I Was Beat Up by a Bunch of Baptisits

I am a cradle Catholic. I just returned to the West from a trip to Tennessee where I went with my wife and in-laws to visit their family. On several occassions I overheard my wife’s aunt (a Baptisit) criticize the Catholic Church. First she said that all the ritual, ie., communion, bells, candles, (her words) etc were “a bunch of garbage.” Then the discussion turned to the recent death of John Paul II (who has been my personal hero for over 20 years) and the succession of Benedict XVI and that all of the ceremony that was associated with it was a clear indication that the Pope and not Christ was the head of the Catholic Church and that the Pope had replaced Christ… I’m not an apologist, but I do have a very good knowledge of Catholicism. As I tried (calmly) to explain the role of the Pope as the successor of Peter for the Catholic Church on earth, I was bombarded with demands to explain why, then we pray to the Pope? I explained that Catholics do NOT pray to the Pope. I explained that we pray FOR the Pope, but the conversation went nowhere. I was then asked why we (Catholics) leave Christ on the Cross in our churches and several jokes were made about it. I was very mad. I feel like I was just ran over and made a fool of by people who refused to listen and felt they knew more about the “true” Catholic Church than I did. I felt like an outcast. I felt belittled and I was super angry! As a sign of my devotion to my faith, I wore my crucifix outside my shirt for the rest of the trip. I never knew there were so many misconceptions and closed minded people out there. They said that they would “pray for me” because Catholicism was like “a cult.” I simply said, “I will pray for you too!” This was a week ago and I’m still so FRUSTRATED by it!!! What is there to do???

[quote=Dasher]I am a cradle Catholic. I just returned to the West from a trip to Tennessee where I went with my wife and in-laws to visit their family. On several occassions I overheard my wife’s aunt (a Baptisit) criticize the Catholic Church. First she said that all the ritual, ie., communion, bells, candles, (her words) etc were “a bunch of garbage.” Then the discussion turned to the recent death of John Paul II (who has been my personal hero for over 20 years) and the succession of Benedict XVI and that all of the ceremony that was associated with it was a clear indication that the Pope and not Christ was the head of the Catholic Church and that the Pope had replaced Christ… I’m not an apologist, but I do have a very good knowledge of Catholicism. As I tried (calmly) to explain the role of the Pope as the successor of Peter for the Catholic Church on earth, I was bombarded with demands to explain why, then we pray to the Pope? I explained that Catholics do NOT pray to the Pope. I explained that we pray FOR the Pope, but the conversation went nowhere. I was then asked why we (Catholics) leave Christ on the Cross in our churches and several jokes were made about it. I was very mad. I feel like I was just ran over and made a fool of by people who refused to listen and felt they knew more about the “true” Catholic Church than I did. I felt like an outcast. I felt belittled and I was super angry! As a sign of my devotion to my faith, I wore my crucifix outside my shirt for the rest of the trip. I never knew there were so many misconceptions and closed minded people out there. They said that they would “pray for me” because Catholicism was like “a cult.” I simply said, “I will pray for you too!” This was a week ago and I’m still so FRUSTRATED by it!!! What is there to do???
[/quote]

Poor you! I’m the only Catholic in a family of Baptists, but my folks are really decent people and no one gives me any grief (they sometimes ask “out in left field” questions, but they seem to accept my answers. Pray for your family and study so as to “give an anwer for the hope that is in you.”

Pray for them. They obviously have hardened hearts. They ridicule Christ on the Cross??? What great Christians.:rolleyes: Next time, tell them they you will continue to do like St. Paul and preach Christ Crucified. (DR 1 Cor. 1:23)

[quote=Dasher]I am a cradle Catholic. I just returned to the West from a trip to Tennessee where I went with my wife and in-laws to visit their family. On several occassions I overheard my wife’s aunt (a Baptisit) criticize the Catholic Church. First she said that all the ritual, ie., communion, bells, candles, (her words) etc were “a bunch of garbage.” Then the discussion turned to the recent death of John Paul II (who has been my personal hero for over 20 years) and the succession of Benedict XVI and that all of the ceremony that was associated with it was a clear indication that the Pope and not Christ was the head of the Catholic Church and that the Pope had replaced Christ… I’m not an apologist, but I do have a very good knowledge of Catholicism. As I tried (calmly) to explain the role of the Pope as the successor of Peter for the Catholic Church on earth, I was bombarded with demands to explain why, then we pray to the Pope? I explained that Catholics do NOT pray to the Pope. I explained that we pray FOR the Pope, but the conversation went nowhere. I was then asked why we (Catholics) leave Christ on the Cross in our churches and several jokes were made about it. I was very mad. I feel like I was just ran over and made a fool of by people who refused to listen and felt they knew more about the “true” Catholic Church than I did. I felt like an outcast. I felt belittled and I was super angry! As a sign of my devotion to my faith, I wore my crucifix outside my shirt for the rest of the trip. I never knew there were so many misconceptions and closed minded people out there. They said that they would “pray for me” because Catholicism was like “a cult.” I simply said, “I will pray for you too!” This was a week ago and I’m still so FRUSTRATED by it!!! What is there to do???
[/quote]

Just pray and know that on the last day, even if they [hopefully of course] go to Heaven they will realize the truth.

Praying is the best you can do from what you have described, but remember it’s the most powerful “weapon” a man can wield!

Also, remember that they were in a group, so they had a little feeling of brotherhood going on. You would have much more luck to get one of them alone. If you do, I recommend (though I am no expert) starting with something unimportant. Start with a Catholic belief that Protestants don’t hold, but that isn’t really important enough for them to take too big an objection to, so they will be more open. If you can show that the Church is right about that one thing, they will begin to be more open to believe the Church could be right about other things.

That’s what happened for me. For me, it was seeing all the Bible verses where Paul calls people children, because it proved to me that Paul was called Father. Of course this may not work for them.

Also, even though it’s a big topic, Sola Scriptura is THE belief that can be used to convert a Protestant. If you can get a person to listen to you about it (and you are well educated), there is NO way they can possible not at LEAST have some doubt, and doubt can grow easily. This is especially true with Sola Scriptura because when you really know all the facts about it, it is impossible to not realize it is the single most absurd idea in all of religion.

Also remember that they have a lot of misunderstanding, even more than most people, about the Church (I have never heard of someone thinking we pray to the Pope before). Misunderstanding is the single thing that most keeps people from the Church: even most Catholics don’t understand the true teachings of the Church.

There are plenty of resources out there, but I have compiled two useful resources here:

My essay on Sola Scriptura

A compilation of answers to topical objections

When is this Aunt’s birthday? I think a perfect gift mailed to her home would be a basic Catholic apologetic type book. Maybe Rome Sweet Home or Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic. Enclose a note offering to answer any questions she has after reading it. Tell her that you are praying that she will come to the full knowledge of the truth regarding the Christ’s Church. Then sign it -

All our love,

Best to fight back with kindness. If it doesn’t change them, it will sure drive them nuts!

Without Christ’s Passion, without His Suffering, without the Crucifixion, there can be no Resurrection.

That’s the answer I usually give. :slight_smile:

[quote=Mickey]Without Christ’s Passion, without His Suffering, without the Crucifixion, there can be no resurrection.

That’s the answer I usually give. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Plus, it was His suffering and Death which redeemed us. The Resurrection is the fruits.

*** Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.***
Matthew 5:10-12

Don’t get angry. Thank them for giving you the chance to experience God’s Grace! Amen!

NotWorthy

[quote=carol marie]When is this Aunt’s birthday? I think a perfect gift mailed to her home would be a basic Catholic apologetic type book. Maybe Rome Sweet Home or Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic. Enclose a note offering to answer any questions she has after reading it. Tell her that you are praying that she will come to the full knowledge of the truth regarding the Christ’s Church. Then sign it -

All our love,

Best to fight back with kindness. If it doesn’t change them, it will sure drive them nuts!
[/quote]

Better yet, how ‘bout a big ol’ wooden crucifix to hang up in her house!!!

NotWorthy

[quote=Genesis315]Plus, it was His suffering and Death which redeemed us. The Resurrection is the fruits.
[/quote]

AMEN!

Oh man. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Do you feel better now having told us? Just let it all out. You really will feel better…at least I would if I were yout…

I am in the same situation as you…the only Catholic in a family of all Baptist…but fortuneatly they respect my decision.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]Poor you! I’m the only Catholic in a family of Baptists, but my folks are really decent people and no one gives me any grief (they sometimes ask “out in left field” questions, but they seem to accept my answers. Pray for your family and study so as to “give an anwer for the hope that is in you.”
[/quote]

I really do feel better having let it all out. I stewed with this for a while. I just want to thank God for the Catholic Church and grace to know the Truth. I also thank God for the family on this forum. It is an awesome place to come, let things out, and know that I am among friends who understand!!!.

[quote=Dasher]I am a cradle Catholic. On several occassions I overheard my wife’s aunt (a Baptisit) criticize the Catholic Church. First she said that all the ritual, ie., communion, bells, candles, (her words) etc were “a bunch of garbage.”
[/quote]

And they don’t have any ‘traditions’? ie~ alter calls, rapture, sinners prayer, baptism rituals?

It’s really sad that they refer to Communion as ‘garbage’. I think I would get out the Bible and take 'em to task on that one. As for “rituals”, have you ever read part of the Catechism called Mass of the Ages which just so happens to be on the section of the EucharistCCC #1345 ? It’s part of a letter written by St Justin in the year AD 155.

Maybe you should ask why they take Christ off the cross and not pay tribute to that very important part of our salvation; some forget that we must carry our crosses too (a lot of people forget that Good Friday comes before Easter). I always find this funny since they believe as well as Catholics do, that Jesus’ action on the Cross made salvation possible for us, not to mention that at every single Mass we celebrate the Resurection (that’s why it’s on Sunday) and anticipate the Second Coming of Christ.

It’s good that you kept your cool. Sarcasim isn’t the best way to share Christ…Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of My name Mt 5:11".

Maybe you should ask them questions next time. Bible Alone? Faith Alone? ( Be prepared for Romans 10:9-11,13…this is were they get the ‘sinners prayer’) How one is born again? Faith vs Faith and Works? Rapture verses?

Have you thought about going over the scripture verses with them? Just last weekend I actually had a delightful conversation with a Baptist about Born Again/Baptism (John 3:3-5) and “faith and works”. I’m sure he realized that I was Catholic by my stances on these topics, and I think he was surprised by my knowledge of scripture and that I was able to finish the verses before he could.

It’s always harder to talk with relatives about faith, but maybe I would bring your Bible and CCC (brush up on some verses) the next time you go there. You can even email back and forth with them if you think that you and they may gain from it. You know were you can come for some help.

Good luck,
Lance

[/quote]

My heart goes out to you:( My family is Church of Christ and they put me through the coals any opportunity that they get:nope: It does not feel good and is amazing they report knowing more about Catholics than actual Catholics.:ehh:

Dear Brother Dasher,
Yeah, you got raked over and wrecked, but that was a tough room to play to and they don’t wanna play fair, just feed their egos when they don’t know what they’re talking about. Ya have to wonder if that’s their way of showing their love for you… I been there, in fact I had a guy threaten to “crack” me for defending the faith in a very calm and reasonable way! I just quietly told him that that would certainly impress everyone with his display of Christ-like love and he went away…then came back later and apologized, commenting as he did that I was “the most Catholic guy he’d ever met.” I thanked him for that and we had a good laugh…

There is a very good and very easy answer to your problems here. Most Catholics (until they get ripped like you did and I have been by anti-Catholics) don’t know how to charitably give as good as we get. (Boy, I can hear the n-Cs on here gettin’ ready to go off on me for saying all this, but I know that the Catholics and my friendly n-Cs who know me well from my tenure on here will understand.)

I too am a cradle Catholic, but I bailed form the church at 17 and wandered through all kinds of n-C churches for over 34 years and part of that was as a Baptist. I “re-verted” to the faith because of an incident similar to the one that you went through because I knew the junk they were saying was just plain wrong. That got me digging and that brought me home when I realized that they were even farther off base than I had thought and the we really are the full on New Testament Christianity.

There is great stuff on the mainpage Library here at CA, but what will really help you most is the Beginning Apologetics Series from San Juan Catholic Seminars (The CA online store sells them too!) Start with # 1 and go through each topic as you find them of interest, but for less than $50.00 there isn’t a better buy anywhere that I know of that will give you the tools to deal with this kind of stuff. I went through every booklet with a pencil and underlined the stuff that hit home. (In fact I keep 3 of the booklets here by the com because they cover things that are discussed often.) I highly recommend it to you. It’s not about salvaging our egos at someone else’s expense. It’s all about putting the facts out there to counter misinformation, misunderstanding, and anti-Catholic rhetoric. You’ll be really surprised at the results, though you won’t be many people’s hero…though you will gain their respect…and I guess that’s enough.
Pax tecum,

[quote=Dasher]…On several occassions I overheard my wife’s aunt (a Baptisit) criticize the Catholic Church…
[/quote]

Yep, it sure sounds like they are Baptists. Don’t feel bad, many of them are taught to hate Catholics and lied to about what Catholic Faith is. When you try to point out their error they mock you and ridicule you. They won’t listen to you since you are Catholic! No body knows better then thier Baptist frieds and preachers what the Catholics believe. Why would a Catholic know what he believes and then be truthfull about it?

My point is this. I have had the same kind of thing happen to me. When they start whith thier lies and closed mindedness you just need to redirect them to the error in their own religion! Be carefull though, if two or more of them are present they might break apart and form a knew sect!:whistle:

[quote=Dasher]…]I never knew there were so many misconceptions and closed minded people out there…]
[/quote]

Protestantism is built on a Mountain of Misconception my friend. And that mountain is higher than Everest.
Only a loving faith can move it–we have to win hearts before we can win minds. As St. Francis said "always witness, and when necessary, use words."
Ultimately, though we may help plant the seed, the Holy Spirit is the Gardener, and constant prayer is absolutely necessary. I pray every day that God will open the eyes of our ‘separated brethren,’ as He opened mine one day; always mindful of the fervent prayer of Our Lord: *
"And now Father, I pray unto thee for them, and also for all those who shall believe on their words, that they may believe in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one.*"
Christian unity is of the foremost concern for us today. Don’t get discouraged!

Peace

I’ve heard that this situation is often a lost opportunity for Evangelization. Yes, there is little chance to convert the people leveling the charges. But what about the others in the family who are around you? Maybe they’re tired of your aunt’s rantings and wanted to believe in something True for a change and were waiting for you to lovingly explain the Truth of the Church. Instead, your silence speaks volumes…

I’m not judging, I’m asking some of you to just think about it. I, too, have often remained quiet thinking that was the best course of action. That will no longer happen.

NotWorthy

[/quote]

First off don’t address your answer to the whole group. One person asked a question address your answer to that person and require before moving on that they indicate they heard and understood your answer to their question. Second never get “very mad” and “super angry” it does no good. Remember that these poor people are soooo confused when it come to the Catholic Faith. They only know what they have been told, they refuse many times to think and reason for themselves.

“I personally know they offer animal sacrifice, because Pastor Jim seen it and said so!”

What pastor Jim didn’t know was that the person he saw was the pest control man removing a rodent from behind the altar!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.