I was absolved!

[quote=Paris Blues]So am I Catholic than? Or Sunday?:stuck_out_tongue:

Whoa, that’s in 2 DAYS!!

Well, I’m sure the tears were a Gift BUT I can be a very emotional person! I’m also very, very sensitive.
[/quote]

You receive the holy Spirit at Confirmation. The sacrament completes the initiation phase of your journey. You became Catholic when you commited to the faith.

And don’t be afraid or shy about crying. You let every bit of that emotion out. They are tears of JOY!!! Let us know how you make out on Sunday. You get touched by the Bishop, very special. My 16 year old will be getting confirmed in May. I can’t wait! The ceremony will take place at the cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul in Providence. Here are some pics…

Here’s the outside…

brightridge.com/pages/cathedral_square.html

Here’s the inside…

brightridge.com/pages/cathedral.html

Isn’t this exciting?

Subrosa

Here are some pics

Take that list, light a candle, pray another thank you to our Lord for his wonderful gift of forgiveness, then burn it! In the the sacrament of forgiveness your sins have been turned to ashes and smoke, in the flame of the candle, your list of sins turn to ashes and smoke.

My priest told me to take my list of sins and burn it as well… not only to physically show me that my sins are absoved truly and fully, but also so that nobody comes across them accidentally.

Glory to God! I’m so happy for you!!!

[quote=Loboto-Me]Take that list, light a candle, pray another thank you to our Lord for his wonderful gift of forgiveness, then burn it! In the the sacrament of forgiveness your sins have been turned to ashes and smoke, in the flame of the candle, your list of sins turn to ashes and smoke.

My priest told me to take my list of sins and burn it as well… not only to physically show me that my sins are absoved truly and fully, but also so that nobody comes across them accidentally.

[/quote]

I made my first confession during a week-long silent retreat in a hermitage that had a rule: no matches, no candles in the hermitage. I settled for cutting that confession into 1/4-inch strips and putting it outside the door overnight, then slipping it into the kitchen trash at the main house the next morning.

I am told that tearing it into confetti, throwing it into the ocean, and staying to watch it all disappear into the surf can be quite healing. But since Paris is on mountain time, that’s probably not an option.

[quote=Loboto-Me]Take that list, light a candle, pray another thank you to our Lord for his wonderful gift of forgiveness, then burn it! In the the sacrament of forgiveness your sins have been turned to ashes and smoke, in the flame of the candle, your list of sins turn to ashes and smoke.

[/quote]

The only problem is, I don’t have a fireplace in my apartment. I have a shreader. Would that help?

[quote=Paris Blues]The only problem is, I don’t have a fireplace in my apartment. I have a shreader. Would that help?
[/quote]

Haven’t you ever heard the term “shredding party?”

Paris,

Very cool! His grace is sweet isn’t it.

I don’t post as often here, but have been following your journey for well over a year here. Your journey has been an inspiration to many people here.

God bless you as you enter deeper into the love story!

Anything that will give you the physical proof that your sins are absolutely absolved would be great!

I had no fireplace either… I lit a white candle and put it in a large plate, said a thanksgiving prayer and ceremoniously lit that list.

Whatever works for your situation is perfect… either way your sins ARE forgiven… whether you think about those sins again or not… just remember they ARE forgiven.

I tend to rethink old absolved sins from time to time… I asked a religious about this problem and he reminded me that Jesus is NOT a liar … when the priest says “I absolve you” that is Jesus himself through the priest that has absolved you. When I fall back on my old habits, I remember this religious man’s statement.

The angels in heaven rejoice with you too! :clapping: “I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents."
Luke 15:10

Why?

[quote=Paris Blues]Why?
[/quote]

No particular reason, only that some have done so in the past, I’ve been wrong before and I’m sure I’ll be wrong again, I’m just thinking if you found Confessions emotional, then you may find receiving Jesus emotional too…

[quote=Subrosa] Here are some pics…

Here’s the outside…

brightridge.com/pages/cathedral_square.html

Here’s the inside…

brightridge.com/pages/cathedral.html
[/quote]

Wow! What a gorgeous church! Best of everything and God Bless! You too Paris! I cried my eyes out when I received my first Holy Communion and especially when they gave the six of us the Apostles Creed to recite - I broke down and before it was finished, practically everyone at the mass (around 400 people) were sniffling with tissues! Even the cantor was crying!

God Bless and let us know how it went!

[quote=Eireann] then you may find receiving Jesus emotional too…
[/quote]

That’s right! My word, I think the Eucharist is going to be even MORE emotional than Confession! I would love to cry for that!:smiley:

But yikes! Crying in front of the whole congregation might be embarassing yet cool in a way, eh?

Whats the name of the church down the street?

[quote=CindyGia]Wow! What a gorgeous church! Best of everything and God Bless! You too Paris! I cried my eyes out when I received my first Holy Communion and especially when they gave the six of us the Apostles Creed to recite - I broke down and before it was finished, practically everyone at the mass (around 400 people) were sniffling with tissues! Even the cantor was crying!

God Bless and let us know how it went!
[/quote]

This is making me want to cry!:smiley:

[quote=Paris Blues]The words, “I absolve you from your sins” felt sooo good and peaceful.
[/quote]

See how much God loves you? He not only forgives you, but makes sure that you know you’re forgiven.

And yet so many people think that is a burden…

Hey Paris, watching you grow over the last year has been so inspirational. Your enthusiasm (almost to a fault, lol) is infectious, and I hope you can be a witness to others in this world.

Over the last year and a half, I have had a conversion of heart, primarily from dating someone who is not Catholic, and truly seeking the faith out for myself. Part of this process, was rediscovering the gift of confession. It has made me stronger in opposing SIN, and not just accepting that I’m committing the Sin. I’m embarrased to go in to the confessional and tell the priest the same sin that I committed previously, and I think twice, three, and four times now about my actions.

It is such an incredible feeling coming out of confession absolved. I’ve cried during confession also, truly being sorry for my Sin, so no worries (I’m a guy too, at risk of sounding like a panzy). Also, depending on the priest, he usually has something quite valuable to say in counselling you to refrain from committing the sin again.

Good luck on the 20th, and becareful, they bite…shhhhhh, no one tell her what I mean :wink:

Paris I am rejoicing right here in ND with you. :love:

And I wanted to share with you (since you seem alot like me) I tend to get teared eye at every confession. It is just such a wonderful feeling that God can love me even while knowing the complete sinner that I am.

And yes you have been a Catholic ever since you started searching for the Truth, you can just now start recieving the sacrements regularly.

Welcome Back Home!

[quote=Paris Blues]That’s right! My word, I think the Eucharist is going to be even MORE emotional than Confession! I would love to cry for that!:smiley:

But yikes! Crying in front of the whole congregation might be embarassing yet cool in a way, eh?
[/quote]

If you feel like crying, do it! You might inspire some of the other folks to really think about the Eucharist again.

Congratulations on your confession!!!

[quote=Superstar905]Hey Paris, watching you grow over the last year has been so inspirational. Your enthusiasm (almost to a fault, lol) is infectious, and I hope you can be a witness to others in this world.

Over the last year and a half, I have had a conversion of heart, primarily from dating someone who is not Catholic, and truly seeking the faith out for myself. Part of this process, was rediscovering the gift of confession. It has made me stronger in opposing SIN, and not just accepting that I’m committing the Sin. I’m embarrased to go in to the confessional and tell the priest the same sin that I committed previously, and I think twice, three, and four times now about my actions.

It is such an incredible feeling coming out of confession absolved. I’ve cried during confession also, truly being sorry for my Sin, so no worries (I’m a guy too, at risk of sounding like a panzy). Also, depending on the priest, he usually has something quite valuable to say in counselling you to refrain from committing the sin again.

Good luck on the 20th, and becareful, they bite…shhhhhh, no one tell her what I mean :wink:
[/quote]

Fair play to you my friend,as we say here in Ireland.

Sorry about getting off topic here. Maybe we could start a new thread for cool church buildings in our local area.

[quote=Catholic Dude]Whats the name of the church down the street?
[/quote]

There are two other church steeples that can be seen on the webpage. I’m not sure which one is behind the building opposite the Cathederal, but the one down the street (Westminster Street) is Grace Church. It is a beautiful 19th century Gothic church. gracechurchprovidence.org/

Another historical church is the First Baptist Chuch in America…
quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=72

Here are some links to the city…
providenceri.com/
providenceri.com/richardbenjamin/thumbnail.html

Subrosa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.