IBM Predicts Mind Reading Computers of the Future

IBM reported that soon in the future people can instruct computers to execute functions by thought waves. huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/20/next-5-in-5-ibm_n_1160955.html

I have always believed that only God knows what people think and the Devil ihas no access to a person’s mind. Having now learned of machines that can pick-up brain waves and can “know” of people’s intentions, (this reminds me of a Tom Cruise movie. I forgot the title of it) it seems that I might now have to change my thinking on this somewhat.

IIs there anyone else who can see for this technology to be eventually turned into very invasive practices in order to keep tab of every aspect in the lives of people?

The article mentioned, for example, that areas of people can be mapped as to sense how they feel! Yikes!

Minority Report.

it seems that I might now have to change my thinking on this somewhat.

IIs there anyone else who can see for this technology to be eventually turned into very invasive practices in order to keep tab of every aspect in the lives of people?

The article mentioned, for example, that areas of people can be mapped as to sense how they feel! Yikes!

There’s a big gap between picking up a few voltage waves connected to some low bit rate aspect of brain activity that have to be individually calibrated to each person and actually picking up internal images and speech for somebody that’s never been calibrated.

I predict that the more florid science-fiction fantasy will not come to pass in the near term. Whether or not it will come to pass in the more distant future is hard to tell.

As for Satan being a finite being and not being able to read minds, I think Satan is probably finite, but I never really thought it was impossible for him to read minds (or guess what people will do – it isn’t like he hasn’t been watching lots of people over the -]years/-] -]centuries/-] -]millennia/-] . . . I mean ever since human beings existed).

I’m not sure what good it would do him. I mean after all, what if he read somebody’s mind and then God said, “Nope, not gonna let you use that. Start over buddy. psst Hey! Guardian Angel, if Satan tries this again, let him have it!” He has to play it the way God wants him to, period.

Oh, yeah, that is what the movie was called: Minority Report. :smiley: I can so visualize the scenario you gave of God reprimanding Satan to stop reading people’s minds. It is quite possible, though, that God may allow man to advance to the point whereby very sensitive sensors can be aimed at a subject’s brain to gather information of thought and intent. That is if you ask me is a pretty scary prospect,

I imagine that people can be taught techniques to counteract the practice of extracting information from minds. I believe the technique is already known, and that Saints are masters of it. I say it is called the techniques how to engage in “spiritual combat” or “spriritual warfare.” I think it would be so beneficial for classes of this type to become available at local parish churches. I believe that the earlier people are made more aware and taught that mankind’s wars are not fought on battlefields but in the human mind and soul, the more effective dangerous trends in society as a whole can be counteracted. Boy, I can just see the effects of such an awesome army once arrayed and fully engaged. :smiley:

Many philosophers of the mind are skeptical such will ever occur. Thoughts are just patterns of neuronal firings, but what makes a thought about a dog different to a thought about a cat is unknown. They both look the same. Many say we can never know in principle.

Philosophers philosophize and are many times wrong. Scientists, however, execute ideas into reality. I believe the human mind can do anything what the mind can conceive. Patterns of neuronal firings can be recorded and mapped and translated into predictions of a most likely outcome. Same can be done with those of cats and dogs. The neuronal firings can be classified by creature and with study and research it can then be determined what these firings mean from creature to creature. I don’t know, I am just talking off of my head. But this is what my mind can imagine, so it can be done. To what extend God allows this type of technology to go is another story. But wow! look how far he got Einstein and other scientists to go. It seems since man has been created in the image of God, man is allowed to develop whatever he is capable of conceiving. Got to go! Dinner time! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.