I was giving a gift by chaldean it looks like a rosary

I was giving a gift of beads tied to a little rope and what they do is play with the beads two by two…usually older men use this little beaded rosary looking thing…

what is this called and what do they use it for?

Sounds like worry beads to me.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing because those beads can look a lot like Muslim worry beads.

However, it’s probably a set of beads on which to pray the “Jesus Prayer.” I’m not Chaldean (I’m Melkite), however, I would guess they share our tradition of the Jesus prayer.

The prayer to be recited on each bead is, “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

The general idea is that this prayer for mercy becomes so much a part of us that we say it with every breath. It’s a way that Eastern Rite Monks especially use to learn to pray without ceasing.

Hope that helps!

***What is a Chotki? ***

http://www.chotkis.com/pics/t-3chotkis.jpg
A Chotki, or Komvoschonion, is a set of prayer beads much like a rosary, used by Orthodox and Eastern Catholics. Instead of “Hail Mary” and “Our Father”, the Jesus Prayer is prayed. Chotkis come in a variety of sizes: 33, 50, 100, 101, 103, 150, and 300 beads. The Greek Komvoschonion is usually made of knotted wool or “rattail”, while the Byzantine Ruthenians of the Carpatho-Rusyn Mountains use strung wooden beads. The chotki ends in either a cross or a tassel, said to be used to wipe away one’s tears.

I need the LARGEST size, please, with the tail for tear-wiping convenience! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.