ICE, Border Patrol had access to NY's DMV database. With a new license law, now they don't

ALBANY – Federal immigration and border officials have been blocked from accessing New York’s DMV database, a move that keeps them from accessing data that can be used to help determine whether a vehicle owner has a criminal history or a warrant for their arrest.

New York’s Green Light Law took effect Saturday, allowing those without legal immigration status to apply for driver’s licenses in New York.

But the law also included a provision prohibiting state DMV officials from providing any of its data to entities that enforce immigration law unless a judge orders them to, leading the state to cut off database access to at least three federal agencies last week.

Among them were U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or CBP — which patrols the U.S.-Canada border in New York — and U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

Essentially, NY is a sanctuary state…forget the smaller unit…go for the whole state. :unamused:

This is down right dangerous for every American Citizen.

Governor Coumo has turned himself into by definition …a pseudo vigilante…putting Americans in danger.

4 Likes

It’s a disgrace. But the masses are awakening to the truth. Despite the mockingbird media i truly believe the majority of Americans have figured out what guys like cuomo and friends are up to.

NYS law enforcement will likely unite with Federal enforcement anyway
And not in Cuomo’s favor.
“You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.”

Abraham Lincoln

Good on ya New York! Hopefully more states follow suit.

1 Like

The prefix psuedo is usually applied when the entity doesn’t meet the definition of a phrase. I’m not quite sure what you are communicating here.

I’m on the side of “governments share and have access to too much information about us already”. I don’t care whether it is local to local or local to state or state to federal or any other combination. I’m also not fond of how much information about us the various governments require business give about customers and employees.

2 Likes

I agree. Anyone who really wants the government to have access to everything state and local governments know about us, plus what Amazon and Google and Apple and Land’s End and who knows who else knows is just begging to have an Orwellian society just so they can feel “safe.”

1 Like

I guess the words I would like to use probably wouldn’t go over very well.

And it appears some people here don’t appreciate how law enforcers work to keep them safe.

Every adult American has watched America’s Most Wanted with John Walsh to know how the system works.

Anything that makes ICE’s job harder is a bonus, I suppose.

ICE and border patrol going after immigrants instead of employers is like police departments going after prostitutes but not their “johns”.

not really

Those ‘employers’ you talk about are on the American team…too valuable. They get a little correction and set back on course.

LOL…Oh, of course…I forgot morality is a team sport, and those not on the team we support are the adversary.

We can laugh but they really should be punished too.

I have a high school friend that is now a police officer that expressed something similar.

My thoughts, police are human and have the same flaws af the rest of us humans. Some protect, some act with malicious intent. Even among those dutifully executing their responsibilities they could chin’s themselves playing a role in injustice when there imbalanced laws.

Because of this I appreciate the efforts some but not all police.

The majority of men and women attracted to be law enforcers are good people with good intentions.
The main concern now is a state or city government that corrupts that good will.

1 Like

LOL…Deep State, huh?

LOL…and they need only watch The Apprentice, I guess to know how the Administration works!

When we gather our facts from reality TV instead of the “Enemy of the People” and “Fake News”, I guess we get what we deserve!

No, it isn’t that I am interested in making government’s job harder.

Like our Founding Fathers, though, there is a limit to what I am willing to give up to make things easier for the government and her officers. That does mean they can’t keep me as safe or enforce our laws as rigorously, that is true. Well, what it would take to get perfection in law enforcement is too much to pay. Liberty is too precious.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.