I wonder if Jesus died on a .....

If Jesus died on a X style cross would people still venerate that by wearing an X around thier neck?

Yes. Though it would make “crossing one’s self” a more interesting maneuver.

The reason i ask is i feel no matter what thing jesus died on some would use it in thier worship correct?

Well we (catholics) worship the person and meditate on the act. What he died on really doesn’t matter in the sense that Jesus came down to die for our sins. How God decided for it to be done was up to him.

You don’t have to wear a crucifix around your neck to be considered catholic or christian but it is a good reminder to have with us.

I guess if jesus died some other way then we may use that as a symbol.

So when the bible tells us to guard against idolitry does that not include crosses?

So when the bible tells us to guard against idolitry does that not include crosses?

*Idolatry

And is someone worshiping the images of the Cross, or the Crucifixion?

to my understanding wearing an image around your neck is a form of idolitry

Well, I suppose that “some” might but since this is a Catholic forum, you are going to get mostly Catholic responses. Catholics do not worship the cross. We include the Crucifix at Mass but not the ones around our necks. And we remember the Cross since we know from Paul (I Corinthians 2:23) that “we preach Christ crucified”. When a Catholic wears a cross around his/her neck it is a silent witness to the Gospel. This silent witness follows the example of St. Francis who said “Preach the Gospel at all times - if necessary use words.” :slight_smile:

Flamesandfire,

I see from another thread that you identified yourself as a Jehova’s Witness. You might save yourself and the rest of us some time if you add that to your profile.

to my understanding wearing an image around your neck is a form of idolatry

Really? So my sister who wears a heart around her neck is worshiping hearts? Or those who keep lockets with photos are worshiping their loved ones?

Does it have to be around the neck? What about photographs or drawings? Is TV idolatrous? Or what about the things on the internet? The smiles to my left; are they idolatrous? Is it a sin to make any sort of picture, image, or description? If I describe something in written words, is that idolatrous?

No, it does not include Christian imagery.

To a Catholic understanding, that would be a false interpretation of the first commandment. Idolatry involves worship directed to an object as if it really was what it signified. A cross or crucifix on a chain is not being worshiped, and is a reminder; no one believes it to be what it signifies.

rawb Wow, From your response you sound upset. Read 2 cor.6:16 it clearly tells us that idols have no place in pure worship.

If you’re talking to me, about being upset, F&F, I’m not. I’m a bit rushed, as I need to get to bed soon is all.

I would appreciate an answer to my questions.

If you think idolatry must have something to do with religion, then what of the serpent put on a pole which, when looked at, cured the Israelites of their snakebites in the Old Testament? Or the seraphim placed over the Ark of the Covenant?

As a Catholic I agree with you that idols are wrong - but then what is an idol?

i·dol (dl)
n.
a. An image used as an object of worship.
b. A false god.
2. One that is adored, often blindly or excessively.
3. Something visible but without substance.

So, if an image isn’t being used as an object of worship, it is not an idol. Thus pictures and images are not idols, even if we wear them around our necks, unless we are worshiping the actual image itself. No Catholic worships a little picture that hangs around their neck, but it does help us remember God throughout our day

You are correct. Christian images are NOT idols, because they do not represent false gods.

This was all hashed out during the Iconoclastic Controversy in the seventh century. If Western Christians had not had statues, paintings, and stained glass windows, there would not have been any way to transmit the Gospels, since 99.5% of people could not READ! Priests had to read the Bible aloud and use the stories in the images to relate the various points. Without religious imagery, Christianity may have died out.

God WANTED this, unlike the golden calf, or other dungy idols.

false christianity mabye.

Your mistake is not knowing what an idol is.

Webster dictionary

1 : a representation or symbol of an object of worship; broadly : a false god

I have never heard anyone say that the cross is a god until they do it is not an idol.

F&F, I had to edit my last post to answer you more fully. Please read it again and respond.

to my understanding wearing an image around your neck is a form of idolitry

First off, the word is spelled “idol***A***try.”

The suffix “-latry” comes from the Greek word LATREIA, which means the worship given to God alone. Thus our Saviour is recorded as using it in the Gospels.

Since nobody gives the cross “latreia”, it’s not idolatry.

OTOH, we can agree that an idol is anything that gets in the way of following Jesus, right?

Well, you might be surprised to knokw that Our Savior said that devotion to the Scriptures can become idolatry:

John 5:

39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Furthermore, I really doubt that you yourself know what you mean when you say “pure worship,” but it certainly cannot be with ANY externalities at all, because we are not pure spirit. A physical body–something quite material–is an intrinsic part of our human nature.

So, your understanding is wrong.

**How did you arrive at the estimate of “Millions who do”? Do you know just ONE of these supposed “millions who do”?

I really doubt it.

In any case, if they exist, it’s not BECAUSE of the teaching of the Church BUT IN SPITE OF IT. **

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.