Ian McKellen 'Proudly' Rips Leviticus 18:22 Out of All Bibles

Amen. :wink:

Sir Ian is an amazing actor. He’s quite probably the most talented actor alive today. It’s a shame his character isn’t also as amazing.

– Mark L. Chance.

I wouldn’t go that far. Sir McKellan is quite the philanthropist, and I would suspect a pretty nice guy as well. We all have our flaws.

Thank you, Andrew!! I appreciate you saying this. I appreciate it very much.:thumbsup:

You’re very welcome! :slight_smile: Does a half bow I personally love books myself…and vandalizing them is baaaaaad. He should pay…plain and simple, as it’s a crime. If one could get away with ripping out pages of books people don’t agree with…we’d have no books left! :eek:

But, once again, thank you.:slight_smile:

He’s a fool. Pray for him.

“loving, consensual, and committed relationships”? Don’t think this is true of most homosexuals. In any case, don’t think it more true of today’s homosexuals than, say, old Greeks. They would have laughed at the idea of men playing at being man and wife, and taking the act seriously.

Some years ago he said the Bible was fiction, and of course he was in the Da Vinci Code film. This is not as surprising as it should be.

What’s ironic is that the LOTR movie and books were instrumental in drawing me closer to Christ. Mckellen’s portrayal of Gandalf was inspiring, despite the fact that he was in the Gay lifestyle.

In this sense, Mckellen’s temper-tantrum has failed, because the words of Christ have already been written in my heart and are working to draw me away from sin. My guess is that Mckellen’s conscience is bothering him so bad that he has to take out his frustrations on a book. It’s an inferiority complex of living with an imaginary character far better than he is. The thing is, the portrayal of Gandalf didn’t come from nowhere. Somewhere deep inside Mckellen is the spark of faith that flowed out to become his portrayal of Gandalf and is stirring his conscience. That means he has the potential to change for the better.

Look at it this way, God sometimes uses sinful people to bring about a greater good. Mckellen has already been instrumental in at least one person abandoning the Gay lifestyle. Who knows how many more people have also been drawn closer to God, because of the LOTR movie.

Anyways, Mckellen’s ripping of a hotel bible is no big loss. The Gideons have tons more of them.

To quote the movie 13th warrior

Don’t worry, little brother! There’s more!!!

First, the Bible actually is inspired Word of God through the prophets and Apostles, but that takes practice in prayers and faith so the Holy Spirit can reveal that knowledge to you. Secondly, it was not written for historical purposes, it was written in a story form because many people of the time were poor, uneducated, and illiterate, so storytelling was the only way to teach people God’s laws. That’s why Jesus taught endlessly in parallels.

The most enchanting and unique part of the Bible is that through all characters and stories, you can draw parallels from the ancient time to present time to even your own life.

For example, you stated an important fact. Homosexuality does not bear children therefore laws were created to protect the family unit in the ancient time.

Fact, in the world today we are facing a crises that many are not aware of and that is an aging population in many parts of the world and not enough children being born to replace the ones that are dying: Japan, Germany…most of Europe. That is why there is a vacuum and the refugees from the wars going on in the Middle East and Africa are filling that vacuum. If it wasn’t for them filling in that vacuum, countries and economies there would be dying.

Another fact: President Obama is trying to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. Meaning that the very definition that many cultures have held on to of man and woman marriage from the birth of mankind, as the foundation where children can be born and raised as a family is in danger. We are talking centuries belief. This goes not just for us as Catholics but for all cultures that represent their motherlands here in America who do believe in families. Countries and nations were built on the backs of families. In fact, all the countries in the world in ancient times, started out as tribes, which started from families.

Overpopulation is propaganda. England and Japan only “appear” overpopulated because there are millions of people living in a small island. In the case of China, overpopulation is a problem only because a communist nation doesn’t let you leave…freely. What we need to be worried about is when all these baby boomers here in the US, from 10+ sibling families start dying.

I’m having a hard time understanding how a homosexual union, no matter how committed and loving is going to secure the future of a nation by brining new children into the world to replace all the ones dyiing who are nearing heaven’s door. Part of the reason our economy is suffering is because many of these baby boomers are retiring right now and there is not enough young people going into the work force to replace them.

What we also have to look at is world fertility rate. How many children are being born per person in any given country. The world repopulation rate is 2.1. So what that means for every family, all of us have to have at least 3 children to repopulate or, replace the ones dying in each of our countries. The Arabian fertility rate is above 5 compared to 1.5 or 1.7 in Europe and it’s about 2.7 here in America.

You many not necessarily need a woman for children to survive, but you DO need one to bring them into the world. How do you plan on adopting a child if there are few? Because last I heard America is selling abortion to women and many are buying it! In fact didn’t a report come out recently that 1 billion babies have been aborted since Roe vs. Wade? It’s hard enough for a heterosexual couple to adopt a child, let alone a homosexual.

The stories in the bible are not just laws and stories… these things can, will, and are happening.

If you look at the big picture and what is going on in the world, it may help to understand why us Catholics are so passionate about God’s laws.

Plus, with today’s rampant overpopulation, perhaps homosexuality is God’s form of population control."—> Actually its the Devil’s agenda. We are created in the image of God. Because Satan was cast out of heaven and he can never return, he hates us humans, even the Satanic worshiping ones and wants nothing more than to be rid of us.

Its like the saying goes…history repeats itself.

If Sir Ian is Jewish then he wouldn’t read the NT. OT is all it would be.

I don’t believe he is Jewish. I think people may be confusing him with some of the characters he has played (e.g. Magneto). He is an atheist, gay activist.
atheism.about.com/b/2006/05/28/ian-mckellen-bible-should-have-fiction-label.htm

Ian McKellen: Bible Should Have ‘Fiction’ Label
Sunday May 28, 2006
Most people don’t realize that actor Ian McKellen is an atheist - but if he is an atheist, what’s he doing in the movie The Da Vinci Code? Simple: he thinks that it’s a really good story (the book, at least - reviews indicate that the movie isn’t as good). He’s not bothered about playing a role in a fictional story, though he thinks that the Bible is just as fictional.
Writing about his decision to take a role in The Da Vinci Code, McKellen said:

“The Catholic Church is upset by the suggestion that Jesus Christ was married and that his bloodline survives to this day. As an atheist I am indifferent. As a reader I couldn’t stop turning the pages of Dan Brown’s book.”
NewsBusters reports on more recent comments of his:

British actor Ian McKellen [Gandalf of Lord of the Rings], piped up: “Well, I’ve often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction. I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. And I have faith in this movie. Not that it’s true, not that it’s factual, but that it’s a jolly good story. And I think audiences are clever enough and bright enough to separate out fact and fiction, and discuss the thing after they’ve seen it.”

With the camera focused on McKellen, one could hear a distinctly nervous laugh in the background, seeming to come from either actor Tom Hanks or director Howard. McKellen’s stunning bit of blasphemy is likely to test the adage that all publicity is good publicity.

**Give this man what he really needs. That is Prayer. Prayer and more Prayer. **

:rotfl:

Ironic that he was in a film series that was based off a Catholic book series written by an extremely devout Catholic

Again, he grew up in a Christian family, not Jewish… his character in X-Men was not autobiographical. :rolleyes:

Are you sure? Because, Ian McKellen sounds very ethnically Jewish to me. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

And Magneto has varied between been Jewish and not over the years as Marvel comics worried at points that one of their major villians been Jewish sent a poor message out - a bit stupid really as the X-men are the creation of Jewish men as are most of Marvel’s big properties and most of the big comicbook icons as well such as Superman and Batman.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.