I wish the Greek Orthodox would reunite with us

I haven’t seen any Latin webpages saying bad things about Orthodox.
I read that the Greeks won’t forgive the Latin Church for what the Normans did a thousand years ago. Is that true?

I read also that what led to the Great Schism was likewise linguistic mistranslations and the higher ups know that, but the bulk of believers won’t accept reunification.

I think we will need to be nuked or something for the Church wings to re unite.

Why do some people in this thread think that the Eastern Catholic churches are a model for reunion with the Orthodox? (e.g., this stuff about the Maronites…whatever they have to do with anything…they’re Syriac, not Greek, and they don’t actually have an Orthodox counterpart that they officially recognize as their mother church, so you basically couldn’t pick a more irrelevant example.)

I thought the RC itself had repudiated the “U-Word” (ughhhh) model of union… :shrug:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but what we call the “Eastern Rite” churches in the Catholic Church are those communities that were in schism with Rome, but have since reconciled and returned home.

How does the nationality of their origin matter? Maronites were Syriac (Lebanese).

I’m not sure what you are trying to say. I was asking why some in this thread seem to be using the Eastern Catholic churches as examples of how the RC and the EO should be in union when it seems like Rome herself has repudiated that method of union (see, for instance, Peter J’s signature).

And I’m sorry, but I think you’re a little confused. The Maronites are Syriac as a matter of the cultural origins of their particular form of liturgy. Syriac is not a synonym for “Lebanese”. There are also Greek Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, and other kinds of Christians in Lebanon who are just as Lebanese as anyone else, and of course many other Syriac people who are not from Lebanon (Syriac Orthodox in Iraq/Syria/Turkey/India; Assyrian Church of the East adherents in Iraq, Iran, and India; Assyro-Chaldeans in Iraq; etc.)

Please forgive my ignorance.

The Maronite Church in my city is comprised mainly of Lebanese. From their website:

Saint Raymond’s Maronite Cathedral is one of the Catholic Churches in Saint Louis, Missouri. However, we are very unique in several respects from our sister churches here in Saint Louis.

Many of our parishioners are of Arabic or Lebanese descent. You will find many families came over from the Middle East throughout the past 100 years. However, being Lebanese is not a requirement and anyone who loves our ancient Maronite tradition is encouraged to join our church.

straymondsmaronitecathedral.com/page10.php

There is also Maronite Shrine called Our Lady of Lebanon in Ohio.

I think you could say that Eastern Catholicism is just as much the model for unity as Western-Rite Orthodoxy is … which is to say, it isn’t. :slight_smile:

I guess you could say that, but it’d be pretty irrelevant since no EO poster in this thread has suggested that Catholics look to the Western Rite as an example of how Catholics and Orthodox can reunite.

Irrelevant, yes … unless you happened to read the part at the end :slight_smile: (emphasis added):

If only the two would return, how much richer our faith would be…I like many things about the Orthodox Church.

I am sure that they did not care particularly for such a bitter attitude either.

Well actually, a lot more than two have returned – if by return you mean become Catholic.

The thing is, if a certain number of Orthodox become Catholic, and about the same number of Catholics become Orthodox, then what have those “returns” really accomplished?

I don’t know except we are united in mind.

Check out the comments of any Catholic blog when the topic of Orthodoxy comes up.

Hi Carmel Jerome: I have to with you on your statement Charity of neighbor and we should try to take out the sliver in one’s eyes without first looking the plank in our own eyes.

There are many different Catholic’s that are not of the Latin rite. Some are Lebanese Catholic’s, Armenian Catholic’s, Syriac Catholic’s Assyrian Catholic’s, Chaldean Catholic’s, Coptic Catholic’s, Melkite Catholic’s, Byzantine Catholic’s etc. etc. etc. As far as I am concerned they are all Catholic no matter what rite they belong to and it seems to me that their practice and traditions is what up the Catholic Church and I think that they run their own Churches as they well without the Pope interfering with everything that they do.

I lived in a small town near the boarder in AZ. the Catholic Church I attended had both Mexicans and non-Mexicans with one priest who spoke both Spanish ands English and to top it off we were not two Churches but one Church and we got along well together without any problems as to who was better then the other.

Well, it would not be an offer if it could not be refused. :sad_bye:
[/quote]

True. But reading your post, something else occurs to me: In my experience, people who extend such offers don’t always take too kindly to being refused (i.e. Anglican offers being turned down by Catholics, Catholics offers being turned down by Orthodox, etc).

What makes you believe that we’ll reunite with us in the next 25 years?

So do Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox share the same beliefs as one another? Please elaborate on “some of the developments that took place in our church following the schism”. Not for argument, just for clarity.

I appreciate the polite decline, actually. The fact that you were kind enough to a) acknowledge the invitation and b) appreciate it merely stands to show why I like the Orthodox so much in the first place. I will continue, however, to visit your church as often as possible.

I’m American and white and I frequent Hispanic masses and GO liturgies despite not speaking a word of Greek. Catholics must recall that until recent years our own liturgies were in Latin! At our church btw the English and Hispanic masses are identical. I do speak Spanish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.