I want to come back

Hi Everyone,
It has been over 2 years since I last posted.
I was wanting to be a Catholic years ago and I went to mass several times I really was excited about learning and going to church.
I got away from church and everything for a long time. My Dad became sick and I helped to take care of him. He passed away a year ago and now I’m taking care of my family plus my mother now. I went to a Baptist church for a while don’t get me wrong I enjoyed going but something has been missing.I’ve been pulled toward the Catholic religion ever since. I always think about it and even yearn to go back.
Well today I got up early and I got my son up and we went to Mass. It felt soooooooo great to be in the church. Its a feeling I haven’t had in many many years. I really believe in my heart that God wants me to go there. It was like returning home. I haven’t ever been but a handful of times. But it was the most wonderful feeling to go back today. Even my son truly enjoyed today.
My husband is behind me. He said to go if that is were Im suppose to go. But I have a problem. My Mother is Baptist and when she found out I went this morning she didn’t say a word but she gave me the eye and just staired at me with wide open eyes. She doesnt believe I should go there. and now that she is living with us. I feel like she will try to put a wet blanket on it. . I dont know how to handle her when I go Sunday morning. I have always highly respected her and my Dad.
Even though my husband is behind me I feel like I will have a hard time with him also. He is a good man but has one fault and that is drinking. It will be REAL hard to get him interested in it as I am.
School start next month on becoming a catholic and I really really want to go. with all my heart !!
But I must admit I’m so bad and lazy about getting up early in the mornings that I always wake up to late to go. When I go to bed the night before I always plan on getting up and going to church but then with day light breaks I just roll back over and go to sleep. That is my worst thing that has kept me out of church. Just being lazy about getting up. I know that is a poor excuse. But its the truth.
I’m so sorry about rambling on and on and just spilling everything I’m thinking. But I have no one to talk to about any of this.

When I was little I remember going to church and feeling good when I left but nothing like that since. When I do go to church and after it was over all i thought was ok we went to church now what. But when I went this morning that same feeling I had when I was a child. When I walked out of church it was like a ton had been lifted off my shoulders and I truly was happy. I have been happy to the point of being ecstatic. That all my son and I have talked about today. I haven’t snapped at him once today. I have had so much patience with him and we have really enjoyed just being with each other today. I just feel sooooo refreshed that I got to go this morning. and I yearn to go back as soon as I can. But Im so scared about how to handle my family. I’m just a stay at home mom and now since I take care of my mom. I feel like I still have to do what she says. Does any of this make sense?
Is there someone that might can give me some advise or understand where I’m coming from?
I think mostly I’m looking for a friend that understands.

I can certainly appreciate your situation. I will pray for you. Take courage and follow your conscience. God’s grace is with you.

God bless you! You really don’t have a dilemma… you just need to follow the Holy Spirit’s guidance. I’ll be praying for you!

Welcome Home!
you are on your way, no matter how long the journey takes. Yes we are commanded to honor father and mother, but the first commandment is to honor and obey God, so nothing can take precedence over our duty to him. Continue to attend Mass when you can. Talk to the priest and explain your dilemma and get his guidance and suggestions. You can study on-line here, and ask questions. Continue above all to read your bible as you have already been doing, especially the gospels.

as a survivor of an alcoholic family, I can attest that Al-Anon has helped us immensely.

the speediest simplest way to navigate these difficulties, since you say you need a friend who understands, is with the help of the best friend of all, Mary, who will help you understand and accept things about Christ and His Church, and herself. Get a rosary and start praying, beginning with the Our Father and a scriptural rosary until you learn and feel comfortable with the prayers. It is an extended guided meditation on the Gospels, particularly Luke.

Matthew 10:37-38

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
angelfire.com/ca3/rafaelmarie/ThePieta/athepieta.html

Do not let yourself, anyone outside the Church, or anyone inside the Church prevent you from seeking God. I will pray for you that God strengthens and guides you to Himself. Peace!

Praying for you, Bren.

Hey.

I’ve been pulled toward the Catholic religion ever since. I always think about it and even yearn to go back.

Let that be your motivation rather than feeling an obligation to attend Mass. It makes getting up easier.:slight_smile:

But I have a problem.

When it becomes habit for you it’s no longer a problem for them generally, and I’d bet you’d be surprised at how these actions of yours influence others.

It will be REAL hard to get him interested in it as I am.

I’m not sure I’d try overtly. Offer an open invitation to him and your mother, but if you can make it a part of your life-all the better.

School start next month on becoming a catholic and I really really want to go. with all my heart !!

I envy you in some ways…as an adult to go through it…along with your son. I hope you decide to try.

But its the truth.

It gets easier. Maybe try Saturday Mass at first.

But I have no one to talk to about any of this.

What are we…chopped liver? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just a stay at home mom and now since I take care of my mom.

Just??? There should be a statue for stay-at-home-parents who rasie their children themselves. Congrats. Kudos to you and your husband for looking after your parents now, as well.

I feel like I still have to do what she says. Does any of this make sense?

I suppose I can’t really relate to that as I have always been the independent person my parents rasied us to be. They are now fallen away Catholics themsleves, but raised us all (5 kids) in the Church-thankfully! In fact I called my mom the other week and said thanks for having made that wise choice as it has born fruit in my return to the Church. My siblings are another story.

Get even with her :wink: …drag her to Chruch with you like she did with you when you were young.

John 21:18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

Good luck.

If God is calling you “home” to the Roman Catholic Church then follow that call. Be respectful of your mother but you must go where Christ is calling you. It is your life and your faith in Christ Jesus…follow it.

If you enjoy Baptist church then search for an active Roman Catholic Parish so you do not get tempted to wander back to the Baptist because you miss substance and Christian life. There are many RC parishes where people plunk themsleves in a pew for 50 minutes and that is it for the week. You will feel unfullfilled (I know). BUT there are active Catholic Churches with wonderful youth groups, many masses (from traditional to youth oriented music), and adult bible studies every week. There you will be fed by the liturgy, fed by the Word of God, and your children engaged. That will make the transition easier for all.

Good luck in journey and follow the leading you feel from the Holy Spirit.

Rev North

You are in my prayers!

Bren,

Are you (and your family) catholic already? If not then you (and your family) should abstain from receiving Holy Communion until you (and your family) are brought into the Church. If you are already catholics - you still have to abstain until you make a confession for having missed Mass, etc.

Besides that welcome home.

Also I would like to add that if you don’t wish to get up early to go to Mass you could investigate your local parish Mass times. I know that Sunday Mass is at 6:00 pm at my local parish - and if you like you can also go to the Saturday Night Vigil Mass, which will fulfill your Sunday Obligation.

Last though - I would like to add that you might find daily mass edifying. You don’t have to go everyday - but if you want to go a few times during the week (e.g. Wednesday) you can. :wink:

Catholig

Many times the right decision also seems to be the most difficult. Just ask Abraham. Please have the confidence that the Holy Spirit will provide the peace needed by all involved. We will be praying.

Peace,
+N

No Im not catholic yet. But I want to be. The class start next month and I really want to go to them and my son also wants to go.
I don’t believe I will have trouble with my mom. Shes just southern baptist and really doesn’t understand only what she has heard.
I know the devil will put obstacles in my way but I truly believe I’m meant to be catholic. Its odd though cause I don’t know one person in my area that is Catholic. I just know there is more to living for God than what I have experienced so far
I have a lot of old fashion beliefs by todays terms. But I believe that the man is the head of the household and I believe if a lot of more people would follow the rules that God set for us we all would be a lot better off.

Bren,
i too have been in a similar experience, my mother is Catholic/Spiritualist, my dad is Baptist. Life here has been a battle, he is stronger that us (both physically and verbally), and often tells us (me) that we are going to hell because we are Catholic. i wanted to be a nun since i was a young’un, he forbade it “no daughter of mine, will be a Catholic nun”. He would bring the members of his church to (his) house and they would try very hard to convert me to their religion (one more for their score cards). i collect rosary beads, they are displayed beautifully, boy, that would put a bur under their saddles.

i too have to take care of both my parents, he had an accident and is brain damaged, she just decided to stop working, then got cancer. i was under the impression that it was my duty to stop my life and quit school to take care my dad. i stopped dating and stopped going to church, to get him off my back. i just could not get rid of the rosaries. They have always treated me horribly, but i was “suppose to” too care of the OBEY them, live eat and breath them. i thought (still think) that his god is a different god then mine, how could you act that way (private matters) and say it is for God? My God, oh, he is so different. i see him in the little things, he places peace in me… (will leave for another time)

i went to a funeral of a friend a year ago and a priest was giving the service. i saw such fire of the Lord in him, his face seemed to glow. i had to find out what church he belong to, after a battle, i have started back home (church) and have not backed down.
i found this quote from a book i am reading,

“Think not I come imposing peace to earth. I come bringing not peace but a sword. I bring conflict to a man and his father, a daughter and her mother, a wife and her mother-in-law. A man’s foes will be found in his own home. One who loves his father or mother before me does not deserve me. One who loves son or daughter before me does not deserve me. And anyone who does not take up a cross and tread in my footsteps does not deserve me. The man protective of his life will lose it, but the one casting life away on my account will preserve it”. (Mt 10.34-39)

With God’s help, i will leave his house and maybe start a life, perhaps date again, perhaps marry one day. i always thought that this was just the way things were, my duty. Now my eyes are opened.

i understand you, go home (Church) it makes you happy, worry not about everyone else. Go, go back home.

Chyna

i understand where your coming from. i have a few simple solutions for you. one, when it comes to getting up for Mass, make sure you have an alarm clock and start praying right away, Jesus, I trust in You! make a habit of saying that, and associate it with the alarm clock and being ready for Mass. get up an hour and a half early so you have time to prepare and time to pray and fast the hour before Mass.

secondly, your mom is living in your home, and as such, she has to respect your right to live the way you see fit, and she has to accept the fact while she is under your roof that you are going to the Catholic Church. there is no need for discussion either. if she starts to protest, simply take her aside in the gentle charitable Christian way and explain to her that this is what you believe, and it is not going to change.

you cannot give in to family. if they are not comfortable with you going to Mass, then they have to speak with you about it. always have a demeanor of pleasantness.

as for your hubby, well, don’t start preaching to him. if he wants to become a Catholic, he will do so. it is hard to curb your excitement believe me, i know. the scriptures say that they can be won over without a word. that means by your example, others may follow.

now, you need to plan on going to Mass. if you truly want to be there, you will be there no matter what. consider the alarm clock, and teaching yourself to pray. set aside an hour a day for prayer.
even if your busy house cleaning, you can still pray inwardly.

Bren…
Welcome home!! Your on your way! I’m a convert to the Catholic church and if you just follow your heart the Holy Spirit will guide you.
Try to be patient with your family I’m sure they are just concerned about you. Keep in touch with the wonderful people here at C/A and also with the people at your parish. Most important LISTEN when you pray and God will guide you…

Thank you so much TraditionalCath That is the best idea . I will certainly do it. I went to bed Saturday night and I set the clock for 715 am I wanted to have time to get myself and my son ready. I don’t know what happened. I woke at 1015. I checked the clock and it was cut off. I asked my husband and he said he didnt touch it. I feel so lazy cause I didn’t go. I doubled check the clock and I felt so bad when I seen what time it was. But he has promised me he didn’t touch it. I don’t know what happened to it.
But that is a great idea you have.
There are several question Id love to ask about the Catholic faith would you mind seeing if you can answer them or send me in the right direction.

1. Do I have to wait until Im fully a Catholic before I can confess my sins to the preist?
    2, Since I was raised Baptist I have been to many a revival. Do Catholics have revival’s like the baptist do? Ive never heard of them going out to get people do go to their Church like the Baptist do. Is there a reason why?

Chyna,
I feel for you so much. I will keep you and your family in my prayers too Hun. My dad was the same as yours He was both physical but more verbal than anything. The verbal hurts just as bad as the physical does. I always thought my sister would help me with my parents when the time came. But she passed away 4 years ago in a house fire. Her and my nephew. At times I miss her terribly.
When I was young too. I wanted to be a Nunn.
I hope that you find what your searching for. My Dad passed away in March from Altizmers and my mom is 79 years old. I respect her with all my heart but she just worries a lot. She isn’t stopping me from going to church. So far she hasn’t said nothing just the silent treatment and the look. But that doesn’t bother me.

I know that prayer works. May I send out a request please. I ask this with all my heart. Please pray for my husband to stop drinking. We have been married for 24 years. and I know no matter what I say or do he isn’t going to stop just for me. Its a daily thing. I really hate to say anything about it and I’m not talking bad about him cause he is a wonderful man. He is just killing himself slowly and doesn’t see it. And I know it effects my son. To see his dad drunk 24/7. Please help me to pray for him.

You all don’t know how much it has helped me to talk with you all. I really do appreciate you listening. and helping me.

I’ll echo that you should speak at length with a priest about your entire situation.

But I’ll add that since, as you mention, nobody around you is Catholic, God’s grace is shining, I think, quite clearly on you: what a beautiful witness you give to us who may have had an easier path to the RCC.

I’ll pray for you and for your family.

God bless.

Bren,

Thank you for the prayers for me…

“I know that prayer works. May I send out a request please. I ask this with all my heart. Please pray for my husband to stop drinking. We have been married for 24 years. and I know no matter what I say or do he isn’t going to stop just for me. Its a daily thing. I really hate to say anything about it and I’m not talking bad about him cause he is a wonderful man. He is just killing himself slowly and doesn’t see it. And I know it effects my son. To see his dad drunk 24/7. Please help me to pray for him”.

May i place you in the prayer intention? i will be tactful. If you need to, you may PM me anytime.

Always your friend,
Chyna

Maybe your desire for sleep is really a desire to be alone with God? So that is understandable. Maybe you have a need to be 'alone" with him, rather than in Church with other people?? I know i am projecting here… but, just a thought…

I’m just a stay at home mom .

JUST a stay at home mom??? :rolleyes:

I’m sure you know this, but being a mother is the most important job in the world; you are especially fortunate if you can stay at home with your child. i know children can be “difficult”… but one really good thing about being around young children is that you get to be young again yourself… . :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.