I was Saved, I'm being saved, and i hoped to be saved

Let me get this straight - can somebody tell me the bible verse - and explain if you have a chance.

Is this right?..
In the instance of “i was saved” is that refering to our baptism?
In “being saved” is our effort to do good?
In “hoped to be saved” is our hope that he Lord will bring us to Heaven when we die?

thanks

Maybe these verses will help.

Ephesians 2:4-5
"But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved."

1 Cor. 1:7-8
"…so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ; who will sustain you to the end.…"

1 Cor. 3:14-15
"If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire."

Phil. 2:12-13
"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

Romans 5:2
"Through him we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in our hope of sharing the glory of God."

this is what jim blackburn said this in response to a question.

“As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13).”

I think what you are referring to is the fact that Justification, Sanctification and Salvation in the Catholic world are all PROCESSES, not a one time event. Tim Staples uses that exact phrase in his “How is Man Saved?” tape set. I don’t think there is any need to split them up into specific events; ultimately it’s not you, it’s your cooperation with God’s grace.

thanks for your answers, they are greatly appreciated. :slight_smile: God Bless, Matt

mattrue - check out this article on this very site, it goes into the whole thing.

I enjoyed it so much I changed my sig a while ago to keep reminding me about it!

God bless…

awesome article thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.