I want to move out

There is an Asperger’s Association near where I live but I haven’t really found them to be too helpful. Plus, they had small events talking about sexuality and having Asperger’s and they were condoning homosexuality. So honestly I didn’t really want to have much to do with them anymore after that.

You know what. I would honestly like to teach catechism classes but I don’t know if I could do it.

John,

I think you’re looking for someone to mentor you and help you with future job options. It is a lot to sort out, and it’s often hard to be given advice by those who are not intimate with AS. I’m not sure what state you’re in, but there are many private foundations that help with transitions from college to independent living. People who have that information are psychologists familiar with AS, college special Ed departments, your state’s department of health, and Autism Speaks.

Temple Gradin is a great success story. Unfortunately, AS and autism spectrum disorders are so unique to the individual. As the saying goes, if you’ve met one person on the spectrum, then you’ve met one person on the spectrum. I’m sure you heard all this, but I wanted you to know that I understand your frustration. However, there are resources out there to help you. It’s a matter of detective work, but don’t give up.

Lots of detective work it is, yep. I want to talk to some of the catechism teachers and ask them what they do. I don’t know if I’ll try to teach myself, but maybe I could help them somehow indirectly. I know a lot of Catholic teaching pretty well, and I am hardline orthodox. I have to work on my orthopraxy though.

Wanted to give the OP some encouragement. It is very rare in any profession to find someone who can just start a job and be able to do it right away, even if trained in that profession. There usually is always some time to get used to operations and how they do things. Try to work on adapting and quickly fixing problems as they arise…this may be tough giving the situation you describe, but quite possible. Don’t be too hard on yourself and bounce back quickly. Samson.

It would do you well to work on being very hardline. No one, including your pastor, is going to want you to tell your students that their parents are going to Hell. Not that you would do it, but you have to be very careful about how you approach ideas.

Most parishes have a need for teachers. You don’t have to talk to the priest about it. Most likely the parish will have a Director of Religious Ed or a Religious Ed Coordinator or someone that runs the CCD/CCF program. Talk to them.

I’ve never told anyone they are going to Hell.

But I just want to help the catechism programs. I’ll have to get the bulletin and call the religious ed director. It will be at least worth it to introduce myself.

You may be “hardline orthodox” and that’s fine. Nothing wrong with that. However, that alone doesn’t make you worthy to teach. You need to be able to convey that to the students.

There is NOTHING worse than a bad teacher. In particular one who is religious. No, I’m not saying you’d be one, but be careful.

[quote="Rascalking, post:28, topic:253464"]
You may be "hardline orthodox" and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. However, that alone doesn't make you worthy to teach. You need to be able to convey that to the students.

There is NOTHING worse than a bad teacher. In particular one who is religious. No, I'm not saying you'd be one, but be careful.

[/quote]

People tell me all the time that I would be a good teacher.

Hi there Josh:

I’ve spent some time reading your threads/posts/replies.

What I will post here is only from my own personal experience living with two Aspergers people.

52 year old man - Aspergers <- mild to medium
18 year old female - Aspergers <- severe - add to this, OCD, ODD & ADD

We have found that after 12 years of many different therapis, social workers and numerous psychiatrists, nothing has helped the 18 year female.

She possess a high IQ of 149 - brilliant in Algebra, Biology, Chemistry, Trigonometry, Calculus - she looks at these equations and performs the calculations and results in no time. She’s beaten the teachers to coming up with solutions & results.

However, she hates all of this - all she wants to do is draw Pokiman cartoons on paper.

She hates all music
She hates to read
She hates to ride her bike
She has no friends
She hates to take showers
She hates to brush her teeth
She hates to use deodorant
She hates to put on clean clothes
Everything is boring to her
She loves to play Poliman video games 24/7
She loves to draw Pokiman 24/7
She’s a habitual liar
She lies to us - constantly
She lies to our Priest - constantly
She lies to relatives & Granparents
She lies to Social Services - constantly
She lies to her Councilors
She’s is augmentative about everything
She is confrontational about everything
She provokes adults & peers to “hit her” so she can call the cops & have people locked up.
Violent rages - anger - hate

She lacks social skills - she hates the world - she blames all her problems on people, teachers, social workers, parents, doctors, friends… etc

Some people out-grow AS, as her father did. Some people do not.

The 18 year old has been recently evaluated by some high top physiologists & psychiatrists from Stony Brook University in NY and has been evaluated as having a maturity level of an 7-8 year old child.

That’s my story…tha’ts what I am going & have been through!
This posting above is the first time I’ve actually let it all out.

There’s more, but this thread is not about me living with AS people in my life, but it’s about you and your inquiry.

I know your OT is “I want to move out” - but if you analyze your life right now, it will be difficult for you to be on your own.

Many AS people rely on help & support from family.

Since they are anti-social - IT’S NOT BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE THAT WAY…!!! AS does this to them, the only human comfort they have is family.

I wish you well… I know it’s hard - believe me - I’ve lived it and still living it.

Maybe not, but you have, here at least, made very strong statements about others behavior. You would need to be careful about what you say about the behavior of your students and their parents.

[quote="joshrp, post:29, topic:253464"]
People tell me all the time that I would be a good teacher.

[/quote]

Well, that's nice, but you need to actually do it (teach) to see if you would be any good. Just because people say you'd be good, that doesn't mean you are.

Again, just to make myself clear-I'm not saying you would be a bad teacher-I don't know that, and don't really care.

Then why post?

Thanks Nec5! Love you too!

You seem to be obsessed with disagreeing with me-do you seek out my posts just to do such?

In defense of Josh, AS is an invisible disability that mainly manifests itself in poor social skills and developmental delay. As the mom of an AS child, I think Josh should talk to the REC/CCD director and see if he can shadow one of the teachers as an aide. He would especially be good in a class where there are other kids with invisible disabilities.

People not on the spectrum or closely related to someone on the spectrum cannot begin to understand how difficult it is for AS people to have the courage to reach out and be social.

Josh, I think the key is to be upfront about your disability and find out if you can observe or shadow a teacher for a year. Best of luck with that!

Josh, if you PM me with where you live, I may be able to help you out with some resources.

I am sure this will help the OP, and maybe others.

Josh -

I don’t know if you will return to this thread, but if you do, I have some questions.

What did you do after you finished high school…??

Have you ever had a job - any job…??

What were your symptoms of going to the doctor at the age of 19 and being diagnosed with Aspergers…??

That’s it for now…

Thanks!

Josh,

What about working with one of the many homeschool companies that offer on-line tutorial, live help for homeschool students, paper/report correcting, etc? These places rely on college students, such as Mother of Divine Grace in southern California.

As you complete your bachelor degree, look into univeristy-level distance learning programs where you can do more of the same from your home computer. As you gain experience this way, perhaps it will allow for a transition into a sticks and bricks classroom.

Develop a short, medium and long range plan for yourself. This will give you hope and a goal to work towards. Pray for your parents. God will show you his will, pray always.

[quote="joshrp, post:7, topic:253464"]
I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have a lot of trouble doing things, and I am probably going to need a lot of help. I feel ashamed having to ask for help. I wish I could just do it all on my own. I feel like such a burden on other people.

[/quote]

Brother- you need to stop feeling ashamed for having to ask for help. You are gift to everyone (see John 9). If there were not any people that needed help, think of all the people that really love helping people like you.

I am a dad to a 10 year old boy with Spina Bifida. He will never walk and he does not let that get him down. I asked him a couple of years ago if he ever wished he could walk. He said "No way!" He said his best friend couldn't help him carry his tray at lunch.

I hope you can find a way to get out on your own. I hope my son can get out on his own too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.