ICKSP oblates

I just watched a little slideshow on the oblates of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. It appeared as though they wear the Roman collar...is this correct? If so, why? Doesn't that create confusion? I thought only priests could wear it.

If anyone wants to watch the slideshow here it is institute-christ-king.org/vocations/oblates/

The slides show appears to be about Clerical Oblates.

[quote="anp1215, post:1, topic:276432"]
I just watched a little slideshow on the oblates of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. It appeared as though they wear the Roman collar...is this correct? If so, why? Doesn't that create confusion? I thought only priests could wear it.

If anyone wants to watch the slideshow here it is institute-christ-king.org/vocations/oblates/

[/quote]

The roman collar is not just for priests. Male religious may wear it if the do not have a habit or if their institute allows the wearing of it in place of their habit. Seminarians may also wear it if their bishop and seminary allow it.

These oblates are full members of the congregation and make promises of obedience to the religious superior. Some of them are clerics in that they are in minor orders (such as sub-deacon) or they are in major orders (deacon).

[quote="ByzCath, post:3, topic:276432"]
The roman collar is not just for priests. Male religious may wear it if the do not have a habit or if their institute allows the wearing of it in place of their habit. Seminarians may also wear it if their bishop and seminary allow it.

These oblates are full members of the congregation and make promises of obedience to the religious superior. Some of them are clerics in that they are in minor orders (such as sub-deacon) or they are in major orders (deacon).

[/quote]

Thanks, I had no idea.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.