I want to come back to the Catholic Church but

I want to come back to the Catholic Church but I have a problem. A few weeks ago, I met this guy. I’ll call him Mike for privacy reasons. Well, we started having sex together and quite frankly, I think I have become addicted to it. :frowning: I don’t know what to do. I can always tell him that I don’t want to have sex anymore and I’m sure he’d respect that but I’m going to have a really hard time giving it up. So if you all could please pray for me, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Like every addiction, you need help to stop it. I found some websites for you:

saint-mike.org/csgsar/default.asp

ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=420571&Pg=Forum6&Pgnu=1&recnu=13

I will keep you in my prayers. I will make a Hour Hour tomorrow and will lift you up in prayer Holly. But the best way to stop having sex is to not put yourself in a situation where you will have sex, like being alone with your boyfriend in a room or even in the car, unless you are driving somewhere of course. If he doesn’t respect that, then he is not the right man for you. Always ask yourself what does God want from you. Go to confession and confess the sin, even if you keep falling into it, go again and again and hopefully someday with Jesus, you will conquer this.

I knew a man once who became a very good friend of mine. He use to love to talk about sex and I was a virgin. We were not romantically involved, even though I feel in love with him. I always prayed that he would be a priest even though I loved him. He struggled with not having sex. He would tell me things like he wished he could go out and get a girl and bring her home to have sex. He missed it so much after he had his conversion and decided not to break that commandment anymore. Well, he tried and was successful for so long until her met a girl who became his girlfriend and he fell. They eventually broke up and she became a Catholic as a result of their relationship and do you know what he is today. He is a priest. He is now been a priest for two years. It is possible with prayer, use of the sacraments, and perseverance to conquer this sin. Don’t give up trying.:thumbsup:

Wow! That’s an awesome story! And thank you for the links. :slight_smile:

Holly, the door is always open for you to come home. But you have to decide that coming home is what you truly want. Only you can make that decision, of your own free will that God gave you. And no matter how difficult it may be, it is not impossible for you to come back, and to change - if it were impossible you would not even be bothering to post to this forum.

We will be praying for you here, that you will come back across the threshold into the house of the Lord. He has missed you, and our church family has missed you. Our arms are extended to you, but you have to take the step, we are not going to grab you and yank you in against your will.

My sister grew up devout, but then fell away for ten years, fell very far away. We never forced her to do anything to come back, but we all prayed for her. And eventually, she came back and completely changed her life. She is so much happier now. You can be to. But again: you have to want it.

You have already taken that first step by getting up the courage to write on this forum. Will you stay away from God any longer when He is so anxious to embrace you again?:hug3:

Hi dret. Thank you for this post. I do want to come back to the Catholic Church and I do want to be happier. I know that I will be happier when I am following God. I am going to say an Act of Contrition right now and go to confession tomorrow if possible. :slight_smile:

That is wonderful. The point when you are breaking an addiction - I did - is to take each day as it comes. You are not perfect and you never will be. But remember the difference between St. Peter and Judas. They both sinned and betrayed Jesus. But St. Peter was convinced, even his dark despair, that Jesus loved him and would forgive him even though he was a sinner. Judas thought that he could never be forgiven and killed himself - which is the most tragic thing of all, because Jesus would have forgiven him too if he had picked himself up and asked to be forgiven.

So tonight, as you say, make a good act of contrition from the heart, and go to sleep and thank God for the blessing of your faith, which you never really lost - you just buried it.

Also, I would read the mass readings for today if I were you. They seem to be rather interesting in that they could have been selected for you personally today:

usccb.org/nab/091008.shtml

I would make a point tomorrow of going to however many local parishes you need to until you find a priest who can hear your confession. Don’t be afraid of the parish secretary either. Insist that you absolutely need to speak to a priest about having confession right away. No good priest is going to say no, although they may make you wait a bit.

God bless you and grant you a safe and peaceful night of rest, and the courage and grace to make a good confession tomorrow!

Thanks again dret. I will definitely try to get to confession tomorrow. :slight_smile:

***+JMJTJ+

You will be in my prayers for your strength and healing.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen***

Thank you Gail. :slight_smile:

Holly,
Maybe it might help to realize the choice you are making. You can have the temporary sexual pleasure you receive from Mike, or the love of Jesus. You can not have both. You are choosing. Jesus said whoever sins is a slave to sin. A slave does what his master commands. If you want freedom from slavery and to know mercy and the love of God, you will have to find a way to be free from what enslaves you, which appears to be the spirit of lust. By your own words you say you think you are addicted. That is what slavery is, addiction. Sex is a holy thing. It is designed by God to unite a couple in love and allow them to participate with Him in the creation of an immortal being. It is about the transmission of life. You might find help from Saint Maria Goretti a martyr for purity. It might also help to think about Mary’s words at Fatima. She said sexual sin is the single biggest cause of souls going to hell. I hope you find heaven.
Mary help of Christians, pray for us.

Thank you grandfather. I do realize that I cannot have both the temporary sexual pleasure and Jesus. I choose Jesus. After all, the sexual pleasure is temporary but Jesus and Heaven is eternal. :slight_smile:

You are in my prayers, Dear Lord, Please give this person the strength to overcome this addiction, please help her to go to confession and Mass. All bad habits will become addictions if you give in to them Loving Jesus and the sacraments will replace any addition if you will allow it Come home to Jesus

This is an attack from the evil one to keep you from returning. Be aware of who is the author of your ‘addiction’ and refuse to submit to his slavery any longer.

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Holly, you are in my prayer

Holly,
I am praying for you also. I think about you every day. I know how difficult a struggle you are having. You may fall, but don’t give up. Get up and resolve to keep trying and beg God for help. You can be healed and set free and have a wonderful marriage and fulfilling holy sex life in the grace of God.
Mary help of Christians, pray for us.

In my prayers also…

Well everyone, I slipped and fell a couple of times in the past few days. :frowning: I am not trying hard enough I guess. But don’t worry, I have a renewed commitment now to remain pure and I am going to keep up my strength in this endeavor.

I did not go to Mass today or yesterday (for the vigil) and today I even decided that I was just going to “be me” which meant doing whatever I want and not considering God’s will. Well, after a few hours, I realized just how empty this approach made me feel and decided that I would follow God and His Church. I also was going to go back to the Mormon church this morning but I chose against it because I was too tired and then later chose against the Mormon church.

Anyway, I think I am going to pray the rosary now. Please keep me in your prayers and thank you everyone for your continued prayers.

EDIT: I’ll pray the rosary later. My best friend just came online and I want to talk to him for now.

Wishing you the best! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.