I want to know about christianity

hi.
I am muslim. I want to know about christianity.I am going to
be familiar with christian teahings.
first, the theology of it.please help me.

Your best bet is to read the Catholic Catechism. Here’s a link to the Catechism in English: Catechism

You could also look up the Nicene creed, which contains a very brief summary of the key beliefs of Christianity.

The short version is this. God created mankind (Adam and Eve) in a state of natural perfection, but they rejected Him. This was the Fall, and it brought sin and death into the world. To save us from the effects of the Fall, God first prepared a people (the Jews), who learned something of His nature (one God, not many) and His name, and His plan to send an anointed one, a Messiah, to save His people.

In the fullness of time God sent this Messiah, which turned out to be God Himself, become fully man while fully God. God thus chose to become united with all of His creation in order to redeem all of His creation. This man who was God incarnate was Jesus the Christ (the anointed), who was born in a poor stable in a manger (feed trough) in the town of Bethelem (House of Bread). Jesus revealed that He is the Word of God, the second Person of the Trinity, three divine Persons in one God. He revealed how mankind (not just the Jews, but all people) would be saved, and what they must do to receive this salvation. He brought salvation to the world by allowing Himself to be tortured and killed upon the cross (the death of a criminal). After three days He arose from the dead and taught His disciples another 40 days before He ascended into heaven.

Jesus also founded His Church upon the earth , which is both His Body (the means by which He acts on the earth) and His Bride. This Church was first led by Peter, the Bishop of Rome, and is now led by is successors. He also gave us a means to partake of the saving grace of His sacrifice by giving us the Eucharist, His very own body, blood, soul and divinity, made present every day, throughout the world, in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

While God had revealed to the Jews His name and identity (“I Am Who Am”), Jesus revealed the triune nature of God, the fact that God is Love, and our relationship with God, which is that we are to be the “adopted” children of God, and that God is our loving Father, and that our destiny, if we accept His gift of salvation, is to spend eternity in perfect joy with God, partaking of the very nature of God (we abiding in Him, and He abiding in us).

Well, that’s about as short as I can make it. I don’t think I’ve told any heresies in this telling. If I’ve left anything important out, I’m sure others will catch my omissions – hey, it’s early in the morning. :slight_smile:

[quote=secondboy]hi.
[/quote]

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, creator of Heaven and earth, of all things seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of the Father.
Eternally begotten of the Father:
God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God.
Begotten, not made! ONE IN BEING WITH THE FATHER.
Through Him all things were made.
For us men and our salvation, he came down from Heaven.
By the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the virgin Mary and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontious Pilate (as recompense to God for the forgiveness of the sins of the entire world, for all time)
He suffered, died and was buried - and on the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures (Old Testament)
He ascended into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again, in Glory, to judge the living and the dead and His Kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and Son he is worshiped and glorified: He has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.

What are the rules?

Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love one another.

Phil

Oi. Do not START with the Catechism or the Creed. They are so deeply embedded in our Tradition that you will find them incomprehensible.

*The Descent of the Dove, *by Charles Williams, gives a sound overview of the early formation of Christian doctrine. Another excellent introduction is C. S. Lewis’ book Mere Christianity.

You are wise to look to Christian sources for views on Christianity.

Peace to you, my brother.

I also recommend the book Theology For Beginners by Frank Sheed.

THANK YOU.
i will read your answers an if a question will ask. please continue…

SecondBoy:

Greetings and Welcome!!!

The good news is, there’s a bottomless amount of information about Christianity especially Catholicism. From the outset, understand that there’s different categories of thought that leads many people to the CC. Historical, theological, mystical, biblical, cultural are some of the major areas in which you’ll be approaching this.

Start with this website and all the documents that is available. I think the Catechism would be next. And then Theology for Beginners and Theology and Sanity both by Frank Sheed. From hence I think you can safely have a general idea of Catholicism and you can start digging into other branches.

Lastly but more importantly PRAYER. God will grant you the graces to understand his will and hopefully you will be given vision to see that Christ is the sum and total of all that is beautiful, noble and true.

We are here to support and assist where we can. So ask us as many questions as you wish.

in XT.

First, number one…pray. Pray to God for guidance in truth and the search for truth. Prayer is not preperation for the battle, prayer is the battle.

I would have to agree that Mere Christianity by CS Lewis is a great place to START.
And it seems alot are overlooking something else…the NEW TESTAMENT. This is God’s sacred word, another decent place to start :smiley:

JC

SecondBoy,

Greetings and welcome to our Forums. The suggested books are all excellent recommendations. Let me also suggest that you read the New Testament scriptures of a Catholic bible. This will give you the very words of Jesus found in the gospels and how they were understood by the apostles.

You are in for an interesting tour of Christianity. Although Islam, Judaism, and Christianity differ from one another they have some things in common. Approach everything with honest curiousity and an open heart. This will spark your interest and your learning curve will be shorter. This having been said…please keep in mind that the richness and depth of Catholic Christian teaching is like the ocean. You will never completely know it until arriving in the next life.

Hang around these forums and enter discussions and ask questions. You’ve come to a great place to learn.

Praise God

[quote=mercygate]Oi. Do not START with the Catechism or the Creed. They are so deeply embedded in our Tradition that you will find them incomprehensible.

[/quote]

I’m willing to concede that this might be true, but what is the concensus? Is the Catechism really incomprehensible to a Muslim or other non-Christian?

[quote=VociMike]I’m willing to concede that this might be true, but what is the concensus? Is the Catechism really incomprehensible to a Muslim or other non-Christian?
[/quote]

The *Catechism *is incomprehensile to many Catholics. It is clear as gin to us but to someone just dipping his toe in the water it can be daunting.

Words like homoousion, dropped with little to no explanation can be off-putting.

[quote=southernCONVERT]First, number one…pray. Pray to God for guidance in truth and the search for truth. Prayer is not preperation for the battle, prayer is the battle.

I would have to agree that Mere Christianity by CS Lewis is a great place to START.
And it seems alot are overlooking something else…the NEW TESTAMENT. This is God’s sacred word, another decent place to start :smiley:

JC
[/quote]

As someone who is trying to get to a conversion point, here, the NEW TESTAMENT isn’t all you need.

[quote=my agatha]As someone who is trying to get to a conversion point, here, the NEW TESTAMENT isn’t all you need.
[/quote]

But it’s a good place to start - then go back to the Old Testament to see the prophesies fulfilled in the NT.

[quote=secondboy]hi.
[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, Muslims believe, as do Catholics, that the Virgin Mary conceived Jesus through an act of God, and that Jesus did not have a human father.

This is a good place to start in understanding Christianity. Jesus, who was “conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost”, and thus had no human father, was actually God incarnate. God himself took on a human nature in order to satisfy the justice of God, which had been offended by the sins of man.

Since a sin against an infinite God could not be satisfied by an act of a mere man, God himself took on our nature and made satisfaction for us, through his own sacrifice.

That is the basic teaching of Christianity. Other beautiful doctrines flow from that teaching, but that is it in a nutshell.

secondboy, if I may make a suggestion,

Why don’t you post questions you have on this thread (or perhaps open a new thread) and then some people can answer it. Because it sort of difficult to give a comprehensive summary of belief.

[quote=USMC]If I am not mistaken, Muslims believe, as do Catholics, that the Virgin Mary conceived Jesus through an act of God, and that Jesus did not have a human father.

[/quote]

Yes, but they differ in what is the act was. In Islam, God created Jesus out if nothing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.