I want to know more about St Joseph

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

a while ago, a friend of mine recommended a prayer to St Joseph… and I think one time, my priest gave me the Litany of St Joseph for my penance. Ever since then, I’ve been coming across this Saint… I have a bookmark with a prayer to him that’s really nice.

But to be honest I’ve never thought very much about St Joseph, his life, or his importance in the Church. I suppose he must be important, considering his relationship with Jesus and Mary!!

does anyone have any meditations or anything to help learn more about St Joseph?

what are some things you can ask him to pray for you about? (what is he the patron of…)

if you have a strong devotion to St Joseph, can you share a bit about that, if that’s alright?

St. Joseph is awesome! (He has a great name, too! ;))

My favorite book about St. Joseph is The Life of St. Joseph by Maria Cecilia Baij. The book falls in the realm of private revelation, which means that we can’t go around saying that all Catholics must believe that this is 100% historically accurate. With that disclaimer aside, it’s a wonderful devotional book that takes you through the whole life of St. Joseph from his birth and childhood through his death with Mary and Jesus at his side. I found it to be quite beautiful and enriching. There’s so little we know about the life of St. Joseph, so this book is really a treasure.

St. Joseph is patron saint of a lot of things. He is the patron saint of carpenters (naturally) and all workers (there is a separate feast day for St. Joseph the Worker on May 1st, apart from his regular feast day on March 19th). He is also the patron saint of a happy death. We know he died before the start of Jesus’ public ministry. Therefore, we know he died with Mary and Jesus by his side. What a way to go! That is why we pray to him that we might die similarly with Mary and Jesus by our side.

Pope John Paul II wrote a wonderful document on St. Joseph as well, Redemptoris Custos (“Guardian of the Redeemer”). In this document, you can read all about the role of St. Joseph in the Church. Great stuff!

I highly recommend the book amazon.com/Joseph-Silent-Michel-Gasnier/dp/0906138493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250284923&sr=1-1 Joseph the Silent by Michel Gasnier.

Thanks! I want to read John Paul II's letter right now!

Venerable Ann Catherine Emmerich's book "The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary" talks about St. Joseph, too, not quite as much as about Mary, but enough information there for you to know about him, I think.

[quote="4EverHis, post:1, topic:165380"]
Hi

does anyone have any meditations or anything to help learn more about St Joseph?

what are some things you can ask him to pray for you about? (what is he the patron of..)

if you have a strong devotion to St Joseph, can you share a bit about that, if that's alright?

[/quote]

we had a great video for our Lenten series, from Ignatius Press, on Joseph, the Man Closest to Christ.

Brother Andre, soon to be canonized I believe, had a deep devotion to St. Joseph, and the story of his life is a testimony to that devotion. He has always been one of my personal patrons and I think the saint needed most in the Church today because strong men make a strong church.

Interesting ... this morning St. Joseph came up in my Friday morning bible study. One point we got to -- imagine the humility of this man. He lived in a house with the Immaculate Conception and the Christ.

Just think about how humbling that must have been. I think that would be a great thought to meditate on.

Even though Mary was perfect, she could not teach Jesus how to be a man. Christ needed a true father-figure in His life while he was growing up.

Think about a young girl who is pregnant out of wedlock. The townspeople think she has committed a horrible sin and are about to stone her. A man steps in and protects her.

Sound familar? While Jesus stood up for Mary Magdeline like this, Joseph stood up for Mary. When she was pregnant and not married, people would have stoned her. Joseph took her into His home. Jesus probably followed Joseph's example.

Not much is known about Joseph. But you can see his influence in Christ's life. And you should pray to him, knowing that he is right by His side.

-Jeanne

[quote="4EverHis, post:1, topic:165380"]
Hi everyone :)

a while ago, a friend of mine recommended a prayer to St Joseph... and I think one time, my priest gave me the Litany of St Joseph for my penance. Ever since then, I've been coming across this Saint... I have a bookmark with a prayer to him that's really nice.

But to be honest I've never thought very much about St Joseph, his life, or his importance in the Church. I suppose he must be important, considering his relationship with Jesus and Mary!!

what are some things you can ask him to pray for you about? (what is he the patron of..)

if you have a strong devotion to St Joseph, can you share a bit about that, if that's alright?

[/quote]

Dear Monica

You might find this old thread of mine useful. I now think he was formerly married before and his wife died though. Check it out- it was a lengthy debate. You'll see a quote from a Pope about the possibility he was also an immaculate conception too. He is a universal patron of the church and I think he deserves the title Father of God. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=370913

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::)

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.