Icons of specific events

Does anyone know of any icons that would fit these specific events?

[LIST]
*]Finding Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:42-52)
*]Jesus being scourged at the pillar
*]Jesus carrying His cross
[/LIST]

I’ve done some searching on line but I can’t find anything for these.

To my knowledge these events are traditionally depicted in Eastern iconography. Your best bet would be to find Western images of them. I’ll do a little looking, though, and see if I can find anything. :thumbsup:

Okay, the closest I could find to anything you mentioned was:

[LIST]
*]Christ in Prison and/or the “Nymphios” Christ the Bridegroom in place of the scourging at the pillar.
*]The Crucifixion is the closest thing you’ll find to the carry of the Cross.
*]No near equivalent to the finding in the Temple
[/LIST]

I hope that helps at least some. :slight_smile:

Icon of the Twelve-Year-Old Jesus in the Temple

The emphasis of this Icon, as is typical thematically of icons of Christ, is the action of Christ in the given instance (i.e. His teaching, rather than the Holy Parents finding him in the course of His teaching). It is possible that this may explain the seeming absence of an icon of the “finding” in Eastern iconography. The “finding” seems to be the theme of many Western artistic portrayals.

Here’s a link to another writing being offered commercially: Twelve-Year-Old Jesus in the Temple (@ Aperges.com).

I would agree with my Melkite brother Phillip that the Nymphios (Christ the Bridegroom) and/or the Axra Tapeinosis (Extreme Humility) would be the traditional depictions of Christ for Holy Week observance and reflection.

I have seen some non-traditional depictions of the events of Christ passion depicted in iconographic style, offered online by a source which has come under some seemingly rightful scrutiny here on the CAF and elsewhere (Monastery Icons). These depictions followed the Latin Rite imagery associated with the Stations of the Cross (a bit of a give-away as to the authenticity of these images in relation to iconographic tradition). I have yet to see similar items in Eastern Christian churches or offered by traditional iconographers.

That said, the website mentioned previously (Aperges.com) is offering an iconographic print entitled “The Ascent to Golgotha”. I’m not sure how “authentic” it might be, as St. Simon of Cyrene is not depicted with halo (among other inconsistencies).

Thanks for the info so far, everyone!

I appreciate the help - I was trying to avoid purely Western images of them, if at all possible.

I had thought about the Christ the Bridegroom icon - if I couldn’t come up with others I was going to use that.
As for the Crucifixion icon, I’m not sure that will work, but I appreciate the suggestion.
As for Finding in the Temple - I assumed that would not be a cakewalk to find. :blush:

This could work - hadn’t seen that before. Thanks!!

Thanks!

Also, I ran across this icon of Jesus carrying His cross. Does this seem like an “authentically Eastern” icon? I guess I mean, does it seem to have held true to the rules of writing an icon?

It was also on ocawonder.com and the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s site at metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/29.158.746.

I like it, but do not think it is a fully authenic iconographic rendering. In fact, the description on the museum’s website seems to explain it well and fairly, indicating one notable usage of Western vs. Eastern dipiction (Christ shown carrying the cross Himself) and noting that the work was probably intended to appeal to both Orthodox and Latin patrons.

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

Here’s a Coptic ikon of the scourging at the pillar.

hope it helps…

http://theotokos.org/images/iconography/scourging-of-our-lord.jpg

Thanks. I’m going to rephrase the question a bit though. Do you (or anyone else) think, aside from Christ carrying His cross, that there is anything that stands out as “incorrect” (perhaps color or other depictions) from an Eastern standpoint? or…Would it be “wrong” to have this icon in one’s icon corner for daily prayer? For clarification, I put incorrect and wrong in quotes because I don’t think an icon that is used for the greater glory of God, for prayer, or for bringing one closer to God can truly be incorrect or wrong. I’m just referring to what would traditionally be considered for this icon. Thanks!

Unless the imagery was somehow contrary to Scripture or Tradition, I don’t think it would be at all inappropriate to include a “non-traditional” icon in your icon corner for prayer and reflection. Icons are supposed to “speak” to us, and it seems that is what you seek. I do have some “icons” that are of the “untraditional” type, but they do have meaning to me personally and I do not believe they reflect “error”. Most of mine, though, are the very traditional type, as I find it helpful to be able to speak to my kids about holy days, events and saints with the aid of iconographic “lessons”.

FWIW - I do think the icon you posted is very nice, and if it adds to your prayer life, go for it! Perhaps reciting the Jesus Prayer before it will add an appropriate level of “Eastern touch”! Ask your priest to bless it for you, as is customary.

Christ is risen!

Thanks for that. It won’t actually be going in my icon corner (at least, not right away). It’s actually for a personal project I’m working on…if the finish product works out well, then it will surely end up in my icon corner. I really appreciate the input, by the way! :thumbsup:

Indeed, He is risen!

Thank you for the icon! While I do appreciate Coptic icons, I’m not sure this one fits in with what I’m looking for. I do appreciate the help though!

Voistinu voskres!

This is from a Russian Festal icon…

http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~djb/2008_draskoczy-icon/original/icon_19_scourging.png

All these subjects are depicted iconographically - best examples are frescoes in the interior of a church where everything has its correct place and composition (for details consult the Icon Painter’s Manual of Dionysios of Fourna (has been translated into English) or Photis Kontoglou’s ‘Ekphrasis’ (probably only available in Greek)).

In first example, finding Jesus in the temple, note Mary and Joseph to the left of the scene showing Jesus teaching the temple elders.

srpskoblago.org/Archives/Sopocani/exhibits/digital/middle-zn,south-wmtit/sop-cx4j0679.html

All the passion scenes exist in fresco - e.g.:

srpskoblago.org/Archives/Decani/exhibits/Collections/PassionChrist/CX4K2755.html

srpskoblago.org/Archives/Decani/exhibits/Collections/PassionChrist/CX4K2777.html

rel.gr/photo/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=153

They also exist as panel icons, to be set out for veneration - best examples are the double sided ‘tabletki’ from St Sophia cathedral, Novgorod - published by Lazarev several years ago.

These are great to see…thanks for posting!

Agreed! Great finds, indeed! Thanks for sharing!

this book has recently (last 12 months) been published in a coffee-table size hardback with GORGEOUS color fotos! It was published by SOFRINO. I’ll check with my friend who is an ikonographer and see if I can get ISBN number from his copy.

hope this helps…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.