" I want to debate any Catholic"

Dan Corner is itching to debate any Catholic on the subject of Mary in salvation.

evangelicaloutreach.org/catholic.htm

[quote=Sirach14]Dan Corner is itching to debate any Catholic on the subject of Mary in salvation.

[/quote]

It will be interesting to see what answers he gets.

Er…BTW…who is Dan Corner ? :slight_smile: ##

I kinda liked that site. Of course he’s wrong, but it seems like his motives were genuine and good. If there was any angry ranting, hateful anti-Catholic stuff that usually accompanies such a message, then I missed it.

Gottle of Geer, what’s up with the pound signs?

If you even think about it, don’t forget to read this

A few quotes from his site…

[size=2]*The Passion of the Christ *[/size]also clearly went beyond Scripture by showing the event known among Catholics as Veronica’s veil. This is allegedly where a woman named Veronica offered her veil to bloody Jesus to wipe himself. There is not a hint of this in the Bible.

Yesiree, Bob. Everything that happened in the life of Jesus was recorded in the Bible. No doubt about that.

John 21:25
There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.

Something else from his site:

It would have been better to use actual bible verses continually rather than adding imagined dialogues and events. The Biblical record is final authority in all church issues for Christians (2 Tim. 3:16,17) and one can *never *go wrong with believing and acting upon only its holy message.

Ummm…pardon me, but does 2nd Timothy actually say that?

2 Tim 3:16-17
All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Nope, nothing here about the Bible being the final authority in all church issues. In fact, I think if one looks at Matthew, one may have some insight as to where we’re to go for the final authority.

Matthew 18:15-17
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother. If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that ‘every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

No doubt, he is a man who loves Jesus. I only pray that his work does not lead people astray from the true Jesus.

Eric

[quote=Adam D]I kinda liked that site. Of course he’s wrong, but it seems like his motives were genuine and good. If there was any angry ranting, hateful anti-Catholic stuff that usually accompanies such a message, then I missed it.

Gottle of Geer, what’s up with the pound signs?
[/quote]

<----- These ? They aren’t pound signs - this is —> £

I use pairs of the ## for framing what I write so it won’t be confused with what other people write ##

They ain’t pound signs?

The poster will win his argument as the RC’s view of the Mary as being false since he is setting up a false dichotomy that everything about Mary is recorded in scripture explicitly. No catholic believes that but protestanst beleive their doctrines must all pass this test. Of course many of their own doctrines won’t be able to pass this test but they don’t see that. Who says a Chistian marriage has to be presided by a Pastor ? Well the Bible doesn’t say that but many churches practice this as it is a tradition handed down as is the wedding ring. None of this stuff is in the Bible but Bible alone chistians are practicing err traditions not founded in the Bible heck even Jesus own chastity and virginity is not explcit in the Bible we just assume that becuase the catholic church has always taught that most protestants hold to that catholic tradition that we handed down to them and they just accept it as a fact but it is a fact based on catholic tradition an nowhere else.

[quote=Sirach14]Dan Corner is itching to debate any Catholic on the subject of Mary in salvation.

[/quote]

Just another insult to women in general, women are important in the work of God, without many women cooperating in the plan of God then where would creation be.
What an insult to Jesus, because an insult to Mary is insulting to Jesus.
Would we not defend our own earthly mothers if someone verbally attacked her ?
Jesus is insulted when we say evil things about His mother, Mary played the most important part any woman ever played.
By saying yes to God Mary give to us a Saviour, and opened the gates of Heaven, if that is looked on as being no big deal, then God help us.

And Mother Teresa was a counterfeit Christian???

[/quote]

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## <----- These ? They aren’t pound signs - this is —> £

[/quote]

Well, we know where you are coming from. We don’t even have this dewhicky £ (had to copy paste that one) on our keyboards here on this side of the pond. :smiley:

What is the debate about exactly?Does he want to debate that Mary, did or did not have free will? She did and could have said no! Where would that leave us? In Genesis when God said to the devil that there would be emnity between he and The Woman, between her seed and his seed, what exactly is there to debate about? The poster is putting I think a human mentality on Gods ways,as if God just used her and thought of her as an insignificant vessel. If the poster believes that Jesus is God, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, than he has to believe that Jesus who is true God and true man had a mother. Chosen by God and as Our Blessed Mother said" Be it done to me according to thy word". She cooperated in the plan of our redemption. Before the debate ask yourself,"what if Mary had said NO?"God Bless

[quote=enanneman]A few quotes from his site…Yesiree, Bob. Everything that happened in the life of Jesus was recorded in the Bible. No doubt about that.Something else from his site:Ummm…pardon me, but does 2nd Timothy actually say that?Nope, nothing here about the Bible being the final authority in all church issues. In fact, I think if one looks at Matthew, one may have some insight as to where we’re to go for the final authority.No doubt, he is a man who loves Jesus. I only pray that his work does not lead people astray from the true Jesus.

Eric
[/quote]

Not to throw a hitch in your “gitalong” but, how can one truely love Jesus if he/she ignores or mutates the Gospel into something more tolerable for his/her ego?

[quote=Apologia100]Not to throw a hitch in your “gitalong” but, how can one truely love Jesus if he/she ignores or mutates the Gospel into something more tolerable for his/her ego?
[/quote]

Absolutely. Please excuse my ire.

Peace and God bless! :slight_smile:

Eric

[quote=enanneman]Absolutely. Please excuse my ire.

Peace and God bless! :slight_smile:

Eric
[/quote]

Sometimes ire is a good thing ;), Look at Jesus cleansing the temple. He didn’t ask people to leave, he made a whip out of chords and he THREW them out. Righteous anger is perfectly well within the purview of a good Christian.

[quote=Adam D]They ain’t pound signs?
[/quote]

TY for the Link :slight_smile:

A pound in money is indicated by this - £
A pound by weight or by volume is indicated by this - lb.

£ is an abbrevation for libra

lb., is also an abbrevation for libra

I have never seen # used for pound, of any measure: dry, liquid, monetary, or other. It must be a USA convention. ##

[quote=e-catholic]Well, we know where you are coming from. We don’t even have this dewhicky £ (had to copy paste that one) on our keyboards here on this side of the pond. :smiley:
[/quote]

LOL - Do you have Euro signs ? This keyboard has it on the same key as for the $ and the 4 :smiley:

In the US, “pound” as a unit of measure is abbreviated as “lb”

is called the “pound sign” but I don’t think it has anything to do with units of measure. I don’t know where it originated, but it’s really only called “pound sign” on telephone keypads. In writing, it’s a symbol that’s read as “number” such as “You need to multiply the price by the #of items” . Perhaps the recorders of voice mail systems find it awkward to say “If you need to hear this message again, press the number sign” or whatever. The key with the asterisk is called the “star” sign, and the # is called pount. Don’t really know why, though.

[quote=katybird]In the US, “pound” as a unit of measure is abbreviated as “lb”

is called the “pound sign” but I don’t think it has anything to do with units of measure. I don’t know where it originated, but it’s really only called “pound sign” on telephone keypads. In writing, it’s a symbol that’s read as “number” such as “You need to multiply the price by the #of items” . Perhaps the recorders of voice mail systems find it awkward to say “If you need to hear this message again, press the number sign” or whatever. The key with the asterisk is called the “star” sign, and the # is called pount. Don’t really know why, though.

[/quote]

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/WhoaMan.gif

Who am I to argue !

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.