I.Y.O. What can't we agree to disagree on

With Christian Charity,

What my friends can we NOT agree to disagree on?

God Bless you

Patrick

The very things we agree on!

I’m admittedly a little confused on your question. Two people can agree to disagree on anything, and in a world where diverse views (religious/political/moral/scientific/etc) that is incredibly important. We vote on laws to govern ourselves, and even if you don’t agree with the laws you must abide by them or pay the punishment. Now, even if you don’t agree with that system, you may choose to either A) deal with it despite your objections, or B) move somewhere else.

Seems like an odd question, but I think I have an answer.

I would not agree to disagree if someone was trying to tell me it’s already for him to commit suicide, and wanted my approval. I would never relent in trying to convince him to change his mind, even if he wanted me to just “agree to disagree”.

I presume you’re asking in matters of faith and morals, yes? If it’s about food, drink, or whether or not the U.S. president-elect is a disaster or not, we can pretty much agree to disagree on those.

Anything that’s definitively defined as to be believed by the faithful, including acts of the Ordinary and Extraordinary Magisterium, i.e. “de fide” are not subject to negotiation. Those who accept are orthodox. Those who reject are heretics. There is no “agree to disagree” there. Abortion is out. Euthanasia is out. Contraception is out. The Trinity is must-believe. The Incarnation is must-believe. The Hypostatic Union is must-believe.

One may agree to disagree on prudential matters. Whether or not the death penalty can/should be applied is one. Whether a particular war is just is another.

One cannot also disagree on matters that the Church has settled on her authority, but with a basis in definitive principles. One may disagree with the way the Mass is celebrated. But one may not claim the Ordinary Form Mass is invalid. The former is subject to disagreement. The latter is not.

“agree to disagree” is a very odd phrase. It reflects relativity. For example:

“I believe my arguments are just as good or better than yours.”

I believe my arguments are just as good or better than yours.

Agreeing to disagree in terms of faith and morals is the Dictatorship of Relativism in action. Nothing is known for certain - it’s just your opinion. The conversation ends and no consensus and no kind of community can function like that. You’re left with tribes. Tribe A believes abortion is OK because the embryo is not a human being. Tribe B knows the embryo is a human being because it is part of the process of how all human beings grow and mature.

But - no agreement means nobody is right. They just have their opinions and nothing changes.

Strangely, there are still protests for both “opinions,” so “agreeing to disagree” is a meaningless phrase designed to shut down dialogue. In my view, it’s a polite way of saying: “I’m right, you’re wrong and I’m not going to talk about it/discuss it.” But in real life, real decisions are made, real conflicts occur, so I say: get rid of this fake phrase.

Ed

:thumbsup:

Too much blog reading leads to confusion, as well.

Agree to disagree simply means that two persons who respect each other, both understand that there are issues of disagreement between them, that neither is going to change the other’s mind, and that it is preferable not to waste time continuing to argue.

This is preferable IMINWHO to continuing an argument in which agreement is simply not going to happen.

Now, as to the title question, the answer is it depends. Some have given answers centering on Church teachings. But if I have an amigo who is not a Catholic, I am not going to argue the doctrines of the Church with him, unless he is seeking conversion.

ICXC NIKA

Still better than Facebook! :):):slight_smile:

Not by much, GEddie! Most “experts” are hardly so. :smiley:

True, but few of them are a plot from Hades! :):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

In the matter of faith and morals we can’t agree to disagree. As edwest2 said this is where Relativism comes in. There are absolute truths in matters of faith & morals.

Either the Catholic Church, which most of us here on CAF are members of, is true or it’s not. There are no parts that are true and parts that aren’t. It’s an all or nothing deal. If we agree to disagree on a matter of faith and morals, then we are basically saying that parts of our faith are not absolute truth.

I can agree to disagree that butter is better that margarine, or the color blue is better than green, but none of that has anything to do with faith or morals.

But I can’t agree to disagree that abortion is wrong, or that adultery is wrong. Doesn’t mean I’m going to fight to the death to prove I’m right but I will find as much information I can to show it is a undeniable truth and not relative.

Chris Stefanick has a good CD on this. lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/title/relativism

I think I understand your point but your examples make me wonder?

Is there any “Protestant” denomination that would argue abortion or adultery is right?

My lack of clarity seems to be evident:D

Allow me to try again.

Protestants and Catholics agree on several KEY issues: One True God for example

And likewise we disagree on other KEY issues: The primacy of Peter for example

So what OTHER issues do we disagree on and WHY?:slight_smile:

Thanks and GB

And I agree with you

Point taken:D

GB

a profound reply:) THANKS

WOW:D

YOU actually got my point:thumbsup:

GBY

BIG “IF” there is, I would be only mildly surprised:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.