I will not enter Heaven until all my spiritual children have been allowed in

St Padre Pio

Celebrated on September 23rd

A Capuchin priest and mystic, Padre Pio is one of the most loved figures in the Catholic Church of the 20th century. He spent nearly all his life in the Italian town of San Giovanni Rotondo.

Born in 1887, Francesco was one of eight children of Grazio and Maria Forgione. A very devout child, from an early age he felt drawn to the priesthood. He became a Capuchin novice at the age of sixteen and received the habit in 1902. Francesco was ordained to the priesthood in 1910 after seven years of study and became known as Padre Pio.

During the First World War he was called up for military service, but went absent without leave and never returned to duty. His superiors sent him to the friary of Our Lady of Grace at San Giovanni Rotondo.

On September 20, 1918, Padre Pio was kneeling in front of a large crucifix when he received the visible marks of the crucifixion. The doctor who examined Padre Pio could not find any natural cause for the wounds. Upon his death in 1968, the wounds were no longer visible. In fact, there was no scarring and the skin was completely renewed. He had predicted 50 years prior that upon his death the wounds would heal.

The wounds of the stigmata were not the only mystical phenomenon experienced by Padre Pio. He had an odour about him described by many as similar to that of perfume or flowers. He was also said to have had the gift of bilocation.

Padre Pio had the ability to read the hearts of the penitents who flocked to him for confession which he heard for ten or twelve hours per day. Padre Pio used the confessional to bring both sinners and devout souls closer to God; he would know just the right word of counsel or encouragement that was needed. At times he would be unsympathetic, if he detected pride or lack of intention to amend.

A model priest, Padre Pio would say: “I love my spiritual children as much or even more than my own soul.” “Once I take on a soul I also take on their family as my spiritual children.” “When I reach the gates of heaven I will not enter until all my spiritual children have been allowed in.”

Padre Pio died on September 23, 1968 at the age of eighty-one. His funeral was attended by about 100,000 people. He was beatified in 1999. He was canonized on 18 June 2002.

(from ICN)

Well, he’s wrong! the order of charity forbids to prefer the soul of our neighbor, to our soul

http://caccioppoli.com/Padre%20Pio%20and%20his%20spiritual%20children.%20His%20words%20on%20meditation%20and%20prayer.%20Gift%20of%20tears.%20The%20Prayer%20Groups..html

https://www.stalberts.org/how-to-become-a-spiritual-child-of-st-padre-pio/

A great saint is “wrong” because a stranger on the Internet says so. Ooooooooookay.

Getting back to Padre Pio, I keep asking him to have me as a spiritual child, but as I am not sure how he chose his spiritual children I always think he would probably not want me for one if he were choosing people who were particularly holy, or people like Msgr. Esseff who have a charism.

All you need do is join a St Padre Pio prayer group. If you become a member , your name goes to the Vatican as one of his Spiritual Children.

You do have to attend to the commitments of the group

Yes, but that’s not really my issue. I have asked him myself because I have a personal devotion to him as reading about him encouraged my faith practice.
I feel unworthy.
Perhaps in an odd way this is a reverse form of pride, thinking I am worse than others whom he accepts as children.

One of the monks in charge of the Aspirant’s formation tells us that is indeed pride. And any thoughts like that we must work through as with pride.

Ok, yes I suspected as much.

the saints are not infallible in everything they say

I am one of his spiritual children.

St Pio once said “we don’t have to be perfect, just willing.”
I sometimes think it’s quite ironic that though he wrote little so much is written about him, apart from anything else what a character he must have been.

It occurs to me that it doesn’t rain coffee.

(I expect you’ve noticed this :slightly_smiling_face:)

I wouldn’t ask him either.

He probably wouldn’t want me anyway.

I wear pants.

I just went to a directory for Padre Pio prayer groups in the US. There are no listings for groups in GA. Do you think you can join one and be registered if there is not one in your area?
http://www.pppg.org/?page_id=36

I am not sure. Could you start one with your Diocese?
Mine started a group a few years back. I can find out the details and how to link to all the groups with the Vatican.

I was thinking the same. I wear pants. And when I was younger I sometimes went to discotheques.

There’s a Facebook group for becoming a spiritual child of Padre Pio.

Really, though, I’m sure just asking Padre Pio directly would work just as well as getting your name on a written list.

I’m afraid I fall short of the image of the ideal Catholic woman.

Wears pants, works at what is considered a man’s job, and have a degree in a major mostly associated with men.

I am neither a wife and mother nor am I a nun.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.