Icon of St. Peter the Aleut?

I was recently given an Icon of St. Peter the Aleut Martyr. I found a link that has a few of the details included in the back of the icon. allsaintsofamerica.org/orthodoxy/peter.html

I do not want to know if he is more holy or less holy than any of our Saints, but after reading the account of his life and death I am very curious as to whether or not our Catholic Church recognizes him as a Saint?

Is it alright for me to hang up his icon?

I need to know whether or not I can venerate him?

I know that it would be wrong for a Catholic to try to convert another person of any faith to our Church in that manner. I’m sure that in their hearts the Spanish Catholic Missionaries were doing what was best for the eternal life of Peter - didn’t Jesus say if a hand causes you to sin, cut it off to enter into Heaven without a hand is better than to go to Hell, or something along those lines? I mean I know what they did was wrong, but I can understand how they may have thought it was a good thing.

I also know that our Church currently recognizes that the Orthodox Church has valid Sacraments so would their Martyr St. Peter the Aleut be considered a Saint in the Catholic Church?

Would St. Peter the Aleut be akin to St. Joan of Arc who was also condemned and torchured by ordained members of Catholic Church and now honored as a Saint?

I honestly don’t know. And I certainly don’t want to cause a fight over it in the forums or get banned.

The was told to post this in the Spirituality Forum by Rachel rather than have it asked in the Non-Catholic or Eastern Catholic Forums.

I don't know much about it, but I read this at wikipedia, which certainly raises some questions:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_the_Aleut

Historicity
An account of the martyrdom of Peter the Aleut is contained in a lengthy letter written on Nov. 22, 1865, by Symeon Ivanovich Yanovsky to Damascene, abbot of the Valaam Monastery in Russia.[6][7] Yanovsky (1789–1876), who is also one of the chief sources of information about St. Herman of Alaska, was chief manager of the Russian colonies from 1818-1820. In the letter he was reporting on an incident that he had heard from a supposed eyewitness, and that had taken place in 1815, that is, a half a century earlier. The letter contains the description of Peter being tortured by "Jesuits": the Jesuit order had been suppressed in 1773, and had only been reconstituted in 1814. There were in 1815 no Jesuits within a thousand miles of California. There were Franciscans in California at the time. Yanovsky adds, "At the time I reported all this to the Head Office in St. Petersburg." And indeed, this earlier communication, his official dispatch to the company's main office—dated Feb. 15, 1820, five years after the event—also relates the story of St. Peter's martyrdom, albeit with different details.[8]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.