I was so out of it at mass today

I didn't stay up super-late yesterday, I woke up to make 10:30 am mass at my local parish.

However, I work at noon, so I had to be out of there at 11:30 sharp. Unfortunately, when I finished getting ready, I saw it was 10:33. I decided to make 11 am mass at another parish a few miles away, and also closer to my work. I figured it wouldn't take too long; that parish dosen't do elaborate or long masses.

There had to have been 20 people there, tops. The mass started 10-12 minutes late. They actually had an organist and the priest sang the entire mass. The priest rambled on and on in his lenghty sermon; it wasn't very concise and I was inclined to believe he didn't prepare it before hand (I know priests have families and friends, too, and he may have been out late last night celebrating).

The entire time I kept checking my watch; I was so annoyed and impatient. I kept praying about how I felt. I tried to offer it up.

I ended up leaving right after the agnus dei, otherwise I would have been late for work (it was 11:45).

I know it's partially my fault that I didn't make an earlier mass, but I just kept feeling so out of it. AIs this a serious sin now that it's a holy day of obligation?

[quote="JoyIsLikeRain, post:1, topic:310015"]
I didn't stay up super-late yesterday, I woke up to make 10:30 am mass at my local parish.

However, I work at noon, so I had to be out of there at 11:30 sharp. Unfortunately, when I finished getting ready, I saw it was 10:33. I decided to make 11 am mass at another parish a few miles away, and also closer to my work. I figured it wouldn't take too long; that parish dosen't do elaborate or long masses.

There had to have been 20 people there, tops. The mass started 10-12 minutes late. They actually had an organist and the priest sang the entire mass. The priest rambled on and on in his lenghty sermon; it wasn't very concise and I was inclined to believe he didn't prepare it before hand (I know priests have families and friends, too, and he may have been out late last night celebrating).

The entire time I kept checking my watch; I was so annoyed and impatient. I kept praying about how I felt. I tried to offer it up.

I ended up leaving right after the agnus dei, otherwise I would have been late for work (it was 11:45).

I know it's partially my fault that I didn't make an earlier mass, but I just kept feeling so out of it. AIs this a serious sin now that it's a holy day of obligation?

[/quote]

I'd have called work and told them I'd be late while I was on the way to Mass.

You certainly have contrition. I'd just go to Confession and let the priest advise you.

Thanks. I was tempted to do that. However, I was releving someone who worked this morning, and I didn’t want my boss to think I was hungover and groggy from last night.

[quote="JoyIsLikeRain, post:3, topic:310015"]
Thanks. I was tempted to do that. However, I was releving someone who worked this morning, and I didn't want my boss to think I was hungover and groggy from last night.

[/quote]

Is there anything available later this afternoon? You could maybe time your break to be able to make a later Mass.

[quote="JoyIsLikeRain, post:1, topic:310015"]

[/quote]

Well, it's not your doing that your chosen Mass started so late, and you would've been able to stay for the whole thing had it started on time. I don't think that you did anything wrong.

At the same time, do attend another Mass during a break or in the evening if you can.

[quote="LilyM, post:5, topic:310015"]
Well, it's not your doing that your chosen Mass started so late, and you would've been able to stay for the whole thing had it started on time. I don't think that you did anything wrong.

At the same time, do attend another Mass during a break or in the evening if you can.

[/quote]

Sadly, I work until 8 pm, and I get only a 30-minute break.

Ironically, there is a huge, lively parish a few blocks from my work, and they only had one mass today :(

Well, God knows you tried to fulfill your Holy Day obligation. You heard as much of the Mass as you could. It's no sin.

[quote="JoyIsLikeRain, post:3, topic:310015"]
Thanks. I was tempted to do that. However, I was releving someone who worked this morning, and I didn't want my boss to think I was hungover and groggy from last night.

[/quote]

You could have told him that today is a religious holiday for you and that you would be late for work because of a required religious commitment, and provide an ETA.

I'm so sick of every other religion being accommodated by employers.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:8, topic:310015"]
You could have told him that today is a religious holiday for you and that you would be late for work because of a required religious commitment, and provide an ETA.

I'm so sick of every other religion being accommodated by employers.

[/quote]

In a prefect world, my boss wouldn't scoff at me over the phone for that.

We all have our good and bad days during mass. As far as I'm concerned, don't fret too much about it. You stayed as long as you could but if you had to leave to go to work, you had to leave. There is nothing you can do. Furthermore being late for work is never a good idea. Sometimes its a difficult to balance work with church but as long as one tries their best that is all they can do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.