Icons of God the Father

Now there are various times in history where people have depicted God the Father in art as an old man. This has often been done for purportedly religious purposes.

Whilst it may be legitimate to represent Christ in his human nature in art, is it acceptable to thus depict God the Father? Is it theologically sound, and do any churches sanction it?

Well, considering that The Creation of Adam, among others, is one of the frescoes in the Sistene Chapel, I would assume that the Catholic Church doesn’t have a problem with it as long as it is done respectfully.

I believe that as long as it is a symbolic representation it is acceptable. You also see the Holy Spirit depicted as a dove or fire.

God the Father is pure spirit therefore any image that is supposed to be an actual depiction of Him would be false because he doesn’t have a material body.

Does Nicea II sanction images of the Father?

Icons have much more meaning than may first appear. We all understand that God the Father is incorporeal. The icons are not meant to imply otherwise. They are there to convey truth.

I do wonder how the saints in heaven “see” God. Moses was not allowed to see God but only as He was turning away, so He can at least allow our visual sense to perceive Him when He wills it.

It’s said He’s really, really bright. Perhaps they have glorified corneas that do not burn.

Regarding icons of the Eternal Father…I wonder if He ever said to Himself, “That looks nothing like Me, but I’ll allow the humans to represent the Infinite in a form readily familiar to them.” Kind of like children’s finger paintings of their houses and families.

How can the saints behold him with their eyes, when their souls are separated from their bodies, and will be so until the general resurrection?

What about Christ before he took on human form when he was the Angel of The Lord.

Isaiah 63:9-10
In all their affliction he was afflicted,
and the angel of his presence saved them:
in his love and in his pity he redeemed them;
and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.
But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit:
therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

The Angel of God the Father’s presence saved them and in his love and in his Pity he redeemed them; yet they rebelled and vexed his Holy Spirit.

Here the Angel of The Lord is depicted as God the Father’s presence and is the Holy Spirit of God.

Who can deny these versus friends?

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God,
The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

The Angel of the Lord’s presence is given as the Son to the word in the incarnation process, yet the definite articles THE mighty God, THE everlasting Father, THE Prince of Peace all describe the Angel of the Father’s presence.

Now the risen Christ no longer has human form, but was translated into the form of an Angel. The same Angel of the Father’s presence in John’s Revelation comes and then Blows the trumpet of God and declares time no longer.

You shouldn’t be depicting any form friends. You are all in error and instruct your church hierarchy to remove them because they are not the true depiction of the risen lord who is the Angel of the Father’s presence, the Alpha and Omega.

very strange last response-almost schizo affective in form and context-

What?

As you can see by his “religion” he does not conform his beliefs to what the Holy Spirit revealed to our fathers before us. He is free to interpret scripture in whatever delusional manner he sees fit.

As I recall it is uncanonical. In fact my church had to replace an Icon that did depict the father for precisely that reason. I think the father should be avoided in any way, except the hospitality of abraham.

Basically this is graven image issue; to be worshipped which is wrong.

If they are merely form of art and not for worshipping, then in principle they are allowed. Similarly about the depiction of Christ or the Holy Spirit in paintings - we know they are not true images of Jesus or the Holy Spirit but merely art as visual tool to symbolize them. They are not for worship too.

I suppose it is not so about any particular painting being sanctioned by the Church but rather that the Church does not think such art is against the commandment of God since they are not for worship.

Don’t be so surprised, I am telling you the truth. The truth is Christ and if I showed you some scriptural versus to arose the WHAT?

It was my intention that you being inquisitive asked why by repeating the statement:

Now the risen Christ no longer has human form, but was translated into the form of an Angel.

Firstly Christ before the incarnation was the Angel of the Lord’s presence throughout the Old Testament. Go and study and ask Christ to lead you to all truth.

Secondly the Living Word who is the Angel of the Lord’s presence was incarnated as the Jesus of Nazareth. He took on the form of a servant, that is Adam One body.

Thirdly scripture declares that for anyone to go to heaven, they must put on the immortal heavenly body of an angel. When Jesus was asked about the women who married seven brothers in line after they died, and as to who would be her husband in heaven. Jesus replied neither, because they will be like angels.

Fourthly scripture declares that all men are destined to die once then the resurrection and Christ being our forerunner to the resurrection is no exception.

Fifthly John also identities the form of the resurrected Christ in the following verse:

1 John 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Sixthly the risen Christ is no longer in the servant form of Adam One but has taken on the Kingly form of the Angel of the Lord’s presence.

Jesus would not say he was Alpha and Omega before his resurrection, whilst he was in the servant form of a man, yet after his resurrection, he took on a different form to the incarnation form, as John testified in 1 John 3:2 by which the mortal Adam One body was put to rest and a new angelic form was put on, in the same way John is instructing the believers in his time, in the verse I quoted above.

Seventhly it is clear in scripture that flesh and bone will not enter into heaven and Christ form is revealed by John as follows:

Revelation 10:6-11
And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.
And the voice which I heard from heaven spake unto me again, and said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel which standeth upon the sea and upon the earth.
**And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. **And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey.
And I took the little book out of the angel’s hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey:and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter. And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Notice John is revealing the risen lord as the seventh angel who sounds the trumpet of God and declares time no longer.

Notice also that this angel stands on the sea, that symbolises the many peoples of all nations and the earth, that symbolises the creation of God. This angel stands upon peoples and creation because all authority is given into his hand.

Importantly notice this seventh angel gives John the book to preach from. This book is the Gospel and the Angel is the risen Lord who gives John his Gospel to prophesy onto all nations.

See what I mean?

Do you have a question friend?

Yes, who was it that came up with the term “Adam one”?

scripturecatholic.com/sacramentals.html

Happy reading.
:cool:

Could you please identify your communion/community/denomination if you have one? Or is this your own personal understanding?

Jon

That’s some fine exegesis there.

But why should I accept your teaching over the teaching of some guy on the street?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.