decided, maybe these are just quirks. Well, Magnifcat in hand (there were no missallettes, either), I decided to see if my suspicions were true.

Oh, God, they were and worse than I even thought possible.

Okay, the priest read the Gospel for the procession and blessed the palms okay. But then, for the procession, there was a dixieland band playing, “When the Saints Go Marching In” and this woman waving a rag around in some kind of strange gyrations around the platform with the chopping block on it. Then, before the two readings, the priest gave a little synopsis of what the readings are about before allowing the readings to be read. And there was no Responsorial Psalm. Oh, there was some little ditty about ships lost in the night and being in need of friendship because of betrayal, but I thought Psalm 22 was on tap for today. Then…the straw that broke the camel’s back…some kind of performance for the Passion Gospel. Now, I wouldn’t have minded too much if they decided to have a mini passion play that followed along with the Passion according to Mark. But no, it was a MUSICAL! Granted, I was in Las Vegas, but if I want to see a musical, I’ll go to the Strip. Again, I wouldn’t have minded so much if it followed the Passion…but it didn’t. It started at the Triumphal Entry and I walked out when this guy with a FAB voice :rolleyes: was singing some soulful little ditty (I was so flustered, I coulnd’t even pay attention) walked up onto the platform with the choppoing block on it and started singing like he was doing some show a couple miles away (on the Strip). I couldn’t stand it any more. After seeing all this, I didn’t even want to KNOW what they were going to use to consecrate for communion, so I walked out.

All I could think as I walked out of there is…what a MOCKERY. I was very disappointed.

It felt very put on and not at all liturgical. Now, I can’t judge the intent of the people doing the show, but come on! I could have gone to a baptist church downt he street and gotten something similar. but this is the HOLY SACRIFICE OF THE MASS, not a passion play. If this parish wants to do a Passion Play on Saturday ngiht and all through Holy Week, I’m all good with that, but please don’t foist it on unsuspecting guests who expect to get THE MASS on Sunday morning.

This really gave me a good lesson in the liturgy. We can become pharisaical about the Mass (this is speaking to myself, no one else), but after seeing this, the liturgical abuses that go on here in Los Angeles seem like insiginificant little mistakes compared to this travesty.

Two things. I had to drive back, and didn’t even come close to being back in LA in time to go to evening Mass for Sunday. Mortal sin?

Second, is this the norm up in Vegas or is this parish notorious for being nutty? I have family up there and like to visit and may need to go to Mass up there.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Comtemporary Catholic Church. :eek:

I cannot judge the sinfulness of your action. I doubt it would qualify as mortal since your intention was to attend Mass.

I also do not understand why we have decided to trash our heritage (I am listening to the Missa Papae Marcelli by Palestrina as I type.) for the “pop” sounding music of Life Teen Masses.

As far as dancers, Pope Benedict says that there is absolutely no place for dance in the liturgy. I have a suspicion that liturgical dancing will be banned in the near future.

[quote=WBB]I cannot judge the sinfulness of your action. I doubt it would qualify as mortal since your intention was to attend Mass.

I also do not understand why we have decided to trash our heritage (I am listening to the Missa Papae Marcelli by Palestrina as I type.) for the “pop” sounding music of Life Teen Masses.

As far as dancers, Pope Benedict says that there is absolutely no place for dance in the liturgy. I have a suspicion that liturgical dancing will be banned in the near future.
[/quote]

The parish I like to go to here in LA sings “Oh Jesus we adore thee” for communion every Sunday and sings some of the parts of the Mass in Latin. They actually have a Gregorian Mass for the Saturday Vigil and I go to that Mass when I can.

I, too, am only six days away from full communion with the Church. I’m so excited! :slight_smile:

[quote=LCMS_No_More]The parish I like to go to here in LA sings “Oh Jesus we adore thee” for communion every Sunday and sings some of the parts of the Mass in Latin. They actually have a Gregorian Mass for the Saturday Vigil and I go to that Mass when I can.

I, too, am only six days away from full communion with the Church. I’m so excited! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Congratulations!

May God bless you and through the intercession of Blessed Mary and all the angels and saints, may you be led to truth!

[quote=LCMS_No_More]because I couldn’t STAND what I was seeing.

I was visiting family up in Las Vegas and decided to go to Mass before I started the long drive home to Los Angeles.

The name of the parish should have been a warning: EDIT Catholic Community (I’m sure that there are Catholic “Communities” that are just fine, but still…what’s wrong with Catholic Church?).

Walking into a big squarish room with a chopping block on a platform surrounded by chairs (no kneelers!) facing a center “aisle” with the chopping block in the middle maybe should have tipped me off…

A hear empty baptismal font, the only source of holy water in the place, that you have to reach in to your elbow to wet your fingers should have maybe given me a clue…

Or being told, “leave a path for the dancer” in the procession of palms should have given me some kind of indication…

But no. I decided, maybe these are just quirks. Well, Magnifcat in hand (there were no missallettes, either), I decided to see if my suspicions were true.

Okay, the priest read the Gospel for the procession and blessed the palms okay. But then, for the procession, there was a dixieland band playing, “When the Saints Go Marching In” and this woman waving a rag around in some kind of strange gyrations around the platform with the chopping block on it. Then, before the two readings, the priest gave a little synopsis of what the readings are about before allowing the readings to be read. And there was no Responsorial Psalm. Oh, there was some little ditty about ships lost in the night and being in need of friendship because of betrayal, but I thought Psalm 22 was on tap for today. Then…the straw that broke the camel’s back…some kind of performance for the Passion Gospel. Now, I wouldn’t have minded too much if they decided to have a mini passion play that followed along with the Passion according to Mark. But no, it was a MUSICAL! Granted, I was in Las Vegas, but if I want to see a musical, I’ll go to the Strip. Again, I wouldn’t have minded so much if it followed the Passion…but it didn’t. It started at the Triumphal Entry and I walked out when this guy with a FAB voice :rolleyes: was singing some soulful little ditty (I was so flustered, I coulnd’t even pay attention) walked up onto the platform with the choppoing block on it and started singing like he was doing some show a couple miles away (on the Strip). I couldn’t stand it any more. After seeing all this, I didn’t even want to KNOW what they were going to use to consecrate for communion, so I walked out.

All I could think as I walked out of there is…what a MOCKERY. I was very disappointed.

It felt very put on and not at all liturgical. Now, I can’t judge the intent of the people doing the show, but come on! I could have gone to a baptist church downt he street and gotten something similar. but this is the HOLY SACRIFICE OF THE MASS, not a passion play. If this parish wants to do a Passion Play on Saturday ngiht and all through Holy Week, I’m all good with that, but please don’t foist it on unsuspecting guests who expect to get THE MASS on Sunday morning.

This really gave me a good lesson in the liturgy. We can become pharisaical about the Mass (this is speaking to myself, no one else), but after seeing this, the liturgical abuses that go on here in Los Angeles seem like insiginificant little mistakes compared to this travesty.

Two things. I had to drive back, and didn’t even come close to being back in LA in time to go to evening Mass for Sunday. Mortal sin?

Second, is this the norm up in Vegas or is this parish notorious for being nutty? I have family up there and like to visit and may need to go to Mass up there.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I attempted to take a look at their website. It seems that they are in need of more dancers, as they have posted an ad asking for volunteers. :frowning:

[quote=Tietjen]I attempted to take a look at their website. It seems that they are in need of more dancers, as they have posted an ad asking for volunteers. :frowning:
[/quote]

“Prayer-movement” ?

Gag me.

Not sure about the sinfulness of this situation. I would recommend asking a good (orthodox) confessor. I think, were I in that situation I would have at least waited for the consecration. If I observed anything that would have invalidated it, then I would have left. But if it were valid, then that means it’s still the Mass, as butchered as it was, and it would therefore be better to suffer silently through it with our Lord than leave Him alone with these lunatics.

**GENERAL NOTICE

When desiring to post a general grievance or complaint-- in your charity would posters be so kind as to cease identifying or pointing fingers at a specific parish/pastor/diocese unless there is an attached news story or article which does identify a particular location and you are linking to it.

It is sufficient to list your complaint, your experience and your general unhappiness without have to identify specific individuals/locations.

If the reason for posting is to discuss a situation, please limit yourself to that content.

As always your assistance and cooperation are appreciated.

I have family in Vegas as well and I usually go to this one church that is right off the strip on Reno. I forget the name but it is kind of by Tropicana and near the Mandalay Bay. What you describe is not the norm in Vegas or at least I don’t think it is.

Wow, lots of stuff in your post.

Chopping Block: I wish I could see it, because a chopping block seems more the idea for an altar than the table in use in most parishes now.

Also it was Palm Sunday, which was about the Triumphant Entry into Jerusalem, so it was appropriate for the Passion narrative to start there.

As for the rest? YUCK, I would have walked out too.

[quote=wjp984]I have family in Vegas as well and I usually go to this one church that is right off the strip on Reno. I forget the name but it is kind of by Tropicana and near the Mandalay Bay. What you describe is not the norm in Vegas or at least I don’t think it is.
[/quote]

What is the name of the church. I am scheduled to go to a convention later this year at the Mandelay Bay.

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]What is the name of the church. I am scheduled to go to a convention later this year at the Mandelay Bay.

PF
[/quote]

You should ask her to PM (Private Message) you that information as I believe that posting it here would be in violation of the forum rules that our moderator has posted in an earlier post on this thread.

[quote=Marian Carroll]GENERAL NOTICE

When desiring to post a general grievance or complaint-- in your charity would posters be so kind as to cease identifying or pointing fingers at a specific parish/pastor/diocese unless there is an attached news story or article which does identify a particular location and you are linking to it.

It is sufficient to list your complaint, your experience and your general unhappiness without have to identify specific individuals/locations.

If the reason for posting is to discuss a situation, please limit yourself to that content.

As always your assistance and cooperation are appreciated.

[/quote]

In Las Vegas? I notice on their website you have to schedule an appointment for reconciliation.

I visited the website of the OP original post. Read their bulletin! These folks are not really in communion with ROME. No way no how. In fact they should be asked to not identify with the R.C. church. CENTERING PRAYER!!! This is medicine for me. I now realized that my diocese is nowhere near as bad as this one.

[quote=LCMS_No_More]because I couldn’t STAND what I was seeing.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I would laugh but it’s not funny. Sorry you had to endure this.

As for missing Mass: what I have been told is that you are not obligated to attend Mass when away from your home Diocese and Parish. It is, however, commendable to try to attendwhile away. I would check this with a good, trusted Priest.

It is our practice to always make sure we attend Mass when traveling. As part of preparations for a trip, we look for a Mass before hand; either online, or through friends, etc.

[quote=LeahInancsi]Welcome to the Comtemporary Catholic Church. :eek:
[/quote]

You mean Contemporary Catholic Community.

I would’ve walked too.

[quote=WBB]I cannot judge the sinfulness of your action. I doubt it would qualify as mortal since your intention was to attend Mass.

[/quote]

It was already banned in “the West” in 1975. Check out that year’s Notitiae on dance in the liturgy.

Come on you folks - don’t you know the liturgy is supposed to reflect the culture?! What do you want? A solemn, authentic, orthodox presentation of the Mass? How dare you expect that! If only you would learn to think for yourselves and get out of the mindless, medieval Roman mindset. No doubt this was done with the best of intentions. So don’t complain.

OK which of the above phrases will Frommi quote back to us?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.