I was down South and saw many women wearing bikinis

I spent a week in the Bahamas last week and I wore a swimdress b/c I personally feel immodest in a bikini.

90% of the women were wearing bikinis and 80% of them looked terrible in a bikini. :stuck_out_tongue: The other women were wearing one pieces and tankinis. I only saw 2 other women wearing swimdresses and they were over the age of 50 at least.

I just have to say that after a day or two, I no longer cared who was wearing a bikini b/c I stopped noticing them. It was b/c it was the norm to wear a bikini. It was interesting that I stopped noticing it after a while.

I was the ONLY young woman wearing a swimdress. I definitely stood out big time. I got a lot of looks and attention from both men and woman b/c I was the only young pretty and slim girl covered up and wearing a swimdress. I actually found that the men were very attracted to me and it seemed like they were all looking at me more so than they ever did when I wore a bikini :eek: The big difference that I noticed, however, was that even though the men wre majorly checking me out, it was with extreme respect. As I would walk by them, they would smile at me in a very “what a nice girl” kind of way.

I can’t explain it. I’m not a man, so I don’t really know what was going through their minds. I can only share what I personally experienced wearing a swimdress.

I liked the attention I got b/c it wasn’t lustful or creepy. The men were very friendly and respectful towards me. I even had men stop to talk to me about the weather and how beautiful my kids are…it was as though they assumed that I was a good girl and worthy of respect. The younger men were also giving me very nice smiles as I walked by them. It was so strange. My husband was also very proud and I could tell b/c of the smiles and looks I also got from him.

Anyway, it was a very interesting experience.

Interesting! My daughter will wear a bikini but puts shorts & tee shirt over it. She leaves the " outer layer on in and out of the water. I think she understands on some level just what you expressed!:thumbsup:

Next time, just forget about what you have on, and pay attention to your children! Honestly!

That was very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! It kind of surprised me that you got more attention than the girls in bikinis, but it seems like it was a positive thing for you. Hope you had a great vacation, too! I really miss the sun this time of year. :p

[quote="ohioszo, post:3, topic:231972"]
Next time, just forget about what you have on, and pay attention to your children! Honestly!

[/quote]

:shrug: Where did that even come from? What gave you the impression she wasn't paying attention?

:rolleyes:

She’s a lot wiser than me. I wish I got this earlier in my life.

Some of us can multi-task. In fact, moms have to be able to multi task or we’d never get anything done.

Me too! It took me twenty five years to start figuring it out!

Then you’re smarter than me too!!! I wish I were as wise as you at age 25!!!

I want a swimdress! :D

Seriously, I have been wanting a swimdress for years because they are so modest and beautiful. But for the life of me I can't find any in girls sizes. It's as though designers assume that no modern teen would wear anything but a bikini. :mad:

I guess I could try to make one...but spandex sounds way out of the range of my sewing ability.
Any suggestions?

[quote="hilaretenebris, post:10, topic:231972"]
I want a swimdress! :D

Seriously, I have been wanting a swimdress for years because they are so modest and beautiful. But for the life of me I can't find any in girls sizes. It's as though designers assume that no modern teen would wear anything but a bikini. :mad:

I guess I could try to make one...but spandex sounds way out of the range of my sewing ability.
Any suggestions?

[/quote]

I found mine on swimwearplace.com. They are Canadian, but ship to the U.S. Their swimdresses are made for young women.

Thanks for the website!

[quote="Serap, post:1, topic:231972"]
I spent a week in the Bahamas last week and I wore a swimdress b/c I personally feel immodest in a bikini.

90% of the women were wearing bikinis and 80% of them looked terrible in a bikini. :p The other women were wearing one pieces and tankinis. I only saw 2 other women wearing swimdresses and they were over the age of 50 at least.

I just have to say that after a day or two, I no longer cared who was wearing a bikini b/c I stopped noticing them. It was b/c it was the norm to wear a bikini. It was interesting that I stopped noticing it after a while.

I was the ONLY young woman wearing a swimdress. I definitely stood out big time. I got a lot of looks and attention from both men and woman b/c I was the only young pretty and slim girl covered up and wearing a swimdress. I actually found that the men were very attracted to me and it seemed like they were all looking at me more so than they ever did when I wore a bikini :eek: The big difference that I noticed, however, was that even though the men wre majorly checking me out, it was with extreme respect. As I would walk by them, they would smile at me in a very "what a nice girl" kind of way.

I can't explain it. I'm not a man, so I don't really know what was going through their minds. I can only share what I personally experienced wearing a swimdress.

I liked the attention I got b/c it wasn't lustful or creepy. The men were very friendly and respectful towards me. I even had men stop to talk to me about the weather and how beautiful my kids are...it was as though they assumed that I was a good girl and worthy of respect. The younger men were also giving me very nice smiles as I walked by them. It was so strange. My husband was also very proud and I could tell b/c of the smiles and looks I also got from him.

[/quote]

Well, I'm not young, pretty or slim like you are, but I definitely will look into getting a swim dress instead of wearing shorts with a tank suit and t-shirt this summer.

[quote="ThereseOfRoses, post:13, topic:231972"]
Well, I'm not young, pretty or slim like you are, but I definitely will look into getting a swim dress instead of wearing shorts with a tank suit and t-shirt this summer.

[/quote]

Swimdresses are particularly flattering for full figured women. My mom found one on-line for her size and it looked gorgeous on her.

[quote="Irishmom2, post:5, topic:231972"]
:shrug: Where did that even come from? What gave you the impression she wasn't paying attention?

[/quote]

Oh well, just kidding!

[quote="Serap, post:1, topic:231972"]

90% of the women were wearing bikinis and 80% of them looked terrible in a bikini. :p The other women were wearing one pieces and tankinis. I only saw 2 other women wearing swimdresses and they were over the age of 50 at least.

I was the ONLY young woman wearing a swimdress. I definitely stood out big time. I got a lot of looks and attention from both men and woman b/c I was the only young pretty and slim girl covered up and wearing a swimdress. I actually found that the men were very attracted to me and it seemed like they were all looking at me more so than they ever did when I wore a bikini :eek: The big difference that I noticed, however, was that even though the men wre majorly checking me out, it was with extreme respect. As I would walk by them, they would smile at me in a very "what a nice girl" kind of way.

I can't explain it. I'm not a man, so I don't really know what was going through their minds. I can only share what I personally experienced wearing a swimdress.

I liked the attention I got b/c it wasn't lustful or creepy. The men were very friendly and respectful towards me. I even had men stop to talk to me about the weather and how beautiful my kids are...it was as though they assumed that I was a good girl and worthy of respect. The younger men were also giving me very nice smiles as I walked by them. It was so strange. My husband was also very proud and I could tell b/c of the smiles and looks I also got from him.

[/quote]

Well maybe the people on the beach liked your colour, your children, your family, your happy face.... ? Who knows...

[quote="GraceDK, post:16, topic:231972"]
Well maybe the people on the beach liked your colour, your children, your family, your happy face.... ? Who knows...

[/quote]

yeah. It was just really interesting that wearing a swimdress made such a difference. In my bikini days, I got zero attention; some looks, but that's about it. Even when I wore a bikini with my 1 year old daughter 2 years ago, people weren't nearly as friendly to me.

Perhaps a swimdress is less intimidating in general.

[quote="Serap, post:11, topic:231972"]
I found mine on swimwearplace.com. They are Canadian, but ship to the U.S. Their swimdresses are made for young women.

[/quote]

Thanks for the link--saw a one-piece that was not a swimdress but actually provided more coverage!:)

yeah. it’s a great on-line boutique. the prices are great too.

they import their stuff from Asia and Europe. that’s why their stuff looks so unique and fun.

Hmm. I might have to look into the swimdress thing. Sure, it's more modest, but also given that it covers more skin, I wouldn't have to worry about using as much sunscreen. I have an extremely fair complexion that becomes the color of a tomato within a short time in the sun, so this could be helpful. I like being different - especially at my age (21) where girls like to fry their skin...ouch.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.