I want to know more about Theology and Catholic Apolegetics

Hello once again and God be with you and yours

I haven’t been on this site in a long while but i figured this would be the best place since it relates to the title of the thread. I don’t wish to spew around my age here (like i always do whenever i make a thread for personal reasons) But i am 20 years old and wish to embrace my Catholic faith in such a way that a great number of Catholics don’t these days (Theology and Apologetic). I always see Non-Catholics and Christians have such a misconstrued and misinformed view of the Church and some of it’s teachings and the Bible that it makes me bite of my tongue and scream into my pillow frustration:nerd: either because i forgot what i learned/ forgot how to word what i learned about the topic they are misinforming or i just turn into a stubborn and close minded meanie that would just take pleasure in just calling them fools and be off my way :o:rolleyes: Now i am fairly educated in the Catholic faith and try to practice it to the very best of my ability, my patron saint when i a confirmed a few years back was the one and only St. Thomas Aquinas.
Anyone here please recommend me good books about Theology, and Catholic and Scriptural Apologetics. I will greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

Good question, watching this thread with interest…

Web based…
The Bible Christian Society Audio Downloads (Great Stuff. It’s all free. You can bypass the donations and e-mail address. But after you listen to these you’ll probably want to donate something.) LISTEN TO THESE OVER AND OVER AGAIN! They are inspiring, have tons of great references to Catholic Supporting scripture and will teach you how to evangelize to non Catholics without spitting and screaming!

Catholic Answers magazine. Tons of on-line articles about apologetics

Catholic Biblical Apologetics. Very comprehensive site.

A new site with references to the USCCB Bible footnotes and citations to the Catechism on the Vatican web site. Also a downloadable handy pocket reference sheet and a quick reference mobile device friendly page

There is just no end to the resources available. Posting here was a good start!

Besides book learning …which is always important.

In my humble opinion, Theology follows logically from basic Catholic Doctrines. The “apologetic” teachings in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, also follow logically from Catholic doctrines. Thus, there is a mutual frame which could be helpful.

Man, you are gonna get buried in good sources and I intend to do my part!

Here’s a series of links to things that I have found helpful.
shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/protestants-dilemma.jpg The Protestant’s Dilemma

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/a/handbook-of-catholic-apologetics.jpg
Handbook Of Catholic Apologetics

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/how-not-to-share-your-faith.jpg
How NOT To Share Your Faith: The Seven Deadly Sins Of Apologetics And Evangelization

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/beginapol_bundle.jpg Beginning Apologetics Super Set

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/n/end-of-the-world.jpg
What Jesus Really Said About The End Of The World

[           http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SjtYSzClL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SL135_.jpg]("http://www.amazon.com/dp/0879736933/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FAKRP3LA38JI&coliid=I3J2VKLYRHROJF")                

**Where is That in the Bible?

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/catechism-pocket-edition.jpg
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Pocket Edition

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/catechism-compendium.jpg
Compendium To The Catechism Of The Catholic Church

[         The New Testament (Challoner-Rheims)]("http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0933932774/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1") Awesome Confraternity translation in a great pocket size as recommended by Pope Francis. (Besides it will freak n-Cs out to have a Catholic whip out a New Testament in discussion with them.)

Other sources next post.

Okay…good site links

[LIST=1]
*] RSV
*] NAB
*] DRB
*] Bible Christian Society
*] Top Ten Questions Catholics are Asked
*] Catholic Answers: Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth
*] Catholic Tracts from Grotto Press
*] Where we got the bible
*] Winning New Converts
*] Catholic Society of Evangelists
*] A Biblical Walk Through the Mass
*] Catholic Home Study Service
*] Searchable Catechism of the Catholic Church
*] USCCB - Catechism of the Catholic Church
*] The Baltimore Catechism THE REASON FOR OUR HOPE FOUNDATION
*] Catholics Come Home
*] The Holy See - Archive - Documents of the II Vatican Council
*] Then…there’s my own…:shrug: Apocalypsis
[/LIST]
God bless you and go get 'em brother!

To add to the Op’s great initial question: are there any formal qualifications that one could achieve in order to advance within the Church in the field of Apologetics? If so, what course does one study (as well as self-learning)?

Seminary… :stuck_out_tongue:

:slight_smile:

I am disappointed in you CM. Have you forgotten Theology for Beginners by F.J. Sheed?

bks6.books.google.com/books?id=WD3ZAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE73_T184A42xRWIoFTefZ_hKwSidUlZXK8YnoDnT_-VCRXXvYsm4hF24X2MzQhDfvwJqivV02C3K5_ItoEIPi0gTGmHwo7oZ1WYUFXsuelbKGbuUCKU8xVNUsA7fIWxT4JlZhq4H

-Tim-

Nice! :blush:

Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine by Archbishop Michael Sheehan.

It’s quite old now (and therefore free to download) but there’s an updated version by Baronius Press. I’ve never come across anything remotely as comprehensive as this, rather large, book.

Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed
The One-Minute Apologist by Dave Armstrong
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.